Oakwynd and the new UI thing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fractalis, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Fractalis New Member

I remember there was plans to improve EQ's UI during March/April. Do we know if v1 of the changes will hit live by the time Oakwynd releases in less than one month?

Having a lot of issues at the moment trying to play in 4k windowed mode (game opens up minimized, need to manually Alt + Enter every time, stuff gets moved around, some components are supersmall in 4k..etc)

Would be amazing if we could get the new thing in time to avoid spending the first week re-arranging a flustercuck of windows!
  2. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Yeah they did that on purpose, and it's the worst change to date. It was a 'fix' to a very small number of users not being able to log into the game without editing their ini file. So instead of them making one small change once, they've ruined the log in experience for everyone who plays full screen. It would be 90% less offensive if they gave you a setting to start in fullscreen, but they've shown no sign of wanting to fix their broken 'quick fix'.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/eq-automatically-into-window-mode.284581/
  3. pipedreams3 Journeyman

indeed. I personally i would love it if i didn't have to restart my computer after closing the client every time.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is unlikely something simple for them to fix and there is a chance that any possible fix will be with the direct x upgrade later this year.
  5. uberkingkong Augur

While they doing UI, they mine as well autoimport map files.

This MMO is so lazy when it comes to maps.
  6. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Have you tried - and hear me out here - NOT playing the 24 year old game in 4k? The UI provides no options for scaling. It is unclear if the new UI will provide this option.

I have played the game in 2k and in 4k and I have to say, I prefer 2k since the UI scaling issue is less pronounced and the game looks pretty much the exact same otherwise.

Also, you DO know that you can hit Alt + Enter at the character select screen to preserve your UI placement, right?
  7. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

Even on test only 4 windows have been converted over to the new engine and they're not even the important ones so very unlikely that it'll be pushed to live before the next TLP launches. I'd say check out existing custom UIs, doing a scaled up custom UI is very possible under the current engine so I'm sure somebody's made one.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The new UI has scaling built into it though it scales the entire UI and people have requested to ability to scale each window separately.
  9. Jakken Journeyman

Why do you have to restart your computer?
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is a common misconception about Maps, probably because it was so long ago people forgot why they were added in the first place.

The whole point of the Map system was the devs providing a tool to the community.
    The maps themselves were always intended to be created by the community for the community, the devs doing them would negate why the tool was added to begin with, it was really just an extension of what many players were doing back then but with pencil & grid-lined paper.

Now the assumption is the game should have all the maps by default just because other games have maps by default.

Originally the game had no maps & you either had to memorize them through play or make your own map or use those made by others, this was a legacy of the games MUD roots.
    Fallfyres, Rijacki and Doze like this.
  11. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

So what you are saying is the dev team opted to not work on a basic QoL feature that everyone was asking for and instead told the community "If you want maps, make them yourself" and we shouldn't see this as lazy? The only reason the "maps were intended to be created by the community" was because the dev team decided it wasn't worth their time.

I usually agree with you on a lot of points Skuz, but I don't think its a "common misconception" to characterize the way that the EQ dev team handled maps as lazy. I think that is probably the most apt characterization of what they did. It was, at best, a half-measure.

I also see no problem in holding this game to the standards that other games in the industry have set in the years since EQ released. Maps are a good thing. Companies know this. That is why many of them provide maps. Your assumption that EQ should not be held to the same standard as other games in the genre/industry just because it didn't originally release with maps is confusing considering I know how active you are in advocating for positive changes within the game.
  12. Dmitry Elder

The UI scales fine. Just takes a ton of inputs to get it just right.
  13. Dmitry Elder

Just download the damn map files From Brewall and Goods like the rest of us.
    Yinla and Doze like this.
  14. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I do download maps. I use them all the time. You seem to have missed the entire point of my post. I don't care if they never add developer made maps to the game. I was saying that it was a lazy choice. I see you don't have any opposition to my main point, since it eluded you entirely.
  15. Captain Video Augur

I've missed it too. There is a default map set (appropriately named "Default") that gets installed with the client. Where do you think those maps came from? Yes, the game launched without a map feature, but that was a pre-meditated design choice by Brad and Co, because they were used to other games which forced players to map everything. They're long gone, and the game has provided UI support for both game-supplied and player custom maps for, let's see, it has to be 20 years now.
    Rijacki likes this.
  16. pipedreams3 Journeyman

This has been a known issue that affects tonnes of people for more than year. When I close EQ on either of my 3 computers, randomly (but most of the time), my gamma is turned to zero. So I can't see my desktop, browser, or anything.

On the topic of maps, i loved this game without maps. it forced me to pay attention to my surroundings and while i still try to do that, it's not the same. Getting lost was frustrating but somehow part of the world. :p
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It wasn't a lazy choice it was a compromise from what the devs wanted and what the players wanted. Devs didn't want maps, players did, so they allowed players to make maps and share them.
  18. Velisaris_MS Augur

Are you saying that it's a black screen, or just dark?

If it's just dark, you don't need to reboot. Open up your video card's software/control panel and tell it to use the card's settings. I have the same issue...when I shut down EQ, the gamma is way too dark. It takes like 3 seconds to fix it.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This.
  20. Dmitry Elder

So your point is to complain about something easy to fix? I love the fact that you think the UI doesn't scale. Anyone that has played this game a bit knows you can scale everything.