Didn't think the heritage crate change through did you?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by globeadue, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I asked you to provide an actual source not make claims of things that you think are the same as buying a loot crate in game. But trying to claim that the same item in a different color/flavor is the same as a chance of getting different items is just silly.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I'm explaining how you're wrong. You don't get to tell me how I prove you wrong.

You're wrong in so many ways it just becomes easy with self evident facts. No source that could be disputed is needed.

So wrong are you, it's obvious to everyone from commonly known indisputable facts.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Sure sure.. since you just want to go there and haven't checked them yourself:

Stanford:
    Risk: The possibility that the occurrence of an event will adversely affect the achievement of the organization's objectives.

M-W:
    risk

1 of 2
    noun
    ˈrisk

1: possibility of loss or injury : peril

2: someone or something that creates or suggests a hazard

a: the chance of loss or the perils to the subject matter of an insurance contract
    also : the degree of probability of such loss
    b: a person or thing that is a specified hazard to an insurer
    c: an insurance hazard from a specified cause or source
    war risk
    4: the chance that an investment (such as a stock or commodity) will lose value

risk
    2 of 2
    verb
    risked; risking; risks
    transitive verb
    1: to expose to hazard or danger
    risked her life

2: to incur the risk or danger of
    Dictionary.com:
    risk
    [ risk ]
    noun
    exposure to the chance of injury or loss; a hazard or dangerous chance: It's not worth the risk.
    Insurance.
    1. the hazard or chance of loss.
    2. the degree of probability of such loss.
    3. the amount that the insurance company may lose.
    4. a person or thing with reference to the hazard involved in insuring him, her, or it.
    5. the type of loss, as life, fire, marine disaster, or earthquake, against which an insurance policy is drawn.
    verb (used with object)
    to expose to the chance of injury or loss; hazard: to risk one's life.
    to venture upon; take or run the chance of: to risk a fall in climbing; to risk a war.
    Oxford:
    risk
    noun
    /rɪsk/

/rɪsk/
    ​ [countable, uncountable] the possibility of something bad happening at some time in the future; a situation that could be dangerous or have a bad result
    Collins:
    risk

(rɪsk [IMG] )
    Word forms: risks plural3rd person singular present tense, risking present participle, risked past tense past participle
    1. variable noun
    If there is a risk of something unpleasant, there is a possibility that it will happen.
    There is a small risk of brain damage from the procedure.
    Synonyms: danger, chance, threat, possibility More Synonyms of risk
    2. countable noun
    If something that you do is a risk, it might have unpleasant or undesirable results.
    You're taking a big risk showing this to Kravis.
    Synonyms: gamble, chance, venture, speculation More Synonyms of risk

3. countable noun
    If you say that something or someone is a risk, you mean they are likely to cause harm.
    It's being obese that constitutes a health risk.
    4. countable noun
    If you are considered a good risk, a bank or store thinks that it is safe to lend you money or let you have goods without paying for them at the time.
    Before providing the cash, they will have to decide whether you are a good or bad risk.
    5. transitive verb
    If you risk something unpleasant, you do something which might result in that thing happening or affecting you.
    Those who fail to register risk severe penalties.
    Synonyms: stand a chance of, chance, venture, take the risk of More Synonyms of risk

6. transitive verb
    If you risk doing something, you do it, even though you know that it might have undesirable consequences.
    The skipper was not willing to risk taking his ship through the straits until he could see where he was going.
    7. transitive verb
    If you risk your life or something else important, you behave in a way that might result in it being lost or harmed.
    She risked her own life to help a disabled woman
    Carnegie Mellon (paper from Applied Psy, Cambridge UK)
    A B S T R A C T
    Risk is the focal topic in the management of many activities and technologies.For that management to be
    successful, an explicit and accepted definition of the term "risk" is essential.Creation of that definition is a
    political act, expressing the definers' values regarding the relative importance of different possible adverse
    consequences for a particular decision.Those values,and with them the definition of risk, can change with
    changes in the decision maker,the technologies considered, or the decision problem. After a review of the
    sources of controversy in defining risk, a general framework is developed,showing how these value issues can
    be systematically addressed. As an example,the approach is applied to characterizing the risks of six competing
    energy technologies,the relative riskeness of which depends upon the particular definition used
    MacMillian:
    risk

​noun
    US /rɪsk/
    Word Forms
    DEFINITIONS1
    1. 1
      countable/uncountable the possibility that something unpleasant or dangerous might happen
      Most major changes involve some risk.
      risk of:
      The risk of a major nuclear accident must be taken seriously.
      the risk of doing something:
      The risk of developing lung cancer from smoking is a serious one.
      risk (that):
      There is no risk that the virus can be transferred from patient to doctor.
      risk to:
      The risks to consumers from these products need to be fully analyzed.
      reduce/increase the risk of something:
      You can reduce the risk of heart disease by exercising regularly.
      an element of risk (=some risk):
      All outdoor activities carry an element of risk.
      worth the risk:
      We might get away with it, but is it really worth the risk?
      Collocations and examples
    Synonyms and related words
    1. 1a
      countable someone or something that is likely to be a danger or problem in the future
      risk to:
      The agency claimed that the chemical spill is not a risk to the public.
      health risk (=something that could be a danger to people’s health):
      Some of these restaurants are a clear health risk to diners.
      fire risk (=something that could cause a fire)
      Large quantities of such material constitute a potential fire risk.
      pose a risk (to someone) (=be a risk):
      Such prisoners pose no real risk to the public.
    Encyclopedia Britannica:
    1 risk /ˈrɪsk/ noun
    plural risks
    Britannica Dictionary definition of RISK

