Rogue Run Speed

Discussion in 'Melee' started by VerranaFV, Apr 1, 2023.

1. VerranaFV Journeyman

I am probably late to the party here, but I feel like pure melee classes, such as Rogues, need a bit of a boost in run speed. Nothing too major, but something more than what it is now. Rogues can't properly utilize sneak & hide / SOS while using a mount. There is no issue if a bard is around, but unless you box a bard you can't always count on that. Casters and priests can reliably use their mount for extra speed, unless it's an indoor zone, but I feel they are the least likely classes to be mobile no matter where they are. Others often rely on Rogues to scout, so it makes sense they should be able to move quickly and evasively. What are others' thoughts on this?
  2. Szilent Augur

you can't click Sneak/Hide while mounted, but you can click them as your mount summons.
    Silvena and Quatr like this.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

Click your mount.
    Click your Hide hotkey.
    Click your Sneak hotkey. (or whatever the order is for SoS...I forget)

It won't work if you have hide/sneak together on a macro...you have to click each skill hotkey individually. It helps if you have all 3 hotkeys right next to each other on the hotbar.
  4. VerranaFV Journeyman

Thanks, I'll try that out. That should help with outdoor zones! However, that doesn't help for indoor zones (such as Paludal), so a bit of a boost in run speed would still be more than welcome.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm always somewhat hopeful the devs read forum posts when trying to make decisions for upcoming expansions, AA abilities, etc. Maybe something like a focus AA to increase run speed while sneak/hide (SOS) is active. Would be nice for scouting and dragging corpses (when needed).
  5. Ganlaen New Member

Are you using Whisper Step? When used correctly, it's super helpful in moving around faster, especially in conjunction with being on a mount, but it makes running through zones like Ka Vethan noticeably speedier where you can't use a mount.
  6. Conq Augur

But Whisper Step is worthless while encountering any changes in Z axis, like Paludal Caverns in NoS.
    Conq
  7. Knifen Augur

But Whisper Step is worthless

Fixed it for you.

Having to be hidden and hidden for x amount of time to use it is just lame.
    VerranaFV, Velisaris_MS and Conq like this.
  8. VerranaFV Journeyman

Yeah, there aren't a lot of practical applications for Whisper Step out in the world if you have steps, hills, valleys, or even rocks that might mess with the z axis.
  9. Sissruukk Rogue One

I have whisper step on my toolbar, but it is covered with so much dust that I can hardly read it.

As far as SoS, I don't believe there is a specific order to get it going, just have to be in hide/sneak or sneak/hide mode. I have mine set up to sneak then hide because I can go SoS while running.
  10. Belexes ForumQuester

Yes, you can.

Use your best mount as the stat mount, but click a mount that has a slow cast time, so you can have time to get SoS'd.

To OP...

Max out your AA run speed. Get ranger or bard buff

My rogue runs pretty fast with no mount.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  11. Belexes ForumQuester

Misread Szilent's post. He is correct.
  12. VerranaFV Journeyman

I appreciate all the suggestions, but my original post has more to do with a "quality of life" improvement for Rogues as a whole, at this stage of the game anyway. I use the mount trick when I can, but that doesn't help indoors, and run speed AA is maxxed. Also, a LOT of illusions outside of PCs and skeletons can't be used with mounts, so that whole part of the Rogue bag-of-tricks is pushed to the back burner if you're doing a lot of running around.

I'm not overly hopeful any change will ever happen as a result of the suggestion. But, part of the fun of forum discussions regarding classes is talking with others about changes (even if they are small changes) one would like to see implemented.

BTW: I'm fairly new to the Rogue class. I've played EQ on and off for over 20 years, but this is my first full melee character! Just tossing around ideas that I think would add to the fun :)
  13. Brickhaus Augur

You are talking about run speed indoors, something that most classes cannot do anything about either.

Why is this a rogue issue and not a EQ QoL issue?

BTW, at least some casters (those without pets) are far more mobile than any melee (since getting hit is generally much worse for casters).
  14. VerranaFV Journeyman

My original post did not refer to only indoor speed, but I get what you are saying. It is an overall QoL observation, but the POV is simply from a Rogue standpoint as that is the class I mainly play currently.
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

There is no quality of life issue. You want to be innately faster, but there is no actual need for you to be innately faster. The Devs will explicitly not give you full mount or bard speeds. They have regretted bard speed since it came in and that is why they built in several downsides to mounts. Even when they first gave a single class more runspeed AAs than the others in order to provide some parity between the primary pulling classes at the time, they refused to give full parity. The only reason that they gave all classes additional runspeed AAs later was because they had to increase the runspeed of the mobs to prevent issues with warping, and the players needed to be faster to run from them if reasonably necessary.

People have pointed out that you can most definitely use SoS with a mount, just not with just any mount. The more realistic request would have been for them to change the sneak/hide mechanics to allow you to do them on a mount, rather than trying to claim that Rogues need a higher innate runspeed.
  16. VerranaFV Journeyman

And as I said, I appreciate all the suggestions. But, the fact remains that people are allowed to have wish lists for things they would like to see EVOLVE in a game. This isn't a request, more like an open thought process. And you know what they say about opinions...everyone has them. It's your opinion that there is no QoL aspect, while my opinion is that there is. :)