EverQuest Producer’s Letter April 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Tappin Augur

It's a valid example.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What are you getting at? This is a system that according the the FAQ isn't designed to be used on live ever as it is designed for issues on the TLP server. That means this won't be changing live servers at all.

And FTE is different then helping players catch up to the actual game which is something that is needed otherwise new players are less likely to stick around if they even try the game.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Which is why I don't understand the thought behind Legecy Chars. Those who need faster exp won't be getting it.
    PCSS, Barraind and xeveq like this.
  4. code-zero Augur

Historically Live players have had full capacity of alts with added slots available up to 14 characters. I think it should be 16 so if I like I can have one each of every class
    PCSS, Aiona, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can have 16 if you had the old station access which allowed access to all games before they made that part of the default subscription
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I did, and it didn't let me have 16 char slots after getting all available extra ones (marketplace & loyalty).
    As I understood it only those players who had subscriptions to the EverQuest Legends Service (Stormhammer Server) got any additional slots.
    code-zero and Yinla like this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Maybe it is a matter of not having that subscription when they ended that service? When it was around it provided an extra two slots and you could still get the 3 from the market place and 3 from loyalty when they added it.
  8. Monkeychunks Augur

Your both right.

If your account was paid for AND
    you were on Legends server access at any point, you got an extra two slots

My account was paid ($9.95) for during that time but I was not on Legends so I do not have the extra 2 slots. Legends was $40 a month and way out of my pricing plan back then.

Feb 1, 2002

Sony have just announced the launch of EverQuest Legends!
    EverQuest Legends is an exclusive server, with a limited population of players able to participate in the new, more dynamic world.

This new premium subscription service costs $39.95 per month instead of the $9.95 pricing.

Benefits include:

New dynamic maps help chart the travels of your character with step by step tracking of your progress through the world of Norrath and beyond. Quickly find which zone your character is bound in, and which zones you have or haven't visited.
    Truly unique and awesome new equipment will be introduced prior to their release on our other servers.
    EverQuest Legends players will have a whole new way to show off their characters and equipment - personal character pages!
    Part of the Legends web site, each player character will have a personal homepage featuring all the character's statistics and items.
    This first open signup for the Legends Service is capped at 8,000 subscribers. Sign-up commences on February 4th.
    As a value-added service to the EverQuest Legends service, you may choose to move up to eight (8) of your existing characters on a single account, with their items, from any existing server to an EverQuest Legends server.

For more information visit the EverQuest Legends website at: http://legends.everquest.station.sony.com
  9. Tappin Augur

EverQuest doesn't any more catch up gimmicks then it already has. There's lots of people who return and make through the content with the help of community in general. I guess there's the problem of ToV on forward, but it's a waste of time to develop gimmick catch up content. I'm talking about content like dailies or some easy repeatable HAs like gribbles. These cause more problems than they are worth.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If that was the case we wouldn't be seeing PL groups on the various servers. It still isn't possible for a player to catch up by themselves to the rest of the player base.
    xeveq, Svann2 and Skuz like this.
  11. jordune Augur

stunning to tell the truth, this topic is the most responded to topic in eq history and when we ask dbg
    for a change.. they double down and change really nadda.
    this server will be a Huge krono grab im thinking. on Mischief i could get a cloak of flames for 1k plat and GEBs for 300 plat.
    this server will have a Forced scarcity of loots and made worse by the FTE idea.. so im thinking we will get to see 10 krono Gebs and 20 krono cloak of flames.
    then add in that bard who grabs lord bergul and kites him around for a month .. o joy..
  12. Purt New Member

Item devaluation from free trade hurting krono sales, or simply not wanting to overplay the mechanic and save it for another year makes sense I guess.

Random loot with the heirloom rule would be a great middle ground. You could overweight the named’s default loot table if you wanted, so that say 70% of the time you get default loot, 30% of the time it’s random - this would help reduce higher levels from griefing exp groups given the FTE change. That’d compound nicely with the rest of the ruleset and open up all the zones so I’m not stuck at, I don’t know, hamlord again.
    PCSS likes this.
  13. brownings New Member

cancelled accounts. I'll come back if they ever do a Free Trade / Random Loot server again.
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

What? Its barely 25% of the "most responded" topic in the announcement subforum, much less "eq history". What are you talking about?
  15. magikarp Elder

think he is referring to the “oakwynd feedback” thread aka bickering containment thread in the tlp section with more than 2500 replies

good thing theres two threads for twice the fun!
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is a thread in these forums with 3,556 replies and 333,938 views and that thread only has 2,643 replies and 58,596 views. Not to mention there has been threads with higher numbers in earlier versions of the forums.
    code-zero likes this.
  17. magikarp Elder

curious what it is, if you dont mind sharing

don’t know how to look up stats like that on this forum

i mean if we’re arguing over who has the biggest thread size i at least got to know what the substance was within all that girth
  18. magikarp Elder

NVM found it. so, there's one single thread bigger than the current oakwynd response. this thread is from 9 years ago, and appears to be primarily girthed up because this is when they added auto grant for AAs. only skimmed a few pages but I think the gist of what I got out of it was that they don't actually care how long a thread gets, because here we are with auto-grant 9 years later

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...the-february-update-developer-updates.207587/

we still have a month to go before the new server so i have some faith we can beat this target unless it gets locked, which it probably should, since we're getting oakwynd FTE no matter what we say anyway, aren't we?
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is on the current forums and there has been previous versions with large threads as well. And I am really curious how your take from that thread is that they don't care about how long a thread gets instead of AA auto grant being something that people like and use even though they didn't like it when it was proposed. I have even seen a thread recently to increase what is auto granted and grant it sooner.
  20. magikarp Elder

WELL sir, since you're "really curious"... let's discuss. 9 years later, autogrant has been embedded into the game so deeply we cannot live without it. it's not just that we 'like and use it' - it's become fundamental to the game in a way that no one would argue for its removal, because they'd be asking for thousands and thousands of hours of grinding. heck, they can give me all my AAs every xpac. sounds nice after living with the system for this long and doing so many tlp resets

in effect, they have used the excuse of autogrant to continuously bloat the AA system beyond any reasonable alternative

however, there once was another way. they may have gone a different direction and avoided building on and nurturing a bloated, complicated system of AAs and not have had to invalidate all of those hours each expansion by autogranting it. in this alternative reality everquest, perhaps they applied some creativity and built a more intuitive system

but they didn't. they built autogrant, announced it (probably after it was built like FTE), disregarded more than 3,000 posts discussing it (i'm sure a great many pro and cons), and here we are 9 years later with it embedded so deep in the beast it's impossible to remove. and to your point, yeah EQ has had a lot of systems updates that players haven't really wanted but now either have grown addicted to, tolerate, or just ignore. and yet, most of the players disappear from the tlps once a lot of these 'modern' changes become relevant, and then just wait for the next tlp where they have simple everquest again.

so, it's an interesting discussion about how EQ has had systems overhauls and updates over the years, and one worth having. but applying it exactly to FTE should be done in a nuanced way, since autogrant and FTE are obviously not the same thing. in fact, i feel like you're forcing me to make a comparison between these two systems for some point gotcha you're trying to make, but i will be happy to indulge you further.

the fact remains, FTE is obviously causing a lot of discussion and that is an objective observation. now as for my opinion of it? it's not going to solve what it says on the tin (training and ks'ing), and it's coming anyway, so might as well pucker up
    PCSS and MasterMagnus like this.