Any Necro changes (TLP/Agnarr) / where to find EQ class changes?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by EastSideWestSide, May 5, 2023.

1. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

Decided to return to EQ/Agnarr for awhile after a year away. I recalled a ways back they redid Shaman/BL and some other DoT classes and Necromancer was potentially due up but kept never happening. Did that ever change in the last 12-18 months? If it did, anything that alters them or SKs on Agnarr in the PoP era?

Related, where is a good place to go to look up class changes in patches for EverQuest? Especially that alters anything on TLPs? If it’s here on the official page I haven’t found it and searching here and on Google ends up with dozens of results to search from dating back to the 90s so, guidance to narrow that down if possible appreciated lol.
  2. Ythera Augur

Sorry, all the necro revamped dots start at level 71+, so it wouldn't affect Agnarr and would only be available on servers at TSS or beyond.
    EastSideWestSide likes this.
  3. UltrawideGameGuy New Member

Does this mean necros cast multiple different "ranks" of certain dots on a target before level 70?
  4. Appren Gnomercy

Yes, only the poison dots shared with shamans are revamped before that if I remember right (Envenomed bolt and such)
    When I played necro (changed main GoD) on mischief, I'd typically have 3 fire dots, 2 poison dots (cant remember when the 2nd one that stacks with ebolt was added), splurt and possibly a disease one loaded (more typically FD and lifetap taking a gem each). Players use saved spell sets to quickly swap in spells as needed (feed, different dots etc)
  5. TLP Addict Augur

PoP is the doldrums for Necromancers unless you enjoy kiting Plane of Fire tables ad infinitum.
  6. Xeris Augur

Blood of thule + eb... Funeral pyre + pyro + ignite, splurt, dark plague + cessation, horror + moreturnum + saryrns kiss.

There's ur Necro dot lineup on Agnarr
    Appren and EastSideWestSide like this.
  7. Kobra Augur

If you want to do as much dps as you can in PoP you need to load your best dots and spam lifetap if you have the mana and a good magic focus. If you have mana problems you have to use the poison nuke.

The only really bad expansion for necro is omens of war. Damn that expansion to hell.
  8. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

The answer I expected (not the answer I’d hoped for but it makes sense, Agnarr’s only ever going to get so much love)
    Thanks for giving the brutal truth to my Bertoxxulous loving heart.

Why I check whenever I come back, I have fun on my necro while he’s low level but compared to my mage or sk that looks like more micromanaging than I’d enjoy if I put the time in to level/gear and raid with him.

I’d be more concerned with desirability in groups and raids but most my searches for agnarr/pop era implied necros were down the wanted list. Especially since I enjoy all the pet classes and Magicians seemed at a much better place that era. If I was soloing with him it would be classic/Kunark/velius content for old times sake.
  9. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

So you’re saying don’t do the multi dots from the same family dance, just use the top dots alone and depend on lifetaps for the faster dd?
    Wouldn’t that just end up with the necro being subpar to a magician or wizard built for that?
  10. Kobra Augur

If you are trying to max dps then yes. I am speaking from raiding in PoP perspective which is I assume what you were inquring about.

Necro is not like other clases. There is not a single thing you can say do this all time in every situation. Its more like a decision tree you apply every second. If you make good decisions consistently you parse well, if you don't you parse like crap.

Its all about maximizing your globals with what provides the most damage based on the time remaining in fight, your mana level, probability of resist since we have to rely on multiple types of resist.

Its not really something that can be distilled into easy formula. If you want to become great necro it just takes lots of time to build that decision tree in your head and then it becomes automatic.
    EastSideWestSide and Appren like this.
  11. Appren Gnomercy

Kobra said it well, your priorities change a lot from target to target, and from minute to minute during an encounter.

Skill ceiling is certainly higher than some other dps classes, and for some expansions it pays off, then you sadly have a long stretch of not being near melee dps until it kicks off again at...80+ or so?
  12. FranktheBank Augur

Sorta. The priority is "get your good pyre on everything" and if its gonna stay alive for ~3min+, then take of your cloak, cast wounds, and put cloak back on.

Casters are strong starting at 75, but some of the raids have resist issues.
  13. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

The context of the question is Agnarr Necro's, 65 PoP/LDoN is the hard limit.
  14. Xeris Augur

I'm fairly certain that uptime on your dots is going to be much better than spamming lifetaps/neurotoxin on raid targets on Agnarr. I've not done this extensively, but I usually beat necros who spam nukes when I spam dots.

And yes, as others have said, Necro is quite a bit more complex than other casters (Wiz/Mage), much higher skill ceiling to be good. That's what makes it fun though. Even within potime there is a lot of juggling to do, certain dots work better on certain bosses, so I swap around spellsets depending on the boss. And on bertox I even swap spell sets mid fight if I'm really going hard.

It's a lot of work to keep 9-10 dots up at all times, so if you want to get the most out of the class and push boundaries, but also are lazy, necro won't really be fulfilling to you. On the other hand, they're amazingly fun solo.
  15. Appren Gnomercy

Necros should be doing great on Agnarr, but yeah, they'll have to stack 6+ Dots for that, most likely. The caster "hard times" kinda start at GoD or OoW. Getting a raid clicky for one or two of the DoTs help with gem slots etc. If I remember right, there is a Splurt click in Vex Thal, and PoP elemental silk pants should have a fire dot clicky. Long term goals for sure, for a returning player, but playing on Agnarr those are important, I'd say :)

Uptime on dots is (obviously) key for DPS on those long PoP fights, how much spamming of nuke and lifetap (if any) is needed is something one just have to get the feel of, judging their mana use etc.
  16. Kazzuk Elder

Always found it humorous when necros start about bard dots taking "their" sots hehe, mostly because most of our bards were douches that liked to provoke the necros and they ALWAYS took the bait...
  17. Schwifty Journeyman

Necros will parse below every other dps class in most PoP raids while doing twice the work no matter what strategy you try. I invite anyone to post an accurate PoT parse that shows otherwise.

The class needs an update in the Luclin-GoD era bad. There are some glaring examples. Envenomed bolt + the 65 necro poison dot does less damage together than the shaman 65 poison dot alone.
  18. Sirex New Member

Yep. Necros were fantastic in Velious and Luclin, and still we're doing very well when POP first dropped on Agnarr. But now that everyone is geared and potime bosses are dying in 2-3 mins tops, no matter what you do you're not topping parses. Bosses are dying way too quickly. You're lucky to get off 2 full rotations of your dots before the boss dies. If you get stuff resisted in the meantime, it's extra crippling.

It doesn't help that the Necro pet is disgustingly bad. Also necros don't get swarm pets in this era for some reason...

It would be fantastic if necros could get another few ranks of wake dead and dot crits. As "the dot class" that'd make sense thematically and help them feel more impactful in this era.