Legacy experience is a glimmer of hope

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Shakara, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Shakara Augur

While FTE has taken the spotlight by storm I think this new concept of Legacy experience deserve some discussion too. I think while not as flashy as some ideas for a server it does show the devs are attempting to address one of EQ biggest problems currently and that is servers quickly become top heavy. This problem also compounds more and more each expansion as the road from the beginning get long and harder as not only are there more levels to get but less and less people to play with to get those levels. Legacy experience while by no means is a solution in itself it is a good step in the right direction.

I have often claimed that EQ needs something to incentivize people with max level characters to engage in the leveling process as this put more population in the open world and creates more group content. This in turn not only makes the server feel more alive but increases longevity as a server with people leveling all the time has many more opportunities for new people to get involved. My original idea was something of a prestige system where when you got a character to max level you could choose to delete it for some kind of meaningful reward. This way you were always incentive to keep leveling alts even if you had your main at max lvl. Legacy experience does something similar by making subsequent character you create easier and easier to level meaning people will have more incitive to level many characters. On top of this they are making raid lockout by character so you will have opportunities to gear out those other characters. At the end of the day EQ is best when there is many players in the open world grouping and questing and i think Oakwynd is taking some meaningful steps to fixing some big problems that plaque EQ.
    Tarvas, klanderso and Zrender like this.
  2. coltongrundy Augur

I think there is a deficiency in your understanding of legacy characters. People who want to take advantage of the bonus experience of legacy characters, and the character-specific AOC lockouts, will level up their legacy characters early, and will keep them maxed out. Whenever a new level cap increase expansion drops, people will only need get those last 5 levels on their legacy characters. That has never been an issue on any TLP. It's always the very low level zones that are ghost towns.

Oakwynd is just a gift to the krono farmers, power levelers, and bot crews, on a silver platter. All of its systems are perfectly designed to increase the amount of loot they acquire, the demand for players to buy that loot for their alts, and the demand for players to purchase their power leveling services.
  3. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Lets be clear, legacy exp is 10% right now per maxed character. Which is basically not noticeable in EQ, leveling 8 characters to max on an account would still take 76% of the time that leveling them without the system would take. A more reasonable 4 characters doesn't even reach a 13% effective bonus. They could crank it up to 50%-100% and it would be a nice noticeable bonus for using alts on a TLP (36% for four characters at 50%, 48% for four at 100%). As it is now it's a feature that highlights what they want to do but does nothing to actually help.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

As someone who struggles at times to keep up with 1 char during winter due to working away, this will just mean I level even slower than others creating yet another alt.
    Kuldiin likes this.
  5. Zrender Augur

Agreed. They should make it 20% per at least.
  6. Captain Video Augur

It's a perk. It's not intended to make it easy mode for levelling several alts on one account. Because of that, the 10% is fine. What most people on this forum are ignoring is how the alt XP bonus is only a small part of the evolving ruleset bonuses. You're going to get a game-wide XP bonus of 25% above Live servers when this TLP hits SoD, and 50% above Live when it hits TBM, which is a big deal to everyone who is serious about playing the game that far. You're also getting AA XP bonuses, spawn bonuses, loot bonuses, faction bonuses, AC (alternate currency) bonuses, TS bonuses, and I'm sure something else I've forgotten. These aren't holiday promotions either, it's all permanent. They're giving away a lot more than what's in the Mischief ruleset, with the expectation this new system will line up much better with the accelerated unlock schedule. But, because it's not exactly the same as the Mischief ruleset, and because you have to play farther along than the typical re-roller quitting time to get the biggest benefits, it's being trashed pre-launch by the "Mischief 2.0 or die" crowd. Don't fall into that trap.
    Fallfyres, Tarvas and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  7. Zrender Augur

Good point. I had forgotten about the evolving xp bonus. Assuming they patch out any FTE exploits on test, I think it's going to be a really fun server.
  8. Until We Felt Red Augur

95% of the server population will be gone by SoD. As someone mentioned above, this perk is a step in the right direction, but it's not going to help the intended audience as the bonus is too low to make a difference for those who really need the help catching up.
  9. Magneress Augur

I think the legacy bonuses really only will come into play later on in the servers life or whenever it reaches live.

As a casual. Servers are already always top heavy. By the time I can really play.

