New Player Channel

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cloud the Third, May 2, 2023.

1. Cloud the Third Augur

This new player channel is really a bad design. You should get rid of it and just have everyone in general. The problem is a new person trying out the game is talking in it but noone else is. Most of the people in it are just free box accounts so if a new player wants help in playing the game they can't get it in this channel. They then will never pay to play and see that there is a general channel where they can talk to others.
    Iven likes this.
  2. Crashdummy Elder

Pure Free to Play do not get the General Channel or numerous other perks, however many of the bazaar mules are below level 20 and if not in offline mode or afk and ignoring things, can and some do respond. Also some of the newbie friendly guilds on server likely have a player or two adding the newbie channel just to be able to assist. Helping new folk is important, but also encouraging them to support the game once they are playing for a few months. Not every regular server has a good newbie friendly guild, and not 24/7.
    Rijacki likes this.
  3. Flatchy Court Jester

After putting up with that jabbering idiot in general channel here lately I can see why they dont let ftp on it. You can just keep making countless toons and switching when everyone has you on ignore. Pity that someone is that pathetic that annoying others is their great joy in life.
  4. Cloud the Third Augur

That is part of the problem though because F2P accounts can access general if they have ever paid 1 month. Silver is still a F2P account and they can get in general, but new players are the ones that really need to be in general because they have never played before. I don't know other servers because the population on luclin is pretty bad and I have some F2P accounts that are used for boxes and I see people asking for help once in a while in the new player channel and I don't see them getting any help so why would they pay to play if noone is there to help them get started.
  5. Windance Augur

The only help in the F2P channels are the guy(s) spamming PL "services" and offers to buy krono.

Not exactly the most useful channels for new / returning players to get up to speed.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Being in General will not hide the spammer for PL services. He is there also. In fact he has 3 channels that he spams with one hot key.

Being in General will not guarantee you will get answers and more than being in Newplayer. In fact questions can go unanswered in there too

Full access members can also be in Newplayers chat and many of us are on Tunare. We like to help and there are usually 2 or 3 players willing to answer questions in Newplayers. If your not getting any help then perhaps you could try /ooc, /shout, /auction, /raid, /fellowship. Or if you are a veteran player who is saying there is no one in that chat you should join and help.

Or join a guild and ask them

Or try google

" F2P accounts can access general if they have ever paid 1 month" this is no longer true. Not all accounts will revert to Silver after paying.

Based on recent posts in these forums, many players want the following changed for New Players and Returning players:

Access to General Chat
    Access to Prestige
    Access to unlimited AA or raise the cap

Sounds to me like they want All Access for free.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Bernel Augur

I think it would be good if free accounts were read-only in General chat. I agree with the OP that NewPlayers is useless for new players since the channel is hardly used. But I also agree with the current limitation of f2p players not being allowed to chat in General because spammers would clog the channel. If free players could see the General chat, it would help them learn something about the game and may entice them to sub. But allowing f2p players to see the chat would have to be done in a way that it didn't use up a chat slot. The chat channels can only have 400(?) people in it. If the f2p accounts counted towards that limit, they'd take up slots that should go to paying people. So the f2p people would have to be in some kind of view-only mode that was outside the normal chat framework.
    Shanarias likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Its a good design. It keeps FTP peeps from harassing, swearing and being general bags in General chat with FTP throwaway accounts. This all helps FTP peeps from pissing of the paying customers with harassment. Working as intended is how I see it.

And FYI some of us always have that general up to help out folks and in my case when I advertise a MGB session I always post in it so the FTP folks know buffs are incoming. I answer questions on FTP though I don't see a lot of questions.

AND number of those folks in the FTP channel have paying accounts. Whether they talk on them or not is another matter.
    Nennius likes this.
  9. Sagarmatha Augur

I
    If you could just /ignore an entire account, it would be great! I also play on BB, and I know who you mean.
    Rabidchipmunk and Nennius like this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I turned general chat channels off a day or so after they went live. I've found most who want help use OOC or send tells direct to somone of their class.
  11. FYAD Augur

MMOs that allow FTP accounts to access General chat always get spammed with RMT gold selling services. Like non-stop spammed.
    Svann2 and Nennius like this.
  12. Cloud the Third Augur

Like EQ used to have when there was no FTP account? I know I remember seeing them all the time in the seller zone before general even existed try to sell plat.

