Monk/Shaman/? Trio

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Maeve, May 2, 2023.

1. Xhartor Augur

Non-boxed bard can bandolier to an instruments just before they finish casting, then swap back to duel wield. That get them the instrument modifier on their songs with very little DPS lost.

As for haste, In classic bard haste str which with attack power given how gimpy all the gear is. Once you get McVaxius' Rousing Rondo the haste song also has attack directly in addition to increase your strength.

Puretone is great during burn phases.
    code-zero likes this.
  2. code-zero Augur

I see that you're one of those people who are tone deaf and fail to appreciate the magnificence that is the Bard class. Probably one of those silly Shaman supremacist who constantly overwrite buff and yell at people who block theirs.

I'll remember you in my prayers :D
  3. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

Mage complements that well.

Mage is cloth to go with Monk leather and Shaman chain for no competition on armor.
    Mage is caster to go with Monk melee and Shaman priest for no competition on armor.
    Mage dps is decent enough
    Pet gets shaman buffs so scales up dps.
    Pet can offtank things when needed, especially once shaman slows
    Mage can help monk splits via coh
    Monk can train away mobs from a path, mage and shaman run to camp, coh monk and minimize clearing time
  4. Maeve New Member

Some really good suggestions. I don't think either of them would want to reroll and I will probably have an alt on the side to play when they don't feel like playing.

I will take these suggestions and ponder on them some more since we still have about 3 weeks before launch.

Thank you all very much for your thoughts!
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Vedian Lorekeeper

Monk/Shaman
    SK seems like it would be a solid addition. You probably won't be doing as much raid tanking as a knight outside of some specific fights.
    Wizard would add ports, snare, and dps.
    Ranger would add offtanking, snare, and dps.

Monk/Druid
    Paladin as a tank might be better here, although they can be a bit underwhelming. Again, less raid tanking as a knight.
    Enchanter seems like it synergizes well for CC, dps, slows, and buffs.
    If you reroll beastlord you could have offtanking, slow, and dps. But you're all leather.

Bard can add a lot of different things so how well it synergizes with either duo would depend on the situation. It's a lot of fun to main and would be great in a group or raid.
  6. Maeve New Member

I keep thinking about playing a Rogue, not sure why. I know they struggle a bit for a few expansions but it is a class I havent tried, that and Ranger. I am not sure if either of those will be that great or be boring or even mesh with the Monk and Shaman. But I feel like I want to break out and do something new.

I am not set on anything yet. It would be easier to get groups if we just start them ourselves since I hear that is the hard part for Rogues.

I think after a lot of thought I whittled it down to Mage, Necro, Rogue, Ranger, and SK. Now I know the Shaman and Rogue/Ranger will be the same armor type but I am not really worried about that.

I am not sure exactly how Mage and Necros were hit on raids with MoTM and pets etc...I also haven't played a tank enough to understand keeping aggro and such so it worries me that I might be subpar but I guess I wont know until I try.

Thoughts on Rogue or Ranger with the Monk and Shaman or would it be an odd trio?
  7. Vedian Lorekeeper

A rogue should add a lot of dps later but not much else unfortunately. Other than super invis for corpse runs, a bard overlaps on all of the rogue's utility like picking locks with less dps.

Ranger is a pretty fun class to play. Ranger/shaman and monk/shaman are both good duos, so you end up with a good trio with more dps. Ranger also brings snare which is very important, tracking, and offtanking. Shaman buffs work well with melee so both monk and ranger benefit. With shaman slows you should be able to handle a lot of group content with this trio. There may be times where you can't find a real tank and wish you went SK. Ranger adds similar dps and way more utility than a rogue. I don't think gear competition is an issue - on raids it won't make a difference, and in groups you get the benefit of two items from one camp.

Mage and necro are both a bit underwhelming in raids imo. Mage has their dps limited by MOTM since your pet agro transfers and limits how much you can burn. Necro can FD to manage agro but its a ton of work to parse on raids, but can be decent in some expansions. Necro also hasn't had the dot revamp go all the way back to classic so they can seem underpowered compared to some others in groups. For example, the shaman with 3 dots will probably out dps the necro with 10.

Holding agro on a SK is much simpler than a warrior. You mostly just need to spam agro spells.
  8. Balrigard Journeyman

I see Necros do alright on raids, Mages not so much.

With how you are talking, I would suggest Ranger since they can just flamelick mobs for aggro.