Sunk Cost Fallacy

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TLP Addict, May 11, 2023.

1. manglered Lorekeeper

i was really looking forward to trying this out in the beginning. i wasn't super keen on FTE but thought hey its something different to try out and change up the gameplay a bit aka something new.

the key word here is "TRY" ... there is no chance that this debacle on test will even be "try-able" if it launches with Oakwynd ... as the topic suggests by the OP ... cut your losses and save some face with your customers ... don't pass off a half-as*ed facsimile of your original idea and expect customers to not question your actions

what is happening on test right now is down right embarrassing and it boggles my mind that people will still throw there money at a sub-standard product.
    Hobitses and TLP Addict like this.
  2. Runes Augur

If you want it so badly, then lobby hard for Devs to launch two servers, one Oakwynd with FTE and one with same ruleset without FTE and then we all will see the real world dumpster fire that is FTE play out and after a month when Oakwynd is a ghost town you will finally realize how bad FTE is. They had to pack Oakwynd with other benefits to entice people to look past the fail that FTE is. If FTE is that great, make two servers with and without FTE and let the market choose.
    Kraked likes this.
  3. Jontrann Augur

Trust me if they are pushing this hard to get FTE on Oakwynd its just a matter of time before it hits the live servers as well, including being standardized for all future TLP servers going forward.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Before anyone plays on Oakwynd they should go play on test, there they can help address the problems with the FTE directly, and they can get a taste of just how messed up it is, or isn't.

But at least they will have much more realistic expectations.
    Doranur_Aleguzzler likes this.
  5. code-zero Augur

Here's the thing for me, I really don't care if there's a FTE TLP server and it works there just like they want it too. I don't want it touching a server I play on because I don't want to have to deal with whatever niggling bugs that are sure to develop and will primarily affect non-TLP. The issues with low health and sitting aggro come to mind. I wondered if that may not have an effect but thought surely not but it did. Mobs already do enough stupid things when you're trying to wrangle them. Of course there's always the people who'll say you don't need crowd control if you have a good tank and high DPS but I'd be concerned that there's something about aggro that'd even mess that up.
  6. Gio1999 Augur

I think Oakwynd is actually a production test environment and we're paying to test various conditions... oh I'm sorry "evolutions".
  7. coltongrundy Augur

cap

nobody really wants it. anyone who claims they do either hasn't actually put any thought into how it will effect the game or is just a troll who wants to create a terrible experience for everyone else.
    Doze likes this.
  8. xxar Augur

I have seen it work in eq2 and prefer the system , there is no trolling involved.

I do agree , the system needs to be fixed and coded to work as intended.
  9. Dalyrina Elder

That's great except for the small little detail that it works nothing like eq2's nor are there any plans to make it work that way.
  10. xxar Augur

The original concept , is not even the version that is on test. I also have stated it needs to be fixed , you are acting as if this will not be refined or even worked on. I expect them to be coding the required changes to make it viable , if this is there intention moving forward with TLP's.
  11. Dalyrina Elder

What is viable in this case? Ive yet to see one person come up with an actual version of this that makes any sense with the direction they intend on taking.

The combination of choices they have made in regards to oog aggro, yell still providing loot and exp, and the leash process do not work and will not work. They are attempting to thread an unthreadable needle. Even though Im not a fan of eq2's fte or fte in general, that version atleast made some logical sense.
  12. Tucoh Augur

If you'd like to try this feature out, get a time machine to when WoW and other MMOs copying WoW had this feature before they realized what a mistake it is and abandoned it.

Why DPG developers think that this was a good concept in 2023 is beyond everyone here.
  13. sadre Augur

Exactly.
    EQ2 was always doable, since you were working with the actual game design. Depending on what expansion one is talking about, game mechanics worked pretty fluid. If you didn't like it, that is one thing.

But this is not even going to be eq2.

Remember. We have learned great lessons these days in real life.

Just document the atrocities. Let the people know. They must know. They must be told what is happening. What is going to happen. This server is going to be like a Turkish prison. Or an Amish bride-swap. Or the worst: both.
  14. Mashef Augur

so you are saying you are an active hacker/cheater. Noted. Because the exploiters are the people supporting FTE. I would be cautious about being downright supportive of something like FTE that blatantly rewards and encourages use of a certain hacking program.
  15. Mashef Augur

This years server was chosen to be this way because another game launches 6 days later that will crush the EQ server population no matter what type of server they put out. Year 24 TLP is just a sacrificial lamb that they chose expecting low subs anyways.

You just have to wait until TLP 25 and pray to baby rallos that they come up with something better then they did at 20, 23, and 24 year servers.
  16. xxar Augur

I have no idea where you came up with this nonsense , just because I have seen FTE and how it can work and improve eq (if fixed) makes me a cheater or using 3rd party programs?

That is laughable at best , no offense you have no clue wtf you are even talking about.
  17. Mestik New Member

Then I don't see the problem.

If your saying that the people not wanting FTE would overload the poll to get FTE removed, and im suggesting a poll because I want FTE removed...

The people that want FTE removed are going to complain if its removed by a poll, or if its removed for any reason. I don't want it unless it works in a sensible way and doesnt change other aspects of the game that make the game what it is. As it stands now, it breaks the game to the point of being unplayable.
    Kraked and Doze like this.
  18. Mestik New Member

So mobs ignore you while returning to camp while speed walking?

This is Everquest. People are trying to play Everquest. Removing dangers from the world are a mistake as that's one of the things that makes Everquest good.
    Doze likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The issue is that the polls get manipulated to make it look like something has more support than actually has and it can be hard to prevent people from voting multiple times to skew the results.
  20. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

I did just that yesterday, and saw first hand how bad it is, and I can guarantee you that I'm not nearly as proficient a tester as the folks that have put out videos already on the subject. You made a great suggestion, and hopefully people will follow it, I'm sure they would come to at least a very similar conclusion, FTE as it currently stands breaks the game.
    FTE is a good idea on paper, but currently just doesn't work. It's worth continuing work on, but not in a live beta environment called Oakwynd.
    Skuz likes this.