Mischief or Oakwynd?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Olestra, May 8, 2023.

1. Appren Gnomercy

Mischief doesnt have a "fast as hell" experience rate? no servers have that after Selo. If you mean "is it faster than P99?" then hell yes, it is!
  2. Chikkin Augur

Has there been any confirmed or "we're leaning towards" type comments on changes since the official announcement that really riled up a bunch of people? (I too was kinda ehhh about the ruleset myself, and I too hope they do free trade or double loot or both)

As for loot pinata... after 7 straight months of hardcore Mischief action, which is the most EQ I've done since 99-2001, I have to say.... man... that whole loot pinata doesn't really seem so bad when you're doing raids and people with tons of DKPs are bidding against new players in the guild. When you have like 6 Rangers, or 6 Clerics, the newest members are still not going to be geared like the veterans until after a month or two of raiding.

Mischief is still the best, I just am I think done with hardcore stuff for now, but excited to do a "level 1 all over again" on just about any ruleset, but man i hope they make OakWynd better than the original release ruleset.

Edit: I mean, there really is no over-hype for Mischief, it even got me to the point where I fixed 2 computers, and dug out an old laptop so i could 4 box. I haven't "old school" multi-boxed since ... well 99-2001.
  3. Blastoff Augur

I think Oakwynd would be a lot better if they just released all of the modifiers up front instead of expansion by expansion. The server pop will probably have petered out before a lot of the best features come online. As for FTE, it solves some sources of friction between players and creates others. I don't think that feature is all that big of a deal for 90% of the time you spend playing the game, more if you are casual. Not being free trade makes this server really vulnerable to die off if next year's tlp is free trade. Free trade just saves so much wasted time with raid gear being cheap to play catch up or start an alt with. No farming junk gear just to be raid worthy. The most amazing part of free trade, though, is being able to round up all of the loot and bid it out after raids so you don't have to waste time on loot during raids. I'm sure I've saved 40+ hours in a couple years of Mischief just because I don't have to wait around for bidding if there's nothing I want. As a result, most of our raids are under 2 hours which is really really nice for qol and burnout.
    Critt likes this.
  4. WeCameWeConquered Elder

10s and 10s of people will be on Oakflop...
    Agarikon, Familycat23 and Vlahkmaak like this.
  5. Olestra Elder

Decided to go mischief for now. going to go with a sk/shaman/maybe wiz trio (once my third mini pc is delivered)

Appreciate all the feed back
  6. Jontrann Augur

It's also being called "Shitwynd"
    Familycat23 likes this.
  7. Chikkin Augur

Now that the EQ playerbase has gotten a taste of free-trade/double random'ed loot..... it's really hard for a lot of people to go back. Sure not EVERYbody likes it, but it's also the reason (free trade that is) that FV server has slowly grown to become the most populated live server.

The dev team knows this.... but not sure why they hold back. -- I do remember Absor said in the AMA live Discord (or maybe it was in a thread) a few years back kept telling people "you think you want free trade, but you don't" .... and then they did it and BAHM!
    ForumBoss and Vlahkmaak like this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

FTFY

Factually incorrect, there are a whole lot more reasons why FV has been as popular as it is, if Free Trade were the sole reason for popularity then Brekt would not have been a desolate wasteland of a server & Thornblade would not be so bereft of players.
    Random Loot is more than Free Trade so that complicates the logic regarding Mischief's popularity.
    There are, as with most things, limitations, in this case on how far the popularity of any ruleset stretches & Thornblade already indicates 1 TLP is enough beyond that first-stage TLP bum-rush most TLP get.

And again, Mischief was not "naked" Free Trade, Random Loot is more than that, a TLP is more than that, your logic is erroroneous in its blatant reductionism.

I am happy Mischief was a success, successful TLP are good for the game, but let it have it's run without cannibalising it's population with a same-ruleset new TLP before that run completes.
    It has enough staunch recyclers who bailed out & abandoned such a wonderfully popular server already without creating more & sabotaging Mischief's success prematurely in the process, be less selfish & think about the players & guilds who are still active on Mischief.

Most of the same people calling for a new Mischief will just abandon it anyway, just as they already did Mischief, I don't think their noise is what the devs should be listening to, as soon as they've done their typical recyler-run of 1-5 expansions they will be back crying for another, and they'll get what they want soon enough.

Ultimately if you loved the Mischief server's ruleset enough you would still be there playing on it. If you genuinely missed the start go play on it until the next one like it is opened, I am sure even recyclers would be welcomed to re-fill the ranks of the guilds still active there & would even help you catch up & you can build connections until the fresh start you want becomes available, maybe even having a bunch of new friends to start the next one with.
    But....you probably won't do that because the recycler in you will stubbornly refuse & continue making selfish demands that would in all probability directly undermine the Mischief server success.
  9. Olestra Elder

well I tried to create a character on mischief one on a box pc working great, main pc is disconnecting me as soon as i create and log in. I've delete ini files and tried, reset modem/router and tried, tried logging in the box pc, still nothing. currently reinstalling the entire game but I am not holding out much hope there either. /sigh why they gotta make this so damn difficult
  10. Obliteration Elder

Because many of us refuse to play random loot.

Some bad players may like to kill the easiest groupable raid mobs on cooldown for top end items, but many of us want to play with others to get the best items as was the intent of the game upon release.

