Failure Rate on Gate

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Dilquan, May 1, 2023.

1. Dilquan Augur

Twice in a row, a bit much, I'd say. /rantoff
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

I would pay any amount of AA for a non-collapsing rank of the Gate AA.
    PCSS, Ishbu and Annastasya like this.
  3. Annastasya Augur

It happens a lot. You become a god-murdering, dragon-slaying, time-traveling, world-ending adventurer with powers unfathomable, but mastering that level 10 gate spell even to a 50% success rate confounds you.

Forget AA, i'd pay real money or krono or delevel or whatever ridiculous thing they want to ask to get a non-collapsing gate.
  4. Iven Antonius Bayle

It is there to remind you to the good old times.
    PCSS and Flatchy like this.
  5. smocurb New Member

Move to Zek, gate failure is reduced!
  6. Flatchy Court Jester

No, it causes you to go insane and spam cross server chat to BB General.
  7. Gialana Augur

They say they can't make the current AA gate no-fail. It would be nice if the cool-down were reduced to 5 or 10 seconds, at least.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  8. strongbus Augur

If I remember right its cause the aa is just a out right copy of the spell. and it has a built in 5% chance to fail. meaning they have to do a full rewrite of the whole spell or make a new one for the aa.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

AA seems to fail way more than 5%, though.

This thread made me think about it. I haven't seen a gate fail in ages. Then I remembered, I never use gate, but I do use the Teleport Bind ability every day, several times a day, to port my group to my bind point. It's a group "Gate" spell. And guess what? That ability has yet to fail for me. Probably at least 1000 uses of the ability.

Welcome to EQ ;)
    Fallfyres and PCSS like this.
  10. Ravanta Suffer Augur

They can make a new AA, and delete the "bind affinity" AA from casters while they are at it.
    Give it to melee, just make it only work in cities.

Why does a tank have to ask for a bind in a city? Sure, they can use a soulbinder, but who in the world wants to keep running the same 100 feet to the guild lobby zone in every time they gate or die?
  11. Iven Antonius Bayle

The solution would be a soulbinder in the guild lobby. While corpse retrieval has changed over the years that had been forgotten to add. Maybe just to simulate more activity in PoK with corpse runners.
  12. Monkeychunks Augur

High Priest of Luclin [ Soulbinder ] Lobby
    High Priestess of Luclin [ Soulbinder ] Lobby
    PCSS likes this.
  13. Iven Antonius Bayle

Oh, totally did forgot about those even that I bound a PC there some months ago, but I didn't knew about those soulbinders for years. The one in PoK just worked well enough to me.
  14. Crashdummy Elder

Get the Drunkard's Stein at first opportunity, that and Throne of Heroes AA, makes life much easier for all players. By the way, getting the task and doing the mimic bit in Abysmal Sea is all that is required, barring any changes.
    Quatr likes this.
  15. Flatchy Court Jester

Get that Brick of Knowledge to while you still can, I dunno how many times im doin TS in my bixie hive and gotta run to stratos or pok and for a non gating class it is great.
  16. Ishbu Augur

This seems like its probably true.

That said, is there any reason they couldnt just create an Advanced Gate AA where they dont copy the original spell from 24 years ago and actually make it just work without fail?
    PCSS likes this.
  17. Brickhaus Augur

Gate (and succor/evac) failure rate is 2% ... I'm not sure where folks are getting 5%.

It's basically rolling double 1s (or double 6s) on 2 dice. I know I've done 3 in a row (double 6s) several times just playing backgammon over the years. I've seen 5 in a row as well (ouch). It's a small number, but that doesn't mean back-to-back(-to-back) are super rare or the sign that something is broken.

The developers have always used the "percent baked in the code" excuse (I'm not saying it's not buried in the code) but as someone pointed out, teleport to bind for group works as an aa so they could easily implement a new gate spell/aa that always worked. They just choose not to.

The real problem with the gate aa failure is the way too long refresh rate. Change that to 5 seconds and no one would really talk about it.
    PCSS, Joules_Bianchi and Iven like this.
  18. Leorium The Fluffy Wolf

Just chiming in here,
    Getting the same # on 2 dies is no where near the probability as failing 2% twice in a row.
    2 of same #s on 2 dice = 1/6
    getting specifically snake eyes (1+1) on 2 dice = 1/36
    Failing 2% twice = 1/2500

Going as far as getting the same # on 5 dies in one throw (Yahtzee) is 1/1296. Failing gate twice in a row is twice as bad as getting yahtzee on 1 roll.

Now, to the point. This can still happen, it's just very rare.
  19. Iven Antonius Bayle

In percent:
    2,77*% for a pair of identical dice numbers. (100/6/6)
    For the second roll of two dices it is again 2,77*% which in total is ~0,077%. (100/36/36)
    Failing 2% twice = 1/2500 = 0,04%. (100/50/50)

While it seems like a very tiny chance to get 0,04% or 0,077% it basically is just getting 2% (Dice with 50 numbers) or 2,77% (Dice with 36 numbers) twice.
    PCSS likes this.
  20. Relyn Lorekeeper

I had 4 failed gates in a row in lower guk on one of the TLPs (coirnav I think) a while back. I rarely saw collapsed gates before that. After the 2nd one, I was like wtf, then again, then a 4th one, and didn't get a chance to try for 5 because I was dead then, lol.

I think I was less pissed dying that way than if I died after 1 collapsed gate because 4 in a row is so extreme, just have to laugh. It ended up being a fond, incredible moment, lol.