Am I the weird one? (New TLP)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Terethian, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Terethian Elder

My qwerks:
    I prefer to play one character. (Have plenty of time spent boxing and am just tired and spent.)
    I am so against supporting krono farmers and RMT traders that I only use what drops.
    The biggest thing I look forward to in a new server is an active lore aspect of towns and classic areas being utilized.
    I am more interested in roleplaying, fishing in combat areas and being a traveling chef (roleplaying example.)
    I don't care if I get my epic - it's usually too bogged down till late end anyways. In fact, most worth while things are unless you can get pick zones which doesn't help much with cleric epic for instance.
    I don't want to care what my level and power are. I am in no hurry. I always feel like these TLP's are too fast. It's streamlined for those rush to max gamers.

So the question is am I the weird one?

And finally:

Why release such a meh ruleset server?
    For instance, even though I would prefer an IP locked NO Box server. (Insert expected negative comments below.)
    I don't see why they don't try something REALLY new like an EZ server.
    Examples:
    Play one character - allow full merc groups and or full merc raids.
    Or at the very least fully address the bottleneck single spawns like Begurgle for cleric epic which can be super on lock down.

Or release a from the ground up re-imagining of all zones in the game? (Mainly npc placement, drops, quests, factions etc. Again, I can do this for free. Just provide me the EQ tools and give me 1 year. Can use Mysql etc. and my understanding is the official tools are probably just as easy to use as GeorgeS's tools.
    Hirbow and pipedreams3 like this.
  2. PipotheAFILADOR Journeyman

We really have no idea how much of their time is spent resolving tickets of trains/ks.

Could really be as simple as that, however its clear the devs are totally disconnected from how early EQ actually works because being able to "hold" rares and phs from others and third party users who can target mobs before they materialize is going to be wild
  3. uberkingkong Augur

Better TLP is,
    1. A GM or more is always available during working hours, 9 to 5 PST
    2. GM events may occur, GM can do whatever they want to the server

Instead of spending 3 coders salaries and a project manager salary from time on making TLP ruleset,
    save it,
    more cost effective to have a GM or two and do a normal TLP with GM always there

Look at Yelinak, nothing special just a normal TLP server,
    Yelinak is doing a lot better, lot better perceived then this
    Oakwynd thousands of dollars spent on it TLP.
    Lots of hours of coding spent on Oakwynd
    Lots of time data analyst think tankers of EQ spent on Oakwynd

Lots of time spent on Oakwynd.
    Yelinak, just a nothing special TLP, gonna stay bigger.

$$$$$ spent, time is money spent on creating Oakwynd TLP

Having a GM sit on a server 9 to 5, that is more cost effective then $$$ spent on creating Oakwynd.

GM server, anything is possible.
    "pvp event, winner wins a Hero's Forge unlock claimable"
    Familycat23 likes this.
  4. Falafel Lorekeeper

Yes, you are different than the majority, which is fine. P99 may be a better fit for you.

Your reason for playing self found only is a little weird. I hope you realize the vast majority of people selling loot are just normal players playing the game, not RMTers.
    Appren likes this.
  5. code-zero Augur

I suspect that you are the sort of player who would falsely accuse anyone and everyone who you perceived as having fun the wrong way to be some sort of cheater. You would then proceed to pester the GM's so much that they'd remember you with no fondness and cringe when your name appeared on a petition

In short, you're weird and it doesn't sound like weird in a fun way
  6. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Absolutely nothing in the OPs post said they didn't think others shouldn't have fun in their own ways or that it was wrong not to have fun in the OPs preferred way. You and a few others responding are the ones who insist yours is the only right way to play.

I suspect there are more of us "weird ones" than the toxic TLP posters think. There might even be an intent, with this new TLP to appeal more to the "weird ones" than the usual TLP crowd of 'recyclers'.

• I am also looking forward to experiencing the lore and such of the classic areas with more population in them since I am more of a "the journey" vs the mad dash to the end type of player. However, the shortened timelime of the expansions being added doesn't really bother me at all, if I am not "done" with the content I'm in, I'll just continue what I am doing. That also doesn't mean I want to do every bit of content in an expansion, I could do that on Live if I want.
    • I generally prefer to roleplay as well (though I do incorporate mechanics into my RP because they are part of my character's world). I've met interesting people while fishing in unconventional locations when I wanted to do something more peaceful. I also tradeskill and give away or sell stuff I've made. I also do tradeskilling when I want a less frenzied pace.
    • I am also not a fan (at all) of krono farmers and RMT traders but I'm not a strictly use what drops. I will trade or whatnot if the prices aren't above what I can make. I've tried to do the "use only what drops for that character and it lasts, for me, less than 20 levels before I am "mooching" from my other characters or looking to do trades and stuff.
    • I am a bit of an alt-a-holic, though, in the past, I have played a single character for years on a single server where you could only have one per account and multi-boxing on the same computer hadn't been made possible (and the single character per account was one of the things everyone said was why FV would fail when it was launched). I suspect the Legacy bonuses are to attract the alt-a-holic looking for a different experience.
    Absolutely nothing in my own gameplay should be considered threatening to the "must make it to the end and raid all the things" players, but I guarantee they will attack me on the forums because I choose not to play in the style they deem required.
    As long as you are having fun, not breaking any of the game company's rules, treating other players with respect, and not expecting anything on a silver platter, you win at the game you're playing. Because the real and only purpose of a GAME is to have fun. This allows for a wide range of playstyles, too, since different people might find fun in different ways.
    Regulus and TLP Addict like this.
  7. TLP Addict Augur