FTP will have no real effect on people doing that it is all about population of the game and if they can make money doing it. Not enough people playing EQ anymore to have the huge market like other games and krono is the legal way to do it so you still see people selling / buying krono in game and other things I won't say on here for risk of a ban.
  13. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I wish it was possible to selectively join general channels and not the all or none via the Options and that the option isn't any account and character that uses the same computer but could be per character. I know I could likely /join [channel] but I don't know if that works for zone channels. I usually have all general off but I'm planning to play on a TLP and know groups might form in the chat channels so I have enabled them and tried to segregate them which works unless you zone. A new channel doesn't stay in the tab you assign to the chat channels if you want to have a 'custom' chat channel in a different channel. Bleah.

I don't want to have PL or Krono flogging clogging any chat window but not really any way to muzzle those without also losing any other use of the channels.
  14. Iven Antonius Bayle

I made the same suggestion nearly exactly a year ago. Some FTP restrictions are not well thought out and just do follow a pattern to restrict things in every possible category. Locking out new players, and generally FTP accounts from general chat, is causing more damage to the game than being helpfull.

I never saw such behaviour in the NewPlayers chat channel on AB in the last six years. Why should someone do that just to harass the players using AllAccess AND Silver accounts ? Do AllAccess players harass the players in the NewPlayers channel even that there are so many players in the forums that do hate FTP players ? No, they do not. You are just setting up an unsustainable theory by drawing the devil onto the wall. If such behaviour would happen it could be reported and we all have the option to "mute" such fictional players by adding them onto the ignore list.

Krono sellers with AllAccess accounts (paying customers !) are harassing the players in the general chat channels since many years and they never do get banned for doing so. Free players are not a problem and throwaway accounts to harass other players are just a myth. Players that do use FTP accounts are just the scapegoats for unreflected and therefor silly players that are full of fear and hate. The FTP player bashing has to stop.

Most FTP players are also paying customers and some of them do add content to the game and to the community that is more worth than some of you do ever pay for EQ for receiving a service and privileges. Paying is not a donation ! It is silly to think that AllAccess players or generally paying customers are better than FTP and not paying players. Most players do use both, AllAccess and FTP/Silver accounts anyway. For those of you that do pay: YOU do receive a service and privileges for that, so you receive something back for your money. It is a simple deal: Money for service and privileges. Nobody is forcing you to pay. Those who do not pay do not receive something back. It is just that simple. So there is absolutely no reason to bash and harass players that are using FTP accounts.
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

not gonna happen
  16. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Next xpac should offer a better chat UI built into the client
    Default channels for Auction, NewPlayer, Politics, LFG, etc ... something more than the current chatbox we have. Would be nice that the UI would allow us more tools like an IRC UI for instance.
  17. Rabidchipmunk New Member

I have tried to post about him specifically on here so many times but it says the screenshots are too large. it is complete and utter garbage
  18. Cloud the Third Augur

I do understand people don't want free accounts spamming so how about this. Make use the player channel and reward paid players for joining the channel and using it to help others. This may be hard but you could maybe look at how many post a player makes in the new player channel and if they hit a certain amount of post each most (have to find a way to filter out spam from real post so maybe keep track of the number of post they make with real words and aren't duplicates from a hotkey and if they hit a certain amount you reward them with 25 extra DB coin).
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

I understand the logic of wanting to help new players, but dont people already get help in new player channel? Might take a minute or two for someone to notice your question and respond (or research and respond) but thats the same as in /general.
  20. Iven Antonius Bayle

Many newbies and mules are in the NewPlayers channels and it seems like most of them don't know how to chat so it can be very quiet there. Experienced players with subscriptions and silver accounts usually are not joining those channels.

It is amazing to watch how Daybreak is passively treating and welcoming new players, aka The New Player Experience. They lock them out of the community by day one by putting them into the NewPlayers quarantine channel where they are being isolated without much chance to receive any help. The game does appear dead to them and they have no clue about the existence of other channels. The clever ones do end up in the newbie forums sometimes where they do receive all the help and even more which they could had received much easier in the General chat channel instead. Many of the remaining newbies might get motivated to try out other games instead, because why should someone spend monthly cash for a game that does appear dead ?