DPG please share your plans for Oakwynd <3

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jmitch, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Wtfagain Elder

The once a year TLP isn’t the place to beta test a massive change to CORE GAME MECHANICS. End of story.
    Familycat23, Yinla and wade_watts like this.
  2. Ruhi Augur

already happens, but you keep ignoring vaniki, mischief, phinny to name a few
    Zrender, Rijacki and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  3. Zansobar Augur

None of those are changes to core game play that they plan to implement across the entire game.
  4. wade_watts Augur

I think you may be unfamiliar with the history. What servers rolled out as two of the same ruleset to deal with load? They rolled different rulesets at the time - like Selo & Mangler. Agnarr, Coirnav, Phinny, Yelinak, Mangler, and Aradune were all solo. Selo, Vaniki, and Rizlona launched the same time but they were different rulesets - not duplicated to deal with load.

I'm not aware of a single server that released two of the same rulesets to deal with heavy volume? Even with multiple servers for Mischief ruleset plus the year-over-year efficiencies to the launch process, there was still major queues for multiple days on Mischief.

Why are we pretending that it was not wildly successful when it clearly was? Strange to pretend like it wasn't or still isn't crazy popular. Like someone else told you, when the actual login numbers leaked - not sure what stake you have in denying it's success but it's quite evidently a success.
    Appren likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Random loot is a change to core gameplay that impacts the entire game.
    Zrender and Rijacki like this.
  6. Trox2010 Augur

Combine....Sleeper had to be rolled out to deal with the load.
    Fippy.....Vulak had to be rolled out to deal with the load.
    Ragefire....they had to roll out Lockjaw to deal with the load.
    Aradune....people were told if they don't want to deal with the heavy load to move to Rizlona
    Mangler's big saving grace is a lot of hardcore people and ones wanting something new went to Selos. If it had been launched solo I guarantee it would have needed a second server.

Not saying Mischief wasn't a success; just saying Mischief may not have been as much as a run away success as it's proponents say it is. The leaked data doesn't really say much since they aren't comparing launch numbers for each progression server, but only a snap shot on a particular day.

Also with that in mind I would love to see them add Random loot to Oakwynd to give it a little something extra.
    Zrender likes this.
  7. wade_watts Augur

Fippy released in feb of 2011, a second server was added later in the month because they didn't understand/anticipate the popularity were popular. Not sure why we are appealing to the start of TLP's 12+ years ago when they were trying to figure out sizing and load - then applying the logic to 2021.

They tried to size ragefire to be large enough based on prior TLP's and that failed so they rolled Lockjaw within a week or two.
  8. Ruhi Augur

phinny tlp core gameplay changes are on live servers now
    Zrender likes this.
  9. Jardad Journeyman

1. eqresource.com (see server load history) =)
    2. server set up and rules is easy (some of us have run our own servers )
    3. other than a "fresh start", what makes Oakwynd worth Sub again ?
    what ruleset is making it better than any other server ?
    4. do you guys server hop to check Krono prices ?
    5. need a server that make me WANT to Sub and go thru it all again lol =)
    how about you guys?
  10. Zansobar Augur

Lol! I am talking about the plan for FTE to go to Live (and then most likely all future TLP servers). Random Loot has not been on more than the 2 servers that launched with it.
  11. Captain Video Augur

There is no plan to push FTE to Live servers. Period. Full stup. People who keep saying that are making stuff up as they go along. As for future TLP servers, even the team has said this is an experiment.
    Zrender and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  12. Obliteration Elder

They said IF it is a success on next tlp it MIGHT be added to live servers.

So you have nothing to worry about at this time
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They did not say that, an interview said one of the new rules would be considered for live servers and there is another change in the legacy character system. According to the FAQ that they released FTE was designed to help with issues experienced in the early eras on a TLP server and it would make no sense at all to move it to live servers when it is designed for a TLP only problem.

The Legacy character feature however is something that could make a nice addition to live servers as it is more likely for players to have multiple high level characters on the same account on live then they would on a TLP server.
    Rijacki likes this.
  14. Runes Augur

I don't mind Devs trying out new ideas and concepts, its at least a good sign that they are. What I don't like are the unproven concepts happening on servers that we pay money to play on.

You have a test server, that's where each new idea belongs on and tested for months before you introduce it on paying servers. Stop making TLPs the defacto test servers for unproven concepts, put it on Test where it belongs then roll it out, or at minimum roll it out on free servers because you get what you pay for and shouldn't cry when you playing for free.
    Familycat23 likes this.
  15. Captain Video Augur

The Test server exists to test monthly patches and hotfixes, and also to give veteran players a sandbox to troubleshoot issues with current Live content which didn't get sorted out in Beta. (And there's always something.) Test has a couple of raid guilds on it. It cannot be commandeered for a long-term testbed for FTE changes. As it is, the FTE changes will be on the Test server for 2-3 weeks before the new server launches. That should be plenty of time to get a sense of in-game results. Nobody is forcing you to play on the new server if you don't think it's worth it to you.
    magikarp and Rijacki like this.
  16. magikarp Elder

we are 1 day away from the 3 week mark, so I hope you're correct. tired of fighting and being called names on the forums. more than ready to just go in there and test it and contribute to fixing it

+1
    you can also just play it with your kronos and not buy any bags or exp pots, if you want to get cheeky
  17. TLP Addict Augur

They did share their plans, now they have to slog through 100's of pages of whining feedback and decide if they are willing to change anything or not, still more than 3 weeks to go. People need to calm their farms
    Zrender and Rijacki like this.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Because live servers begged years to get AoC.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Big difference is those changes no one said was a test for live servers. Oakwynd they said before the server was announced it was going to be an experimental server with things possibly going to live.

That said I'd like to see the removal of Required on items shared with other servers not just for Vaniki. The rest of the rule set is mainly about challenges. I'd also like to see Mischief make it to live and instead of merging into a live server keep the random loot and Free Trade and become a live server in its own right.

Good to see another guild land on Vaniki last month to work on completing challenge achievements, they have also seen another group or raiders working on challenge achievements to take the rewards to Oakwynd. :)
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It would have been interesting to see if they had as many complaints about Oakwynd if they hadn't announced it was an experimental server.
    code-zero likes this.