Raid Advice - Dance of the Demiurge

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Windance Augur

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q1: Malthshisku - Do you bane him?

At 80% he starts changing color. Red -> Green -> Purple -> Yellow -> Red.

Do the colors matter?

Should we be hitting him with banes?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for tricks to help with this raid. Best we've done is 30% before enrage.

I expect the answer is purely lack of DPS.

We are following the information from Freelance ( great write up )

We are using rangers / enchanters to do banes. We've setup GINA triggers to announce success and generally we're able to get the white con adds banned with in 6s of them going active so we're not wasting dps on them.

FYI: We are one of the oldest guilds in EQ. Formed in 2003. Some of the members have been in the guild for 20 years. We've got great people, but, some are no longer able to max spam any where near there class max potential.

I expect the answer is: Sorry we need to bench the 6-9 low performing people and replace them with high performance boxed characters, since recruiting new/returned players has pretty much stalled out over the last year or so.

Really don't want to tell these long term players they need to get gud or sit.
  2. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I don't think we worry about banes on Malth himself, just the adds/minis (I could be wrong on that though). We do assign specific people to each bane, but also tell people with the proper banes to try. Getting the adds baned ASAP is a huge time saver.

The event is kind of a mix of controlled DPS but also solid consistent DPS. Big burn point is when Malth goes inactive and the waves of weirdly named mobs spawn, for us.

This is the parse from our most recent run on this:
    [IMG]
  3. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

If you bench the lowest 6 DPS, don't replace them; the reduced lag from fewer players will probably boost your DPS race vs the enrage timer more than the extra people.
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

What does enrage do? I feel like we saw enrage messaging when doing the 16 adds achievement at least once, but I didn't really see anything happen?
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

I dont think you can bane him. Ive tried and not got anything out of it. IDK why he changes color.
  6. Tadenea Augur

I believe his color shows what spells he will be casting (cant confirm though)
    overall not worth worrying about
  7. Windance Augur

From what I've seen based on our runs vs you tube videos from other guilds:

Normal: Boss < 50%
    - 1x Blob
    - 2x timed white cons - one of which is fake

Enrage:
    +1 yellow con at the 30 min mark.
    + the timed 2x white con adds become 2x yellow con adds.
  8. Swiss Augur

Are you able to post a parse to give an idea of how far off you are? can block out names etc. or at least total raid dps.

Look into the best ADPS group set ups for your dps can make a difference if they are not already in one. Group coordination can really boost dps for certain classes.

Druids and Shamans can do DPS if they aren't currently.

Some people will hold burns the entire fight instead of using them 3x so consider checking parses for that.

There are usually some good AE spots in this raid depending on how you push the 100-80 and if you keep up on the add waves later so encourage DPS to use their AE when it is beneficial.

The lowest raid dps I see for my alt on open raids was 20m~ if that helps as a target, you may have enough and just not timing or surviving rough spots.
  9. Ashigaru Augur

Agree with all the advice above

Using banes on the adds makes a considerable difference

Another thing to think about is your heavy dotters - where it's not going to otherwise cripple their DPS, encourage them to use their best dots on all the adds, rather than just following the MA.
  10. Windance Augur

Combined (59): Energetic Mass in 2037s, 33.18B Damage @16.29M

That was from our best run which got him to 30%.

Instructions:
    - Keep all burns down and in sync with group ADPS
    - At about 60% - hold all 10+ min burns for 50% wave
    - At 50% use everything you have.

There were 12 deaths prior to enrage. 3x tanks, 5x heals, 3x ADPS, 2x DPS. No major death wave.

Overall the run was smooth. We spawned/picked/and bane'd the adds with out stalling DPS.

As I said in the first thread the options are:

1 - See if there are any tricks.
    2 - Tell the folks who parse under 60% of their class max to "get gud" or sit.

Generally we're too nice and don't want to bench people who have been raiding in the guild for 15+ years just because they can't hit buttons fast.
  11. Maui New Member

if you got to 30% and adds were controlled/dead you should be able to win. on last phase of boss when he is active we burn him down and let him eat adds. Other then the blob/god adds that pop thats usually easiest section. The add waves at 51 were our hardest part.
  12. Maui New Member

13. strongbus Augur

i am a member of op guild. one thing we do need to figure out is how to keep going. yes we did that dps op posted on the 1st mob. but by the time we get down to bout 30% we running out of steam. for example I play a bst. I use a lineup I got form a upper raiding guild. I can put out some nice dps but by the time we get to the 20 - 25 min mark even with mod rods group para and single para i am sitting close to oom and having issues keeping up the dps.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

One of the things to determine is which mobs you want to burn on and which ones you don't want to burn on to maximum your DPS where it will do the most good.
  15. Syylke_EMarr Augur

One thing we'll do is keep necros and dotting classes on Malth, and sometimes other casters, while the rest clear out adds as they pop. Obviously they can dot the adds and such, but their focus is left on Malth to keep his health progressing down so there's less "waiting" time.

Obviously this will depend on your specific raid makeup, but the idea is to keep a select group of good DPSers on Malth to keep the event progressing while the bulk of the DPS keeps adds down so you don't get overwhelmed.
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

Yea its often helpful to keep long dotters on the main target so their dots arent wasted when adds die too quickly to make full use of their dots. Just as long as the adds are dying quick enough to not get overwhelmed.
  17. Annastasya Augur

In events like this where there is a lot of "high sustained dps" as a kind of gatekeeper, but also spots where you want to full on burn, it's essential to keep your ADPS stuff on tight rotation. If your rangers and beastlords (and ? bards and zerkers? im not 100% on all the stacking stuff) are not coordinated and overlap their not-helpful-to-stack abilities, you could miss out on a good amount of fully uptime damage going out. So, be sure to do that. And all the other good advice in this thread.
    Svann2 likes this.
  18. Rules New Member

we hit this same issue as you, we were getting to ~30% hitting enrage and then fighting for 12 more mins trying to overcome the adds. (we couldn't overcome the adds, they would eventually overwhelm us)

we ended up beating it by just off tanking the penalty adds and just killing % based adds.. we were at 15.5m dps and were able to win.
    when Boss died we had 11 penalty adds and I think 1 penalty god.
    we thought it would lock if the blob/god was up so switched to those. it evidently doesn't because as we were getting overwhelmed we decided to just push boss and got it.

The things we ended up on:
    Burned from start and continual.
    Necro's multi dotted across all mobs being killed
    next time we are going to ignore all but % based adds and just off tank the rest.
  19. Knifen Augur

It might be diff for caster burns and how long they refresh but I follow your method as well for melee/rogues at least

ABB
    Always
    Be
    Burning.

If its up burn.
  20. strongbus Augur

i though it locked at 2% if adds are up or is that just the adds the boss spawns and not the rest?
    and he eats adds if under 10% and heals back to 12%. how much time do you have to kill him before he eats a mob and heals?