All these flavors and you choose to be salty, there's nothing in the OP that justifies these outlandish accusations, people are entitled the enjoy the game as they see fit if it isn't impacting others.
    Schwifty and Rijacki like this.
  8. Wanderfurther New Member

I am a similar player and would rather the world be alive and active than maximizing every mechanic and aspect in the best zones possible. I think the modern game can achieve and do that the player base just has to want it and engage more in the character building than the item chase. There are a lot of people like this from what I have seen but they are not going to be advertising in general chat normally. You will find me and others in the empty zones most people do not travel just running around and exploring. The best way this works from what I have seen is just to be open to playing the game with anyone in the empty zones and not be so stuck on solo play.
  9. code-zero Augur

Did you read the entire post?
    Lessee
    Right...that doesn't fly any red flag for you??

How about...
    Oddly enough there's a flavor of bootleg server that has just that sort of mechanics which is odd given the previous request

Finally
    Yeah...right.... when someone tells me that they could rewrite the entire game really easy that fires off a lot of fireworks that spell NARCISIST in the skies above Norrath.

I'm not salty, just a realist
  10. Captain Video Augur

The ghost of Brad is strong in this one.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Terethian Elder

I could easily pick apart things, analyze them and be overly critical. I choose not too. I am not angry. My biggest feeling is sadness.

I don't know what the developers are like. They are probably good people to be fair.

I know who I am.

I wake up and remember dreams and in those dreams was Everquest.

When somebody talks about the "afterlife" I envision an Everquest world we all have fun in together. I was there. In my dreams. No jokes, no lying. It was amazing. If anyone can dream a world to have fun in it is someone like that. I love the world. I want to become the High elven cleric and use the powers of the God's to help those in need.

I can do that. Water is wet. People need to breathe. I can do that. Would I prefer help? Absolutely. SURE! YES! But I can do it.

I simply can. And I will. With or without the tools that make it easy.

The ghostly wail of the wind was the only sound to be heard. A scaly hand traced an arcane sigil in the air. "Yesssssss...", a voice came from a shrouded cloak. The sigil burned with a blood red light, flashing red onto the rocky earth below.
    "Sssssspring forth with MY WILL!", the voice boasted.
    The land itself shook with a slow tremor. The shocks continued and increased in strength.

- By Terethian, not to be continued.
  12. Koshk Augur

Based on what I've seen of other players, yes.

No one on these forums can answer that. You will need to contact DPG directly and ask for their reasons.

P.S. I'm sorry that some people cannot resist clicking "Reply" and being jerks.
    P.P.S. "quirks"
  13. Schwifty Journeyman

That's all plain zero does.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They tried dedicated GM's before and it doesn't work out as the costs to hire a single GM would eat away at a large chunk of the profits from a server.
    Appren, Rijacki and code-zero like this.
  15. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I think if they were to do it again today, it would have to be like the original prestige server (Storm-something?) with a higher subscription price -and- no Krono to make all of the subscription going to Daybreak to offset the price of the server. I think, though, it would need to start like a TLP but allow no transfers off to not become a conduit for RMT to/from Free Trade servers (as it did with some exploited loopholes back in the day).

While I did not want to use that server when it was offered way back when, I might consider it now and not jsut because my financial status has changed since then.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

One of the reasons that server was shutdown was due to the unrealistic expectations that some players had regarding what they are entitled to in regards to GM support from the extra that they paid. That is likely to be the same if not worse if they tried it again.
    Rijacki likes this.
  17. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Considering the unrealistic expectations otherwise exhibited, you're likely right.
  18. authorized411 New Member

Maybe if there was a chat filter addon to remove the entire message from the client if it contains the word "krono" it might feel like EQ again.
  19. wade_watts Augur

Sounds like you should go make your own E.M.U. and report back when it is wildly popular.
  20. PandAura New Member

No, you're not weird. While certainly not the majority, there's plenty of players like you in EQ. You just won't find them obsessing over the game and being vocal in the forums. I too could care less about ultimate power level, server firsts, raiding, all that, at least these days.

EQ for me is all about the journey, not the destination. If I want to feel powerful in a game, I play a skill based game like dota. EQ has such low skill expression, its more about gear/time spent getting that gear and your other 30+ guildmates doing the same. And every time I've played in a hardcore raiding guild, its full of cheaters and botters. I just don't get why you would do that, but to each their own, obviously daybreak needs them to keep the servers running and will never do anything about it, so it is what it is. You're either botting/cheating or you're behind, but at least we still get to play.

Don't let the turbo nerds in here get you down. There are and will be plenty of people on the new server who just want to hang out and get some sweet xp a few days a week without making EQ their entire life.
    Fallfyres, Ruhi and Rijacki like this.