Noob - Molo - Server selection?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Slyxsith, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Slyxsith New Member

Been decades bla bla ;) Wanting to play a little old school :)

I dont intend to box, Highly doubt I'll find other people leveling but.. What server makes the most sense for a nooblet?

Not going to sub up at the moment. Got about 6 silver accounts. Handfulls of lvl 60 chars on Luclin. Got the urge to roll up a noob necro today.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Iven Antonius Bayle

Just roll a dice. Avoid dying servers with a low player population like AB, Povar and Luclin. The xp bonus on FV can also be a problem if you want to enjoy the lower level zones.

https://eqresource.com/serverstatus.php
  3. Relyn Lorekeeper

If you're just molo and won't box, I suggest FV. Besides the faster exp, it is free trade. Makes it easier to gear your single character to molo.

I molo'd a necro to max last year. Had a blast playing zones I never been to. Not sure I would have been able to as easily without a raid pet focus.
  4. DiceWrangler New Member

Any server will do as you will be alone (with your merc and pet) for most of your journey -- except in the tutorial zone (Gloomingdeep Mines), Bazaar (all AFK) or Plane of Knowledge (mostly AFK in a tight cluster waiting for free buffs; buffs do not expire in PoK). Do not bother going into dungeons for specific loot as Defiant Armor will, likely, surpass anything that might drop and it can drop in any zone. You can purchase any missing pieces from the Bazaar or a few merchants in PoK; mobs drop Defiant pieces for the basic armor slots only: head, chest, arms, etc. but not rings, earrings, neck, etc. Go into dungeons for fun and because it is more interesting and challenging than just grinding away in outdoor zones or doing easy quests. Do not bother grinding XP either because you will outlevel everything so quickly that, if playing a spellcaster, you will constantly need to return to PoK to purchase new spells.

For a Necro molo, I recommend a healer merc. Do not worry too much about them being attacked because a healer merc is a Cleric -- in Plate Armor w/Shield -- and they, likely, have better AC and more HP than you do! Let them off-tank a bit but be careful about getting swarmed because they will run away if there are too many mobs attacking them! Also, if you die but your pet kills the last mob your (healer) merc will rez you! Note that healer mercs do not fight so if your pet dies they will die too, eventually.
  5. Regulus New Member

I'm pretty new and have been on FV, didn't even realize there was an xp bonus. How much is it, exactly?
  6. KrishnaRamChandra New Member

why do you spell noob with two o's when the helping phriendly books clearly states stop that newb when not saying newb is spelled nub stop please thankvyou you're welcome i love you goto 25 stop
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Probably for the same reason you don't use punctuation.
    Metanis and Regulus like this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

I'd recommend either:
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

If you are intending to Molo, then any server with mercs will do. Free trade would be good since gear would probably be easier to obtain, and bonus XP rates would be great too.

If you have a subscription, then you should at least try some TLP time and see if you can get a group. I believe Thornblade is about to have mercs open up. I haven't spent much time on TLP.

Pretty much any class can molo, and you should play a class you enjoy, but the best experience is often with Tanks and Pet classes if you are setting off with the intention to molo.
  10. CharleBeth New Member

OMG, what's a molo????
  11. Regulus New Member

Moloing is soloing using a mercenary.
  12. Crashdummy Elder

Bonus XP on FV is 50%, as he is planning to stay silver that puts the TLP servers out at least for now. For what it is worth Luclin has a modest population, and if you check what classes you have in your crew, you could use an account that lets you use buffers from the others, or not as you choose.
  13. Fenanebae Terrwyn Lorekeeper

Luclin server is dying? Is this like EQ is dying? Asking for a friend, because that is news to me.
  14. Iven Antonius Bayle

A server with a high share of low population is about to die if that does increase over the years. Luclin was a launch server so it is definetly not in a good condition especially when you compare it with other launch servers that are still around. EQ is slowly dying since about 18 years when you know how many servers it had in the past, but most servers are very healthy with a few exceptions. More server merges are necessary since many years.
  15. Slyxsith New Member

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all of the feedback. It took like 3 days for my post to get released by moderation so I stopped checking back :)

I have been playing on FV and got my necro into the mid 40s. Remember some of the completely assenine parts of EQ that frustrate the living hell out of me..

Examples:
    - Wandering mobs that are 10-20 levels higher than the rest of the mobs in a zone that are often hidden around corners or in buildings you cant see (City of Mist) basically killing you in 3 seconds before you can even react.
    - Boxers just rolling through an area pulling everything and or training you. (Will note this only happened a couple times and I suspect they are just on full auto. I have encountered several boxers who respectfully stayed away from my camp.)
    All in all it was fun but I can see the grind is gonna hit like a mack truck haha. Still man Im 50+ and wanted something to dsitract me.
    Appreciate all the advice folks. FV it is! Autohot-key and some very basic multi-boxing may be in my future. Not sure if a druid, shammy or chanter would be an ideal offbox. I dont see auto-hotkey helping with a chanter and CC so really the chanter would just be for mana regen but with a necro why? So then really its Druid or shammy as the second box for buffs/debuffs and or some light deeps/dots

PS: I also hear mage / mage pets are crazy good soloers so maybe a mage w/pet for secondary for flame shield/Deeps and run a healer merc on the mecro. Kinda like it.

Thanks!