A server with fast exp and no phs and a 100% rare drop rate with a slow unlock cycle would be better for someone like me. Call it the EZ server or lore server... cut out the time sink and gambling aspect of the game or at least minimize it.

I have played EQ on and off for 24 years. Been subbed to live for like 14 of those years. And the only epics I've done where 1.0 and 1.5 cleric and Gates of Discord raiding during PoR through TSS with a tiny bit of PoP and Luclin raiding without getting loot (was in the army). Most of my characters had a smattering of random 1 groups or solo gear either from the AH or guildies.

It's frankly unhealthy and dangerous to try and be on the bleeding edge of expansions and server unlocks without cheating or without a static group of friends. And that's sorta ok. We should have friends and a stable community. And real ppl should play. Most servers should be focused around that.

For ppl like me tho. We really missed out on 20 years of content because we could only play sporadically for a few hours and had to take months long breaks from the game. These are the reasons I went to wow and other more static servers.

I'm coming back in hopes that I can ride along with oakwynd and down the road alts will be less painful because I want to see the game after DoDH. 80% of my time in game is still solo because I really can't commit to groups. And I personally don't enjoy boxing. So the bonuses will help a lot down the road even if I just have one solo main and a smattering of alts.
    Fallfyres and Zrender like this.
  10. Captain Video Augur

95%? Not even close to true for either Mangler or Aradune, and not expected to be true for Mischief when it gets there. In any case, the whole point of the evolving ruleset is to further help retain players in that era. If you need to catch up, it's going to be your main that's behind, and an alt XP bonus of any amount won't help you with that. The main XP bonus at SoD will help you a lot more, as will the arrival of the Overseer.
    Zrender likes this.
  11. Wtfagain Elder

Legacy XP benefits the big RMTers which is why it’s happening I assume. RMTGUY_01 will have an account with 10 warriors on it and will have one in every raiding guild, sucking up all your CoF, Cobalt, epics etc.

It blows my mind the same crowd that wants the game to be more casual and less time intensive think they’re the target audience for legacy Xp. If you don’t have time to play one character how are you going to max out multiple? It’s not for you it’s for the RMTers so they don’t have to use so many krono a month on extra accounts.
    pipedreams3 likes this.
  12. Until We Felt Red Augur

The time for leveling a core group of characters is pre-PoP. The amount of new players is reduced to a trickle after PoP. SoD is at least 2 years from server start and we'll have 2-4 more TLP servers by then. Mischief is the only one that will have a shot at retaining their population that late, as they have the best ruleset by a country mile. If you think casuals are going to stick around until SoD for a 25% xp buff, I don't know what to tell you but that ain't happenin'.
  13. wade_watts Augur

Yeah, for sure. I'm interested to see who these people are that are enticed to play EQ for 8 more weeks to get 25% more faciton or a 15% reduction in spawn times. Clearly seems to be a gimmick to get people to keep playing - these minor gains to an otherwise unchanged system aren't going to be keeping people around.
  14. Captain Video Augur

Players are able to level from 1-85 on Live servers with no difficulty whatsover. There are 10 guilds raiding on Aradune in SoD (85) right now. There are 8 guilds raiding on Mangler (105) right now. Did they all start in Classic? Why would that even matter to you? At SoD on Oakwynd you'll be getting XP at 25% above Live, and you'll also be getting separately a significant AA XP bonus. You'll have mercs and the Overseer. And if that isn't good/fast enough, you'll have the option to BUY a level 85 Heroic from DPG, they even cut the prices on those when the level 100 Heroics rolled out, so they're significantly cheaper than bying a PL for Krono in-game, and they come with all the AAs you'd need to compete at that level. There is, of course, one other option:

Git gud.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Zrender Augur

Account subs are NOT a major factor in RMT. A single raid more than pays for subs for the entire raid force. In some cases a single item. And leveling many accounts at once is far easier than having them on the same account. The legacy bonus and pretty much the entire oakwynd ruleset is absolutely for single account altaholics. DPG knows exactly how many people love to alt, it's right there in the number and level of chars people have. The only RMTers it could substantially help are PLers because there will be increased alts, though even that is uncertain because the xp bonuses start stacking up making it less valued, also there's uncertainty about how FTE could work against it.