Advanced Loot Filters: Need/Greed?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Agrippa, May 9, 2023.

1. Agrippa Augur

I'm wondering how to best use the advanced loot filtering for grouping with strangers? All of my friends and guildmates use Greed or just pass on anything that their specific character wouldn't use. We're a dated bunch, though, I suppose, and I'm finding that most players use the Need filter for anything that drops. Is there a convenient way that I'm missing to toggle from one setting to another? Once the filters are set, the items no should no longer pop up for inquery, no? Or am I missing a step or two?
    Graag Baash likes this.
  2. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

Once you set your filters you can always change them either manually though the edit filters button or the quicker way which is to just change the filter when an item drops.
    There is also a setting that makes it so your AdvLoot window doesnt pop up if you already have a filter applied to the item that dropped. If you want the AdvLoot window to pop up so you can the items no matter the filter settings youll want to turn that off.
    PCSS likes this.
  3. Agrippa Augur

Thank you for the reply. It sounds like the Auto Show Loot Window option should work for this purpose. I'd have to reselect the options for each and every item, though, for these awkward pickup groups? Or is there anything that I can do as master looter to have all trash drops rolled upon with the Greed setting?
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

A few TLP's ago I was just like you, and I set my filters to Greed unless I actually wanted to equip the item. Don't do that.

Set absolutely everything that you want to Need. Whether that's vendor loots, quest items, gear you'll actually equip - doesn't matter. Need all of it. This is the standard approach in 95%+ of the random groups you will find. If someone is leading a pickup group and they expect different loot rules, honestly they probably haven't played in 20+ years and won't know what they are doing, but at the very least they need to make that clear when they invite you.

In some cases an item might drop that is obviously an upgrade for a certain class in your group. If you win that item, it's entirely up to you if you want to give the item to the class that can equip it, or offer to trade it for something, or just keep it yourself. This of course typically only applies to tradeable items.

All tradeable items have value, and nobody in the group deserves it more than anyone else does. A few players who haven't played since 2001 will insist that loot should be "NBG" but the vast majority of the TLP population does not ascribe to this.

When you're playing with your close friends or guildmates, you may decide to distribute loot in the more old school "NBG" style. And that's totally fine. But the thing is, it's very easy to do this even if everyone already has all their filters set to Need. Just let the items roll out and distribute them as you see fit.

You know what's not easy though? Constantly toggling your filters between need/greed for every single item depending who you are grouping with. So don't set yourself up for that. Set things to either Need or Never, and pretend that Greed isn't even there.
    PCSS likes this.
  5. Weverley Augur

I don't know if that is still the case but certain guild would get mad at you if you mark need on something you can't equip. Better for you to check when you join a guild what are the rules for this particular guild. many will have an officer deciding who get what too but they gonna change the loot rules themselves like if you get a plane of sky group
    PCSS likes this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Different people do different things.

In my groups, the rule is Greed on items except for what you need for your character. So, if there is an item you would equip that is an upgrade, then Need. If there is a Collectable you don't already have, Need.

Pretty much everything else is Greed.

Trying to claim you Need a tradeskill ingredient when they drop all the time and everyone can use them is not what we believe is Need.

Trying to say you Need everything is Greedy. :cool:
    minimind and PCSS like this.
  7. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Based on your question, which was one I had first time I was a master looter, you might need to expand out the window to see all the settings. Until you expand the window, the settings in the default view make it look like you can't mark anything.

As master looter, though, you do have options to see what others are marking and totally ignore their marks, too.

I made a blog post when I was being asked some questions about it. This is just some of the basics I have learned over the last couple years. There are even more things you can do with the master looting that I have barely begun to figure out on my own. https://rijacki-game.blogspot.com/2023/04/eq-looting-for-novice.html
    Graag Baash, PCSS, Treeluvr and 2 others like this.
  8. Agrippa Augur

Thank you for the further details. As a master looter, I'd be able to override any need selections on greed items in this way?
  9. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

The "Ask" option will put all the asks in the secondary window where you can assign based on the asks or ignoring them, but it is a lot more managing.

"Roll" initiates the roll. "Ask and Roll" combines the two and will do the roll based on the ask type.

"Auto" everything and eventually the Adv Loot window stays away except for something not in your filters.This has become my goal as non-master and master :)
    PCSS likes this.
  10. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

I dont believe there is any way to have more than one set of loot filters. Aside from creating a set then renaming your loot filter file in your EQ folder then making another set and switching those files out as needed. That sounds like a pain though.
  11. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Filter is still for the character, not the group (other than the auto ask/roll options). The need/greed/no saved filter is character only.

Other than doing an ask and assigning every item, I do not believe there is any way to impose others from setting need to everything vs need only to the things they actually need (for more than just selling).

The selfish argument made for rolling "need", even in the days long before the advanced loot window is "well I 'need' the money for my character's stuff, therefore I need that item even if I can't use it and someone else in the group can." It's one of the reasons people hate to PUG.
    PCSS and Fanra like this.
  12. Crashdummy Elder

I need everything unless I do not want it, if an item pops such as gear or vendor loot, I defer to the extra folk (a benefit of being game wealthy, or sort of)
  13. Hegsheoshed Augur

I have been in groups where people were doing need for class specific no trade gear they could not use because Tribute!
  14. Joliet New Member

My heart wants to set everything I don't need to greed. However, my experience is that I will rarely ever get anything, especially items I can use, want or need, unless I need everything. When in Rome, so to speak.

I really wish the guilt could be removed from advanced loot by making a defauilt loot that simply works as "Always Need", "Always want", "Always do not want", with the one-time "want"/"do not want" as well. That's essentally what most people end up doing by Needing everything.
  15. Graag Baash New Member

Thanks for starting this thread. It can be confusing, it's like EQ needs a definitive Maslow's Hierarchy for lewt because there are levels of "need".

My character needs this drop and will wear/use it right now as an upgrade/quest item.
    My character needs this drop and might wear/use it sometime soon as an upgrade/quest item.
    My character needs this for cash 'cause they have bills to pay ( Mercs ain't free!) or tradeskills to grow.
    My character needs this for tribute.
    etc etc

The different way people play makes something universally agree upon difficult.
    It is complicated by the fact that plat is still scarce for returning players (on Live) but for many long time players plat is borderline meaningless.

I hope it is always OK to ask what the group standards are and trust that they will respond in good faith.
  16. Scordax New Member

Xyroff said it correctly. It took me awhile to figure it out. From as early a level as possible start setting NEED or NEVER for every item that drops. It will save you a great deal of time in more ways than one. You can also copy over another account characters loot settings. Saves time on alts.

As for NBG.... in this game there are caster camps and melee camps. You should need on everything always because you can always sell it to buy something of equal value for your class. Anyone who says different is most likely a noob or taking the item to sell anyway because they have the gear in their shared bank waiting after your group. Many scammers and many scams. Make friends, be loyal to guildies and don't trust whiners or people who try to manipulate or intimidate you. Basic rules of life.