The F2P experience is horrible.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Your point seems to be that there is a lack of player base in the lower levels for new players to group with to level up but there is nothing to suggest that there would be a higher number of players in that level if the F2P restrictions are loosened even more then they already are.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Rijacki like this.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

Old gear should lose the prestige label and be usable. Every new expansion should make some older gear non-prestige. That would solve this problem and allow some returning players to jump in and try without fully gearing back up.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  3. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

You want more players? Improved FTP is not the answer. Paying customers keep the lights on. To get more players the graphics engine needs a massive upgrade and Daybreak needs to go on an epic advertising campaign. Right now, EQ is an old niche game with outdated graphics.

You want the younger rabid gamers to sign up for EQ? The graphics need an upgrade because the younger gamers love the pretty graphics in the new games.

Imagine, well done EQ advertisements on TV with a new graphics engine? New players certainly would try the game, some would even stay.
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Rijacki and Skuz like this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I would prefer they offered accounts that haven't played in X amount of time a months free all access during one of the longer bonus exp times. They would get more players coming back that way, staying and subscribing.

Also that way returning players should be concentrated in same time frame, so there should be more lower level players to group with.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

:rolleyes:

"The game is dying." People have been saying that since Kunark.
    Rijacki and CatsPaws like this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This idea has merit. I would make this a little more granular and say when an expansion goes F2P, the gear from that expansion and all previous expansions lose the prestige tag.

And can we, for the love of Tunare, lose the Prestige tag on all augmentations?
    Rijacki and Bernel like this.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Everything is dying. The relentless march to entropy can only be delayed not put off forever.
    Rijacki, Metanis and MasterMagnus like this.
  8. DeadRagarr Augur

NO! If we make that +5 str augment NOT prestige how in the WORLD would poor daybreak make money!
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The problem is Darkpaw's vision for F2P conversion hinges on people wanting to subscribe. The very fact that we're asking for movement on Prestige is evidence of the demand. I am not asking for changes to Prestige for myself or other current players. I am asking for the returning player who has no clue that the raid gear they earned 10 years ago is useless to them unless they pony up. Give these folks an option.

"Why is all my gear yellow?" the returning player asks.
    "Because that's the color of GOLD," they all replied.

:(
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Why should devs waste time chainging this EVERY time there is a new expansion? Expansions are small enough as they are without having them going round the majority of the gear from previous expansion.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Why should we chase former EQ players? Is that an actual question?
  12. Shakara Augur

Expansions are small cause the dev team is small. Bigger dev team means bigger xpacs. To get a bigger dev team you need more money. To get more money you need more players. Hence if you want bigger xpacs you should going to need more players first.
  13. Shakara Augur

There is so much wrong here.
    1) Tons of games use the FTP experience to convince on the fence people the game is worth paying for. This is a proven concept that almost every successful game uses. Riot Games has perfected this so much that almost none of the gameplay in their games is behind a paywall and they make almost all their revenue from micro transactions.
    2) MMO players really don't care about graphics. Minecraft, Old School Runescape, Albion Online, Eve Online, Age of Empires and many others are not blowing anyone out of the water with pretty graphics. Players care about game play and will put up with terrible graphics as long as the gameplay has depth, customization and stratagy.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Yeah... and try to change EverQuest to that model and you MIGHT get some new players, but you'd lose a very large amount of your current players. Those games were designed that way from the ground up, designed to suck as much money as possible from people via microtransactions. EverQuest was not.
    Rijacki and Yinla like this.
  15. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

There's nothing wrong here. All I hear in this thread is gibs me dat. F2P doesn't pay the bills.

WOW is the most popular game of this type.
  16. Ksenija Elder

Tell me you use Macro quest, without telling me you use Macro quest
  17. Ksenija Elder

This is not true. I get "come back to FF14 emails about twice a year with free 96 hours of playtime.
    I never stick with it because while the combat is fun, the art style is not for me.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That early they were wrong but from DoN until the annual TLP schedule they were right, because it was, slowly but surely, EQ numbers peaked around OoW & then went on a years long downward slide. TLP had reversed that trend at one point but there are signs the recovery has plateaued post-pandemic.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You don't need that to box, several other programs can make boxing easier & plenty box just using additional USB number pads positioned by their main keyboard.
    I've 6 boxed on live just using one PC and no extra software just tab-switching, though mostly it was 5 box & merc healer.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Returning players need to have a way to use their Prestige gear. This could be a trial method. Or an unlocker method. SOMEthing so they don't feel like they're being gouged just for downloading the game and logging in to their old toon.