How to buy daybreak cash etc?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by coffee349, Apr 17, 2023.

1. demi Augur

as was mentioned above paypal is good and you can set up your debit card thru paypal and then use paypal to pay via DB cash ..

I'm not in Europe and never visited there so not sure about gift cards there.. but no matter where you buy online you'll need to enter your debit card over the internet to purchase a online gift card to use for DB cash ..

if you can walk into a walmart (im assuming they have walmart in Europe ? ) dont they have a kiosk where they have lots of different gift cards for sale Visa/MC gift cards ? that you can pay cash for or use your Debit card to pay for them at a brick and mortar place ..
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Again what about Steam Wallet?

and the gift cards I mentioned as being online and available for any one who has access to the internet are not the game gift cards but plain ole visa or master card gift cards. Stay away from Discover and Am Express and they get funky when using them online sometimes
  3. demi Augur

aye , but even trying to buy online visa/mc prepaid gift cards would require him to enter his debit card online which is something I take it he does not want to do ..

even setting up a paypal account to use his debit card would require him to enter his debit card info online ..

his only option is to walk into a brick and mortar store and buy a prepaid gift card visa/mc and use that . however he is telling me that he lives in Europe and they dont have visa/mc gift cards in their stores there ?
    In North America they are everywhere..

only other option is to have a friend or his relative , husband,wife whoever..purchase the DB cash or visa/mc gift card online for him and he just gives them the cash ..
  4. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

All I can say is what the statistics say leaven with my own personal observations and experiences.

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/people_with_credit_cards/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/675371/ownership-of-credit-cards-globally-by-country/

Contactless payment is seems to be everywhere. While my understanding of it may be flawed, I thought debit required something you have (the card) and something you know (the pin). In my observations regardless of whether it is by card, watch, or phone a pin is never entered.

Interesting conversation.

I know Kakashii is busy trying to figure out how to get Coirnav's Eastern Coalition Asian-Pacific members NoS. I think he gonna fly to the US and buy it for everyone.
    Kakashi77 likes this.
  5. Strawberry Augur

European banks issue Debit Cards all the time, that's how most people access their bank account and pay for things. (although smartphone payment solutions and electronic ID systems are increasingly popular too)

But these cards don't generally use VISA.

Instead, the systems that handle the money transfer for the banks are local.

Examples are Giropay, iDeal, Bancontact, etc.

These systems operate within the SEPA region (Single Euro Payments Area), but they work very well outside of it too, it just costs a very small fee when you move outside of the SEPA zone (the fee is usually tiny, much less than VISA). The SEPA region is of course well integrated with the SWIFT system.

Europe also uses the 4-digit PIN codes with all debit cards. So debit cards are extremely safe. If someone steals your card, they can't do anything with it without the code. (it's still a good idea to immediately tell the bank to block the account).

If you want an actual VISA card, you need to ask the bank for a credit card. But European banks are very relucant to issue those, since they're liabilities for them. If you can show you have a high income, and have been a member of the bank for a long time, you can get one. But otherwise most European banks won't issue VISA cards. Racking up credit card debt is a big no-no in Europe, they won't allow that.

Tourists sometimes argue that you can get by with just your VISA card and some cash in Europe. Well, it depends. During short vacations, it's usually fine. Your hotel and nearby restaurant will of course accept VISA, since they are tourist oriented. But if you actually plan to stay in Europe for a few months or longer, you'll notice credit cards aren't accepted everywhere. Not to mention those expensive VISA fees will start to rack up fast.

Relying too much on cash is a really bad idea too because you make yourself into a target for criminals. If people see you pay with cash all the time, someone is going to follow you to that ATM one day.

Instead, you should really look into getting a local debit card or ask if you can pay with your smartphone.

Any business with customers in Europe should at least understand the basics of SEPA, how it works, and have some basic understanding of systems like Giropay, iDeal, Bancontact etc.

