Overlap between Druid/Ranger and Sham/Bst?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by TheDude, Apr 26, 2023.

1. TheDude New Member

There's a lot of overlap between the hybrids and their spell casting counterparts at low level. Does that stop mattering eventually? And at what level range does it stop? I am mostly asking about Druid/Ranger and Shaman/Beast.

EDIT: When I say overlap I mean they get a lot of the same spells that do not stack. Which means the pure casters just flat out overwrite the hybrids spells.
  2. Syylke_EMarr Augur

This mostly stops in the 50s-60s, and basically goes away eventually. There are a few shared buffs/debuffs that may not stack*, but most everything else splits into class-specific spells.

* - HP/stat buffs, snare, and slow for the most part
  3. TheDude New Member

Thanx for the quick reply. Probably going to run Druid and Ranger together and didn't want to find out later that nothing they cast stacks.
  4. Syylke_EMarr Augur

About the only stacking issues I can think of between those 2 in later levels are snare (they'll overwrite each other), basic HP buff (Druid's is better), and a higher level magic damage debuff (Druid's is better but isn't as spammable, afaik).
  5. Szilent Augur

Season's Wrath and Elemental Arrow are both 1/minute AAs. Which allows hitting twice as many enemies in a group context!
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

I leveled up a druid/ranger pair and somewhere in the 70s, they pretty much diverged as far as spells go and became their own things. There are a few things (as others mentioned) like snare and the occaisonal debuff/buff or damage shield that might overwrite each other, but it's seriously not enough to worry about.
  7. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Ah cool! I don't main either so wasn't sure on their respective cooldowns; just knew there was some overlap in effect :p
  8. Crystilla Augur

As you probably know (but some new players may not), the reason there are similiarities in the line is because a ranger is a hybrid (with druid being one of the parent classes), hence the ranger will have weaker versions of some spells that the druid has. Same with shaman and beastlord as the beastlord is a hybrid (with the shaman one of the parent classes) and therefore will have someweaker versions of the shaman spells.
  9. aozs Augur

Sham/bst is fine too. Sham has stronger slow and shielding buff, but other than that the stuff they bring to the group is pretty much independent, no worries about overlap or things not stacking.
  10. Roxas MM Augur

later in game bst/sham combo can do a lot more then the ran/dru combo. the lack of real haste and slow for ran/dru will be more and more obvious. also this combo has no real tank, where as the bst has his pet to help tanking, and the strong slow of a shaman will help a ton there as well. Also, the beast is a surprisingly good tank if need to be as well, with a lot better defensive clicks when stuff hits the fan.
    my wife and i when we started playing were a dru/ran combo and apart from root rotting, with the ranger shooting some arrows, there is not much you can do with the 2 of you. We now play bst/dru which is a lot better, and tbh i'd rate the shaman higher then the druid still, with it's better slows, much better melee adps ( druid only mostly brings caster adps ) and even better healing then the druid can.but hey,
    enjoy whatever you choose.