Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Kazzuk Elder

Umm, read the FAQ, they can also reset a short time after losing hate, like a fd, gate, death, etc.
  2. Kazzuk Elder

There are many ways to drop hate without dying (gate, fd, memblur, coth, fade, zone). Sure some of those come later or vastly improve later, fairly late in the game every class gets a long reuse fade...

So no, most will not be training by dying.
    Doze and MasterMagnus like this.
  3. Xerpaderp New Member

"Short" will be 60-120 seconds... will see on test
  4. pipedreams3 Journeyman

a lot of people are upset for a lot of different reasons. but ultimately no matter which side of the fence you're on here, you have to agree that in the current state of Oakwynd, everyone loses.

a launch of the server is an important time. if there is 141 pages of people arguing about it, it probably isn't popular with many, and if it's not popular everyone loses because nobody wants to join an empty server. You don't have to care about FTE to be negatively impacted by it. It's evaporating trust in development while simultaneously dividing the community. Those aren't exactly expendable resources on dbg's table right now. Not to mention that there's half a dozen other games with a similar release date...

So yeah, people are upset, but not only because of the ruleset, but largely of the way it's being implemented. It's a big change that almost nobody wants that presents obvious exploits with no testing and no alternative. the very least they could do is what they've done before, was provide a second server people could go to when they suspected one was going to be a flop.
    Doze and MasterMagnus like this.
  5. Dalyrina Elder

And this laughing at expecting more and acceptance of how they run their dev cycles is also why they know they can get away with it with little to no pushback.

Adding pick zones, while what I think is a great feature, was initially released in a highly exploitable fashion and it ended up taking them years? to get it properly locked down.

I know Mischief had issues at launch which were fortunately able to be fixed pretty quickly. It was also stuff that would have been quickly QA'd had they provided a means of doing it. Unfortunately those launch issues molded some people's opinions on Mischief who saw them and they never looked back and still to this day think that's how the entire server played out.

Vaniki seemed to have suffered the same buggy fate, although I think the server's life expectancy/avg pop was never expected to continuiously flourish.

It's my assumption that they will add ingame dev binds to allow removing fte from problematic mobs on the fly like they did for random loot and avoid having to wait for a patch, but I'd expect the system as a whole to be a cluster until late kunark-early velious.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  6. Kazzuk Elder

I doubt they will add another list to manage (which would add load), they already have a list that can perform this simply by modification, pullers refer to this as the hatelist and all raiders are familiar with this. Another reason I believe this is the method DBG plans to utilize is the fact that which they already manipulate the hatelist in late game encounters in similar ways thus already have code for it.

Another supporting point, locking and unlocking the hatelist would also potentially reduce load on servers as it will not hit routines to add folks to the list as you drag mobs that through a group to your group for instance and ultimately results in a smaller in memory list.
    Dalyrina and MasterMagnus like this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I completely agree.

I meant in the theoretical sense 'add a list'. That can very well utilize an existing list in code. For the reasons you mention.
  8. BigShackSal New Member

O

Ok, I like the cut of your jib. What's your theory on this... I typically play a healer. If I heal an out of party player dying in an encounter and draw aggro, Given the way the system works, I'm essentially dependent on them getting aggro back as I'll be unable to affect the mob at all - like with root. Does that seem accurate?
  9. Kazzuk Elder

You wont get aggro if the hate list is locked.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  10. Ruhi Augur

it's the same 12 people saying the same things over and over and over again.
    Laronk likes this.
  11. Koniku Elder

I really wonder why all the people waiting for the server to launch and play on it arent here whining about it every day
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I'm sure that's right, but for one thing.

You won't draw aggro and can heal with impunity. As Kazzuk said.
  13. Doze Augur

But ... they are all here and doing exactly that ... ;)
    Koniku likes this.
  14. Moforyguy12345 Augur

One of the things I am looking forward to testing is when someone pulls too many and has to die so they don't train to their group. Does this FTE change things to where if the puller has to die the mobs are coming for the rest of the group once he's dead? Cuz the old way was based on range of aggro. If the puller pulls and dies aren't his whole group on the hate list? Curious to see how this works.
  15. Vlahkmaak Augur

We are; although to be fair some of us are whining BST/zerker and gnome SKs are still not a starting class/race choice and random/free trade loot is not a thing. FTE is more of a "meh" thing that will not affect the vast majority of the people who already play nice.
  16. HealBigBoy Journeyman

hahaha you guys ready for the Krono farmers and griefers to cry tomorrow when we prove FTE ROCKS!? And they won't be lowering spawn times by a single second so we finally win!
  17. code-zero Augur

My issue is with people who are cutting and pasting entire FAQ's, blathering on and on about "scientific method". Smugly referencing their superior knowledge of aggro management and belittling people who've played a Bard since early 2000 as if a Bard doesn't understand anything about aggro and THEN saying that FTE will "obviously" make training easier after the devs have stated that they intend to eliminate training.

Personally I'm hoping that FD, fade, evac, abscond or whatever will nullify /yell causing your train to notice you and stomp your would be training derriere into a mud puddle. Of course I also want out of party healing and buffing during combat to go away too.
    Zrender and HealBigBoy like this.
  18. HealBigBoy Journeyman

Exactly!! The dev's have specifically stated the purpose of FTE implementation is to mitigate training. Unless they're the worst dev's ever and never tested their implementation then yeah I believe them.
    Zrender and code-zero like this.
  19. HealBigBoy Journeyman

Totally agree this is where the train will be viable again. But, if someone drops a train ON YOU, you back up and watch the mobs path away and you are safe. So yes, I would agree it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces training but does completely eliminate it. But the person that is training you to get your camp is going to fail.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  20. Dalyrina Elder

Since you are an aggro expert, counter his claims instead of all of this jibber jabber. I expect a quality response being that you assumed the only way to drop aggro/train is to suicide.