Mischief or Oakwynd?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Olestra, May 8, 2023.

1. Olestra Elder

Very seriously thinking about making a long overdue return to Everquest with the release of the new TLP, but after reading the rulesets I think Mischief actually looks like a better ruleset. I'm currently torn between the classic server, starting from the bottom with everyone else and a server with rules more in line with what I'd find ideal but would have to play catch up (which I don't enjoy tbh). thoughts?

How is the low end of Mischief for grouping or will I be soloing through the bulk of my levels?
  2. Dalyrina Elder

Finding a group at low levels on mischief will probably not be a good time at this point. Really the goal should be get to 50, then hope someone lets you join in on whatever they are doing with current content.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

There is no low end grouping on any server after the first few months

If you play on Mischief you'll be looking to join a guild, maybe find someone else who is leveling up a new alt, otherwise solo your way up to be within grouping range of the level cap. Fortunately the level cap is only 75 and you have TSS/live era xp, so it's honestly not that tough of a process.

If you play on Oakwynd you'll find groups immediately at low levels all over the world, but then you're stuck longterm with a ruleset you may not like as much.

Up to you which of those sounds more appealing.
  4. UltrawideGameGuy New Member

I think I'm going to try Oakwynd at least until Mischief has mercs (September?). Gives an option to switch to Mischief and catch up much easier playing molo to try out max level.
  5. Olestra Elder

This might be a valid option. how long before mercs become available? and do they work as well as boxing or grouping with real players? (sorry never used a merc, only read of them)
  6. Kabouter New Member

Just play both. Daily 30min lesson burns on mischief to level twice as fast and if you have time left to play oakwynd for that fresh server experience.
    It is very easy to get to max level at mischief and if you are willing to buy a krono or 2, you will be near BiS with your character.
    Blastoff and Appren like this.
  7. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

September 14th.

Tank mercs at low levels are extremely powerful. This is intended as a catch up mechanic. Once you get closer to the level cap (which is 85 when mercs are introduced) their relative power scales back down to that of a pretty mediocre player tank. They don't use discs at intelligent times, but they do have decent enough AC/HP to function as a group tank in a lot of situations.

Healer mercs are serviceable at all levels, but always inferior to a real cleric.

DPS mercs are always way behind players in DPS numbers, but better than having an empty group slot... sometimes.
    Olestra likes this.
  8. Olestra Elder

I am assuming they can not be used in a raid setting?

either way it sounds like an option I may try in september, ty
  9. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Mercs cannot be used at all if the players are in raid format (via /raidinvite).

Most raid DZ's will also not allow mercs to be used. The exception to this is for Agent of Change based DZ's. These do allow mercs to be unsuspended once you're inside the instance. But Agent of Change DZ's only exist up through Prophecy of Ro expansion (level 70 content), and mercs don't come out until Seeds of Destruction (level 85 content). So you'd never find a situation where a merc can be used with any current era raid content.
    Olestra likes this.
  10. Blastoff Augur

If you play on Mischief you're playing on the healthiest tlp by far to ever reach TBS. Also, the server is drowning in loot so you can get a set of the last expansions raid gear for a couple Kronos. This is by far the best tlp to play catch up on. There may not be tons of groups at low levels, but you will be so over geared for under a krono leveling up that every class is an op solo class. Oakwynd is dead in a year if you have any intention of seeing past PoP. Mischief is healthy at least until another free trade server comes out.
    Appren likes this.
  11. Appren Gnomercy

If you think you will be in it for the long run - Mischief. Strong population, easy to catch up, awesome ruleset overall.

If you think this is a thing you'll probably be doing for a few months before dropping off again, due to RL or whatever, do the whole everyone is level 1 thing on Oakwynd.
  12. Obliteration Elder

Oakwynd gets better every xpac
  13. Fractalis New Member

Oakwynd is not DOA like a lot of people claim, we haven't seen yet how bad the aggro changes will be to the average player. A lot of energy has been put in talking crap about the server but I think the expansion bonuses and the heirloom thing make it an amazing server while keeping a true EQ experience (Mischief is just a big loot piñata let's face it :p)
    Ulrin and Fallfyres like this.
  14. Olestra Elder

I personally never thought it would/will be DOA, the fte thing doesnt bother me, my main concerns are the heirloom thing means nothing to me as i'll be running 2, maybe 3 accounts with no alts. random loot would've been nice since the better item camps on regular loot servers are always perma camped by krono farmers. ie fbss gebs and fungi early on
  15. Agrippa Augur

Is Mischief amongst the rest of the servers that have fast-as-hell leveling experience basically forced upon you prior to expendable glyph AAs? Even on Oakwynd, would it be reasonably feasible to level at my own pace prior to 51st level? These aren't going to be classic experience rates, for certain, regardless, no?
  16. Domniatric Augur

Put some consideration into what expansions you want to experience. If you want to see the later half of EQ expansions Mischief. If you want the old original experience perhaps Oakwynd.

Leveling on Mischielf shouldn't be too hard. Although you will probably not have much luck doing it in a traditional LFG/grouping way.

You could either twink a character or more than one (if you box) with gear that makes you virtual gods with a single krono and level yourself. With out of combat regen and god gear almost any class can level themselves. Some better than others obviously. Do this in zones where people will be powerleveling their characters and try to luck into one of these groups by just being there and asking nicely.

The most populated leveling zones are the progression of zones from crescent reach then once you get around 40 you can probably find a group in velks and once you get around 55 you can probably find a group in paw. Paw can take you to max although it is slow after 70.

With a krono, some luck, and some decent playtime. You could probably have max character(s) on Mischief in a week or less.
  17. Trox2010 Augur

I have to say I've noticed a common theme in a lot of these come to Mischief posts; "Hey you'll have a great time on Mischief as long as you are willing to spend $20-$60 to buy all your stuff, and solo to max level." Not once have I heard anyone say "come to Mischief and check out xyz guilds; they constantly have people leveling up alts to group with and we can even toss some decent gear your way."

Just something I have noticed.
    Fallfyres and HealBigBoy like this.
  18. magikarp Elder

i have found groups on mischief just last week following TSS leveling path (crescent -> moors), as well as velks, and franklin hotzones for exactly 1-50. mind you these aren’t exactly holy trinity comp groups. it’s really whoever happens to be the same level as you and it seems to work fine.

with defiant gear it’s pretty easy to just grab or join a stranger or two and make some good progress

after 50 they seem to dry up, coincidentally the same level you can go and buy a plvl to 75 in 4 hrs. but i bet you could make groups if you’re patient and willing to solo a little while you wait

i’d just login now and mess around on mischief, then hop to oakwynd for the launch event and see if you like it enough to stay. launches are a great time to come back and play similar to the ways you probably remember
  19. Jardad Journeyman

Fully dependent on what your goal is and if you want to Sub* or F2P ?
    Fresh start /classic ? Then you want Oaky *
    Speed to level/gear ups tradable items,, you want Mischief * (type)
    (different servers are in different expansions)
    Live if you want Merc & Tradable gear F.V.
    Coming back and not totally sure you want to grind all over again ? just go Live or Test as a F2P
    Consider server Populations ?
  20. Pikollo Augur

Start on Thornblade. Mischief is overpopulated. There have been some low levels here LFG the past week. If you want a higher pop you can always xfer to mischief. I personally wouldn't consider Oakwynd though. A lot of people playing on Mischief/Thornblade agree the ruleset is one of the best.

Also I am sure many guilds on TB would help PL you if you just want to get up to speed.
    yepmetoo likes this.