Oakwynd Information and FAQ

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Nebby Lorekeeper

So will the mob be able to dmg anyone its not locked to?
  2. Nebby Lorekeeper

If So I see a big boost in the power of FD training now.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Yes, but they won't want to, directly. They may deal damage to others indirectly. Like an AOE directed at a locked target.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That hasn't been directly answered but chances are things that do AE damage will impact players who are not part of the encounter.
  5. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

I just had a thought. What if the /yell command's biggest purpose it to catch trainers more easily.

For example, I'm a monk who tags an L.Guk Named mob. I run it to a group, FD, /yell, and train them. The group reports me. With the /yell command in place, the GM's can clearly see that I /yell'd to train the group. It's a lot less he said she said.
  6. Nebby Lorekeeper

I understand AE, I just don't see it working like they think it is.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

We had the honey-pot discussion earlier. But nah.

Can you imagine them making judgement calls about if /yell use was legitimate or not?
  8. Aaoogaa New Member

I don't understand why you wouldn't build off the success you've had with Mischief and Thornblade. Keep randomized loot as a TLP standard. Keep the instancing in place. Add in the unlock changes for characters. Keep the combined OOW and DoN. Ensure that you keep the boxing restrictions in place or even add in true box to start. Why not lower the threshold needed to unlock a new zone and increase the zone change timer. More zones, less flipping around. That would have more of an impact at reduced griefing than an encouter system. Why take 2 steps back and the one in a direction that noboby wants.
    Litoeon likes this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Mischief is still a successful server and a new clone will just draw players away from the existing one.
  10. versair Journeyman

Willing to bet a new mischief clone would have more players then the current and produce more revenue. And also prolong that revenue stream.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If it is just moving players from one server to another those players are not adding new revenue to the system.
    Zrender likes this.
  12. versair Journeyman

Nah a lot of players would rejoin. the community on mischief is a fraction of what it was up through pop
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is still going strong and they don't need to attract every player every year there is nothing wrong with staying on existing TLP servers instead of moving to the new one.
  14. Dalyrina Elder

This occurs with every single tlp regardless of the subsequent ruleset. Mischief isnt special and you cant selectively apply that logic to reach your reasoning.
  15. code-zero Augur

They haven't said this but given that they've long since made changes to Bard AE songs so that a moving bard can't damage a mob it's very likely that the partial unlock with /yell would not be affected by an AE.

I'd love to see all the mocking /tells that FD monk gets as he's lying there after yelling and nothing happened. I know I'd laugh
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Mischief/Thornblade are still currently the only servers with that ruleset and Mischief is still going strong which means there is no reason to create a clone of it which will just draw players away from the existing healthy server.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It could be there is something going on behind the scenes that isn't to their liking and they don't want to repeat it. I'm sure they have their reasons and I'm sure it is more than just not wanting people to jump servers.

Live is seeing a lot of changes at the moment to reduce lag, changes to spells, AAs, Procs, even a change to Banestrike so it isn't doing so many checks.

It maybe that having random loot is causing an issue with having such large buckets, or the Bazaar having too many items for searches. Who knows what hidden issues a random free trade server may have on a very popular server. Players may not be noticing any issues but the server is not that far through expansions yet, they can see far more behind the scene stuff than we can.

I would imagine a good chunk of the server kick/queue is being taken up by baz mules. Who knows they maybe working on taking those chars out of the server count to more can stay on line longer rather than get AFK kicked. Though I'm not sure how off line chars impact a server, they show up in the guild manager, so female logic tells me they are counted to some degree as being on line.
  18. Larsen Augur

Not everyone likes the Mischief ruleset, and unlike most TLPs, it's a highly gamechanging ruleset. This means that anyone who doesn't enjoy it can't really play on the server. While Mischief was very popular, it definitely is not universally loved. Random loot and free trade, especially in combination, change the game a degree that's unpalatable to some. TLPs as a whole have been a success precisely because the game's original design has such great appeal and staying power.

But since the server was popular, anyone who voiced disagreement with the ruleset was absolutely hounded out of the community under scathing barrages of attacks and insults by people who are so hysterically fanatical about Mischief that they simply can't tolerate anyone with a differing opinion, so the only voice that's heard now is the cries of those who demand a copy of that server every time a new TLP is about to be announced. Anyone else is shouted down.

With any TLP besides Mischief and Vaniki, the game was perfectly playable and largely fine even if you didn't like that server's ruleset. The other TLPs changed minor things but the game still resembled Everquest as it was (as much as TLPs ever do). There's a lot of weird entitlement going on from people who take it for granted that everyone wants that ruleset to become the norm for TLPs. That's not a reasonable expectation. It's actually very selfish and entitled, as is anyone who literally cannot understand why it isn't done. It's like demanding that all pizzas must have pineapple on them from now on. Now anyone who doesn't like that has to stop eating pizza. It's one thing to say that you liked it and would want to play it again, but to not understand why the developers don't make that highly experimental ruleset the norm for all future servers is something else entirely. That's someone with no regard whatsoever for anyone else's preferences. It's incredibly narrow-minded.

Making the Mischief ruleset standard for future servers basically means expecting the developers to abandon the TLP concept - i.e. replaying traditional Everquest, with or without minor additions in the form of rulesets - and replacing it with a new thing that's radically different, and thus effectively putting an end to Everquest altogether for the entire portion of the TLP community that does not enjoy the radically different way that the game is played with random loot.

They can release a Mischief 2.0 at some point, and I figure they might eventually do that alongside a more traditional TLP when they go back to launching two at a time; but they can't make random loot universal on all servers or anyone who doesn't like that will abruptly quit Everquest and never return. This isn't some small change that people who dislike it can get used to and live with. This is a completely new and different way of playing the game. Stop asking for something so unreasonable.
    Yinla, Zrender and Sinic like this.
  19. Grummle Journeyman

Any new updates? we've got like 20 days to go and its feeling a lot like "this will satisfy them 'til launch"
    Sinic likes this.
  20. versair Journeyman

they will not update the FAQ until after the test server data has been collected. so in other words, do not expect an update until 1 week before launch at earliest
    Rijacki likes this.