I can put up with free trade, even bonus loot to some extent, but random loot is a huge no from me and many others.
  11. jeskola pheerie

bunch of krono-smoking crackheads imo
    Fallfyres likes this.
  12. Chikkin Augur

Hi Skuz, not sure if you remember me lol, but we actually get along man.

As for my comments...

I am not forum'ing as much these days, so don't have the time to pick apart and debate your points. Not blowing them off, just saying, I saw you wrote a lot, and I am already behind today on things.

To clarify or discuss your direct replies to me, let me see:

1) You took out my "a lot of" out. -- Well I mean, nobody has specific data etc, to win a debate on this. I based my opinons and assumptions on the fact that Mischief and FV are the two busiest servers in the game right now. Thornblade is a Mischief clone as you know, and started out very healthy, it's only a matter of time before they're merged together. When I was playing Mischief, people were getting a "head start" on the merge of Thornblade/Mischief, by going ahead and just coming on over to Mischief. This was 6 months ago, I can only imagine now. -- was just a simple situation where the ruleset was so good, 1 server would not have been enough, and once one dies out, they'll be joined. I mean, i know you know this.

2) Took a long time to become the busiest live server. I base my opinion/assumption/statement on being around when FV server first came out, and then also spending several straight months clocking all EQ populations by the hour, 24 hours a day, before (and until) EQ Resource started doing it. -- FV server is the busiest live server on EQ because it's Free trade. It also continues to grow.

-- now, I know you know your stuff, so I'm not talking trying to come off like some expert. So when I ask "what are the many (other) reasons that FV is the busiest live server" that you said. That's me obviously saying my version of what you said, i didn't bother to go up and straight copy paste your exact words.

-- Now I guess, one could argue, it's the busiest live server because it's the only one that has that ruleset at Live. That all the players who don't like free trade make up all the other servers, that if you combine their population would dwarf FV. Could make that point.

As for Brekt, other than knowing it was once a server, I don't know anything about it, without going to google to get smart on it, can't comment on that.

3) As for this, I'm not quite sure where I rubbed you wrong on this one. All TLPs are always busy at start. But Mischief still being so busy at this point in it's life, and still growing? They struck gold with it. My opinion of course, not like I work for DPG.

As for not playing there anymore, I liked it so much I burned myself out on it, 4 boxing, and raiding 4 nights a week man. I couldn't cut back without stepping away. That's why i left. For Oakwynd, or any other server, I see it as a fun level 1 start, where I will happily 3 box, and mostly only play 1 day a week (Saturdays) and still be able to get to level caps on time, but probably never join a raid guild, if any guild. That's why I don't play there anymore, or go restart there.

In the end, maybe I read you wrong, but you seemed almost mad in your post. -- But if you look at our post history and interactions from about a year ago. You and I co-signed (Liked) each other stuff several times and agreed on numerous things. I like you man!

-- Anybody else who quoted me, or I offended, riled up. Sorry, was not my intent. I was merely answering the guy who said Oakwynd or Mischief, and currently (I feel) if they want a level 1 experience, then it really doesn't matter what the new server is like, wait for it. -- If they don't want to wait, then go get on Mischief (and not any other TLP or Live server) is my opinion. Hey that was the name of the thread anyway.

Again, not looking to piss people off. My bad to those I did.
  13. Chikkin Augur

I am also generalizing when I agree with your generalizing when I say "You're not wrong, lol"
    jeskola likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I really didn't feel mad, or angry writing that but a whole lot of folks have gotten the very same vibe from other posts & not just on these forums so maybe it's just who I am.

Captain America "Doctor Banner, now might be a really good time for you to get angry!"
    Dr Banner "That's my secret, I'm always Angry"

Berserker for life I guess.
    Chikkin likes this.
  15. pipedreams3 Journeyman

When I first heard about FTE i said f_it and went to Mischief. I leveled a necro to 70 almost fully solo with /lfg on the whole time and didn't see a single person in any of the zones i was leveling. I didn't buy krono and it took a couple weeks. The only exception was when I joined a PL group in velks. Even at max level I don't feel as if i have any value or contribute to groups so i stopped playing.
    The server is great but WAY too top heavy. Hoping FTE gets dropped so i can play on oakwynd without having to beta test a 24 year old game...
    Chikkin and Wordor like this.
  16. Chikkin Augur

Fo'sho!

(but i'll go roll there no matter what)
    Agarikon likes this.
  17. Regulus New Member

Is Crescent Reach unlocked on Mischief yet? I have no idea what expansion that is but was curious about making a few alts there.
  18. Chikkin Augur

ya in like Jan/Feb

Was a very happy day.

The only day that will match that anytime soon is when Mercs come in September.
    Regulus likes this.
  19. Mestik New Member

Mischief might get a population tick increase when Oakwynd launches if they roll out FTE in its current iteration.

It's not playable at the moment. You can dump mobs on people that are permanently invulnerable without them zoning out, and anything they implement in the period of time they have wont be adequately tested and is likely to introduce new bugs and exploits.
  20. Fallfyres Augur

----------------------

Definitely notice that also Trox2010. Lots and lots of posts/suggestions of ways to zoom up fast to endgame, spend money to buy Krono etc.

Some players will want to start on this new server BECAUSE it won't be a loot pinata as has been suggested in some posts. Maybe for a decent period of time peeps will be able to group up; help their own alts etc. Also, there definitely ARE players who range from 'never ever' spends any funds ingame other than the subscription payment, to many who may spend small amounts on what they consider "fluff" items only.