Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would they be keeping the older servers if the goal was to get people to move from last years server to the this years server? If the goal was to just keep people in classic they could just reset the server each year instead of going to all the work of doing server merges and setting up a new server.
  2. wade_watts Augur

Indeed. It points out that people enjoy and desire a specific kind of new server.
  3. Ruhi Augur

let me reiterate what i said:

i never said the goal was to get people to move - old servers still have people who enjoy the era/content they are in

fresh servers bring people back every year - there are folks who wait around for a fresh server every year - very clear examples are the folks claiming to not resub up for oakwynd because they don't like the ruleset and "just wish they did a mischief 2.0" when mischief exists in era/content they don't prefer
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  4. Ruhi Augur

yes. it points out people enjoy and like new fresh servers - if they didn't, i don't think we'd have all the discussion that's been done.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think you are missing my point, you made a statement that suggested you switched to the new servers as they got launched and I am just pointing out that is not the goal of launching a new server. There is expected to be years in which some players are not interested in rolling a character on the upcoming TLP server.
  6. wade_watts Augur

Oh man - have you interpreted this thread as generalized interest for any kind of new server? Oof.
  7. Until We Felt Red Augur

Mischief is the most populated TLP server in the game, now. Today. So, nah to pretty much everything you just said--which can mostly be summed up as, "WAAAAH!".

You don't play on it anymore, so maybe stop obsessing over it since most people seem to enjoy it. The game isn't tough, dude. It's slow. Some of us have things to do. Thanks.
  8. Go Take A Nap Augur

Mischief was a RMT Krono paradise too, was a fun server to play on regardless, and gave everyone a taste of the green stuff. Who cares? Why is it worth bringing up how other people play? I dont understand the complainers on here who have to bring up how krono is moved around and pretend that if affects their gameplay in some way.
  9. Zrender Augur

Actually, though usually higher, it (Mischief) has been below yelinak a couple times this past week (which is pretty surprising) and it's pretty much always below fv and bb (those two are not tlp of course). I thought it's population would have gone up quite a bit when it became known that Oakwynd was not free-trade, I even posted that theory on the forums. Guess I was wrong. Could it be that the mighty Mischief won't even stand up to the notorious and dreaded Oakwynd? Guess we'll see next month.
  10. Zrender Augur

Like you, I don't really care much about gear rmt, especially if it's instanced stuff. Starts becoming a problem when it's super overt (same boxer at many camps in many picks etc) or botted. Or blatantly botted with mass exploits like Siren's usually is. However, I do have a big problem with afk AE PLing RMT. It's massively disruptive in zones and chat and overall just slimy. Doubly so when they do it in zones like Hole and Velks.
  11. Zinkeh Augur

What a shame. Oh well, lol. Welcome to Test TLP.
  12. Ruhi Augur

again, let me reiterate what i've already said:

of course there are players who don't reroll every tlp, but to deny that new tlps cause people to resub and get back into the game when they are playing 0 tlps is odd.

my own experience is what my opinion is based on - i've played on 3 tlps - i typically go for 1-2 years, then take a half year or so break, then game changing mechanics and curiosity draw me back in to resub and give the new ruleset a whirl.
  13. Ruhi Augur

you obviously don't understand context of the conversation and that's ok.

the context is as follows - people want mischief 2.0 instead of oakwynd - a good portion of oakwynd criticism stems from it not being mischief rules - some folks have said a server exists with the rules they want - i've claimed people like fresh and these criticisms stem from people wanting mischief rules on a fresh server

<insert hyperbolic gen z speak here>
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  14. wade_watts Augur

Yeah - as has been stated many times and in sundry ways - people enjoy the first 3,6,12 months of EQ and they want to do it on a ruleset that they enjoy. Assuming people will just play TSS and beyond on a 2 year old TLP just because it has the ruleset they want is only half the equation. Lots have tried but EQ is just a different game within the first year vs. the follow expansions.

The real question is - could Oakwynd stand up to a Mischief 2.0? We will never know since people wanting the early EQ experience now have a choice to either 1) not play EQ at all or 2) play on Oakwynd.

Everyone here is just sharing their opinion about what they want. Some that don't like it will still resentfully play on it because it's literally the only option. Others will sit out this round. Pretending to know what could have been is just foolish.

p.s. - Mischief 2.0 would have been wildly more popular.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And again, let me restate what I said. An individual TLP server not attracting a player to create a character on it isn't an issue. The goal of creating a server each year isn't to try and get every possible player to create characters there. There will be years when the server doesn't appeal to some players and that isn't a problem as there are plenty of other servers they can play on.
  16. Zephiron Elder

If you make this server free trade count me in for three Subs loved mischief just had to take a break would love a fresh start on a similar server
  17. code-zero Augur

I suspect that there are people who are hung up on the notion of an experimental TLP. They don't like that at all. Different phrasing would have been fine. Second, bringing any of the ruleset to Live should never have been mentioned. Most people playing Live have no interest in what they see and solutions to non existent problems. I honestly think that there was a time period when the Devs considered making all servers TrueBox back before they released Miragul but fortunately they realized that was not an option. "Kill Stealing" and Training are issues they wanted to address and this is what they've come up with.
    Zrender likes this.
  18. Komodon Augur

Lot of that boils down to what evaluating metrics are going into what's being calculated as a successful outcome though.

Say somebody rolls a toon on the new server, puts in the obligatory time doing the experience level grind to 50 in classic, and then spends some time checking out the scene before bailing out with no commitment beyond the 1 krono that has been sitting in their stash stockpile since before 2017. They make no cash shop purchases, and sure as heck don't throw down on any bags.

That was basically the Mischief experience for countless people out there. Which from the outside looking in, and solely off "OMG look at all these people that showed up!" perception, certain seems like a big winner playing out. But internally and from the daybreak business model perspective....are those really being deemed a successful outcome?
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The server still shows as having a high population level on the server status page which suggests that it is still going strong.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

And it would have been a thousand times worse had they intended to bring this crap to Live and NOT mentioned it at all until they just sprung it on everyone like they have been doing with all sorts of bad ideas in the last few years.

At least by throwing that out there ahead of time, it gives Live players a chance to point out to them just how incredibly stupid of an idea it really is.