[IMG]
  6. demi Augur

the Euro is just the currency used in those area's .. if Europeans are paying with credit card they are still using Euro's to pay only the CC company is paying it for them. im sure if you did the same thing in the North America's you would find a similar graph showing the US dollar as its currency .
    I think more countries use CC as form of payment than you like to think.. maybe you dont and im sure there are quit a few who dont like the CC fee's and choose not to use it .. but to say that Europeans the majority of them do not and throw up a chart that only shows Euro as the majority of currency doesnt mean anything..

here is a site from a google search i did .. from this graph it sure looks like a whole lot of Europeans use charge cards ..

https://www.statista.com/statistics/968220/credit-card-ownership-rate-european-countries/#:~:text=Using a credit card allows,compared to the debit card.

here is a snippet from site

Two horse race

In Europe, there are two main credit card providers. Between Visa and Mastercard they make up over 90 percent of the purchase volume market share across Europe. In total, there are over 810 million payment cards across the continent.

Credit card transaction value

When it comes to usage, there is one European country that is far more excepting of getting out the credit card. In 2017, the United Kingdom saw more than 190 billion euros in credit card transactions. This was more than six time the amount spent in France.
    Nennius and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

All of this aside. Can we all agree that more options for secure payment to play this game would be a good thing? Like several others here, I don't live or work in Europe. Using a credit card works quite well for me in the USA. But, if other secure methods of payment can made available elsewhere than I see that as a good thing.

In that vein, are debit cards as used in the Eurozone somehow less secure than credit cards? I have a debit card that I haven't touched in years. Or at least since before COVID. Am I missing out on something good?
  8. Strawberry Augur

Once more.

VISA and Mastercard are not the main providers of transactions in Europe.

Credit card in Europe is much much lower than Debit Card use in Europe. Period. That's not up for debate.

Most people in Europe do not have VISA cards. Period. That is also not up for debate.

You're free to believe alternative truths, but those are the facts.

Instead, the popular payment providers in Europe are Giropay, iDeal, Bancontact, etc. They follow SEPA zone standards supported by the ECB.

And these systems use debit and online pay. The back-end is done with SWIFT in Brussels.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What evidence do you have for this statement? Most travel websites advise that both VISA and Mastercard are widely accepted in Europe which would also suggest that they are used as well. Companies are not going to pay to accept a card type if no one is using them.
  10. Strawberry Augur

Debit in Europe is very safe due to the 4-digit PIN and RFID system.

In the US you can get debit cards without PIN identification, and those systems are unsafe.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can also get them with a pin so I am not sure what your point is. And even if your debit card gets stolen you can still be protected from loss.
    Rijacki likes this.
  12. Strawberry Augur

That's entirely correct.

The European tourism sectors wildly accepts VISA and UnionPay (china).

But that doesn't mean Europeans run around with VISA cards, they certainly do not, people use debit and smartphones.

And if you stay for longer in Europe (a student for example), VISA and cash are a very poor way to pay for things. VISA is not widly accepted outside of the tourism industry, and taking out cash at ATM is dangerous.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

All I have seen is claims that they don't use credit cards with nothing showing that is the case.
  14. Strawberry Augur

This is data from the World Bank, which got it from the ECB. (The PDF with the full data is on the ECB's site)

The overwheling majority of people in Europe do not have a credit card, especially not those in the Eurozone and within SEPA.

Among young people the number is incredibly low.

And if you're going to doubt the ECB's figures....then you're just arguing for argument's sake, which you do a lot.

[IMG]
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Posting a picture with no source is supposed to be evidence?
  16. Strawberry Augur

Here is the source for that image. The data is from the World Bank.

https://tcdata360.worldbank.org/ind...ars=2011,2017&indicators=944&compareBy=region

There is a PDF also with that data on the ECB site if you look for it.

Last reply to you, you're arguing to argue like you alway do. I could ask Lagarde from the ECB to explain it to you and you would probably argue she is wrong. You're that unbelievably stubborn, you're lucky your guild puts up with that, I don't.
  17. demi Augur

thats funny i cant even view that site unless i agree to there cookie policy .which i dont plan todo .
  18. Strawberry Augur

I'm pretty sure the site of the World Bank is safe.

Almost every site in Europe has a cookie policy, the EU cookie wall.

Welcome to the internet I guess.
    Nennius likes this.
  19. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You say "no one" has a CC... yet many countries in Europe are 50%+. Mind boggling.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon