Crypto mining tax coming to DBG for TrueBox

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by jeskola, May 4, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Having a few extra computers doesn't start to compare to the number of mining rigs that people run when this is talked about and hitting hundreds if not thousands of machines.
    Rijacki likes this.
  2. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I am curious, why does this comparison bother you so much? Ask yourself, if running more computers than is needed is bad for the environment, or even just a waste of energy, shouldn't we do what we can do prevent these things from occurring?

Conservative estimate, lets say there are 5000 people playing EQ on Servers where truebox is active. Lets assume 30% (a low estimate I am sure) of those people want to box at least one extra character. This means that there are at least 1500 extra computers running (about the size of a small mining farm).

Please explain to everyone again how these two things are not comparable?
    jeskola likes this.
  3. brickz Augur

Disingenuous comparison. Staring at the lag pile in the FV guild lobby my GPU is utilizing a mere 23 watts. It's nothing compared to a GPU mining at full blast for 24 hours a day.
    Yinla and Rijacki like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As others have said it is a horrible comparison that is just another attempt to get them to remove true box. The people/groups that are running the crypto farms are doing more computers each then what you are talking about for EQ.
  5. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

By your same logic, my sweetie and I both working from home with computer related professions having at least 2-3 computers each on our desks, plus all the routers I do testing on, plus the computer in my craft room, plus the TV with its computer, plus the servers we have in the garage (in support of our jobs, et. al., which have zero to do with crypto currency) are the equivalent of a crypto mining operation.

But your "conservative estimate" doesn't even come close to the number of machines continuously running in a single commercial crypto mining facility. Obviously, you don't know much about the type of cryptomining the US is proposing to tax. To give you a little education, this is the website of one such operation: https://argoblockchain.com/our-operations. Look at that and and see how paultry the comparison is. Even if every single player of EQ on ever server had at least 3 true boxes, it wouldn't come close and would also be distributed, not concentrated in one location.
    Yinla and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  6. AethDW Elder

The comparison is one of type, not of scale.

If everyone doing such unnecessarily environmentally toxic behaviors had the mindset "well crypto is a lot bigger" then we'd never make much progress in general. How about just acting responsibly and cutting waste where it doesn't serve a purpose, like for matured TLPs.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is the scale that makes it a problem, not people using multiple computers.
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. Arclyte Augur

this is exactly what I want to see, modern day political quackery negatively affecting my 24 year old MMO :rolleyes:

Al Gore told me that in 2013 Everfrost would melt and Tundra Jack would be homeless.
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  9. Agrippa Augur

Genius and shady at the same time, perhaps, but the way trading within the bazaar has always worked is that it completely ties up a character. Not sure how bad people have it on the rot servers, but just about everyone that I know on the free trading servers is paying for, at least, one extra "box" just for the ability to trade. Of course, with the *very* dated bazaar cap in place all of the general channels on these servers have basically become auctioning channels.
  10. Faytal New Member

I love how all the "allaccess" forum trolls advocate for DBG at every moment, seems like some DEV accounts are trying to defend their position.
  11. Ruhi Augur

lol what? - it literally just means they have an active sub and they are showing badges.
    Rijacki likes this.
  12. Koniku Elder

Whos defending DBG?

Truebox is a bad system.
    Comparing a third laptop to a warehouse of maxed out GPUs is a dumb argument.

Both those things are true at the same time, shocking. Go ahead with your conspiracy theory though.
    jeskola and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because trying to compare having to use multiple computers to play Everquest is the same as crypto farming operations that can use as much power as 3,750 to 135,000 households?
    Rijacki likes this.
  14. Wtfagain Elder

You sweet summer child
  15. Wtfagain Elder

You got it! Indeed he is saying extra PCs, regardless of scale, are extra. This is hard for some to understand, but there are actually around 8 billion people on Earth. If everyone were to eliminate things like running 6 PCs to play 1 video game, it would have an impact. Would eliminating truebox alone make a difference? Of course not, but that wasn’t the point, and you knew that.
  16. Vlahkmaak Augur

I installed an extra 15 ton AC to the room with my box pcs in it just to help keep them cool and not heat up the environment, and I keep the window open too just to help cool of the climate. Living in Souther CA I can really tell I am helping cool things off: Boxers do our part!
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Except that it isn't even close to that scale and there are many other reasons that people have multiple PC's running then trying to play multiple characters on a TLP server.
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Lol this thread is pure gold

I think we can all agree that for the most part, truebox on TLP past a certain point makes zero sense.

I think we can also all agree that the need to run extra machines to facilitate a playstyle that can be accomplished on a single machine is silly and counterproductive to the supposed company goal of reducing environmental impact, no matter how small the impact.

Perhaps the title of this thread was a bit sensational, maybe the comparisons to crypto farming were wildly inaccurate, my own included. The fact remains that the truebox policy is in direct opposition to environmental values that the parent company of Darkpaw claims to have.
    jeskola likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Nothing wrong with arguing for the removal of truebox from the servers as they progress, just need to go about it a better way.
    Rijacki likes this.
  20. Arclyte Augur

No, we don't all agree

Feel free to join these others in your wold-saving EverQuest fever dream. I'm sure they have plenty of tin foil to spare for you.