: the possibility that something bad or unpleasant (such as an injury or a loss) will happen
    [noncount]
    • I prefer not to expose my money to too much risk.
    • The degree of risk is minimal.
    • All investments have/involve an element of risk.
    [count]
    • The trip didn't seem like much of a risk.
    • I'm aware of the risks associated with this treatment.
    • There is a risk of liver damage with this medication.
    [+] more examples

[count] : someone or something that may cause something bad or unpleasant to happen
    • Smoking is a risk to your lungs.
    • Kids think it's fun, but they don't realize the risks involved.
    • Excess body fat is a serious/significant health risk.
    • The government claims she is a risk to national security.
    — see also security risk

[count] : a person or thing that someone judges to be a good or bad choice for insurance, a loan, etc.
    • Drivers who are considered poor risks have to pay more for car insurance.
    • The bank will determine if a potential borrower is a good/bad credit risk. [=someone who is likely/unlikely to pay back money the bank loans]

Shall I follow up with definitions of "chance"

I swear people think the only meaning of a word is the little slot they want to shoe-horn it into to meet their agenda.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If it is so obvious to everyone it should be trivial to find a source such as wiki or a dictionary to show that you are right. However both of those have been used to show that gambling doesn't depend on the reward and loot crates qualify for that.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

This thread is nonsense. It's the same people that argue for the sake of arguing, people attacking technical points instead of the argument itself, and constant dictionary definitions. None of you are going to convince each other anything. Stop posting.
    Koshk and MasterMagnus like this.
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Facts are kids:
    Billion dollar games had to change their loot crates because of international complaints.

They had to change them so you can see what is inside before purchase.

When the gumball machine is glass it's not a gamble.

You are making a fully informed purchase not a bet.

It isn't gambling to buy a jar of jelly bellies and hope you get more banana flavor this time.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

If everyone wants to bring this back on topic.

No. No they did not think this change through.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A gumball machine gives you a gumball and it is just a different flavor. A loot chest gives you from a wide selection of items which may or may not be useable by you. As an example of any of the heros forge sets require you to make an additional purchase if you have not done that yet.

All you are being asked to do is provide a source to back up your claims.
  9. Monkeychunks Augur

All I know is that dang gumball machine gave me a purple gum ball and the crate gave me a Hero's Forge suit. I spat out the purple gumball and sold that suit for 2 mil in the baz.
    MasterMagnus and Koshk like this.
  10. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You don't get to dictate some terms to me.

And you don't have to agree with me.

You're wrong. Industrialized nations laws and games that sell PURCHASES across the world are not defined as gambling.

If you know the potential contents of your purchase, you are making a fully informed purchase not a bet.
  11. Koshk Augur

Very true, both here, and in 90% of the other threads. :)

Though surprisingly, I actually find myself in complete agreement with Mr. McMarrin on this one.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Do not be discouraged by the naysayers and complainers, Darkpaw Games. Sell both versions of these boxes! Take their money!
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

That is your right.

Keep in mind, even a broken clock can be right twice a day.
    Koshk likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Several people have provided evidence that loot creates are gambling as the possible rewards don't change what gambling is or isn't. All you seem to do is make claims to try and compare a loot crate to a gumball machine or jelly beans because they provide a random flavor.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They took the crates out because they awarded items that can't be used in the current era on a server. They are not going to add them back in and let people win items that are unusable on the server. At best you are going to keep crates off the server until every possible reward from them can be used.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why are you making this about me when I am not the only one that is stating that loot crates are gambling?
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

'Several people' do not counter international law.

Games were made to reveal potential contents, rendering it a fully legal purchase not gambling.

EQ loot crates are in compliance and therefore not gambling by international law.

So there's your fact source. Look it up. Or believe that daybreak is operating an international gambling scheme.

You're wrong regardless.
  18. Koshk Augur

Waring, although we're in agreement about loot crates and gambling, anyone who's spent more than a few days on the forums knows you reply a -lot-. I don't have the stats, but I'm sure it's orders of magnitude more than the average person. Very often, you play the devil's advocate. And you rarely step off your hill.

So I'm not at all surprised to see folks like MasterMagnus challenging you directly. Even though we disagree, I'm rooting for him. You bring this attention on yourself, sir.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I am not making this about you at all.

View my comments that were not replies to anyone. My own statements only.

My statements to you are REPLIES to what you said to me without prompting.

You want me to stop proving you wrong? Stop talking so much.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Please provide a source for your claims as people have provided sources for countries that regulate it because they treat it just like gambling.