EverQuest Producer’s Letter April 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Murdukethegreat New Member

Amen to this. I tried my best to come back and play on FV. I only made it to mid 90s and that was with my friends powerleveling the hell out of me.

Maybe a massive exp cruntch for the 70 to 5 levels under whatever the max could be a better solution. Trust me i didnt have any fun being PLd
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Komodon Augur

Not only that though, but my partial implied point before was that a lot of the outrage going on seems to have a very disingenuous element to it in itself. At least once anybody takes a moment to again consider the fact that there being a notable amount more grumbling about a move away from DPS racing shouldn't be surprising to anybody here, much less Daybreak. As FTE is essentially taking something very meaningful away from the mega zerg guild playstyle and OW bigger box farm guys. Who are all super heavily invested into the DPS racing meta, and which doesn't just amount to an insignificant amount of people or posting accounts. I mean we are talking about players and the typical crowds drawn to the appeal points of that playstyle who you would rationally expect to voice their displease over something like that as loud and as often as they could. Which in all reality they rightfully should be from a strictly their own best interests as a player pov.

Yet....an actual direct acknowledgement to that very prevalent con factor in all this for them is practically no where to been seen or represented in these endless amount of rage out posts. Which if all of this backlash to that announcement was actually 100% upfront with their concerns certainly wouldn't be the case. So because of that you are almost forced to be left questioning a lot of what you see and read. Which also involves people clearly logging in to alt accounts to pile on their voiced displeasure, and continually throwing up hyperbolic concern examples they likely don't actually care about but which simply make for much better surface placeholders then directly voicing the underlining concerns Daybreak was already obviously willing to sacrifice up by default with the FTE ruleset.

It's just all super muddy right now imo separating the actual valid concerns people should indeed have with how the FTE ruleset would work, and a lot of what essentially amounts to sour grapes over the personal gain loss aspect. I mean is the guy I spent yesterday debating about the pros and cons of no powerleveling really 100+ posts of fairly inconsistent logic in because he was really *that* concerned about supposedly not being able to dps out of group for his friend, or was I simply wasting my time trying to debate somebody who in reality is just indirectly raging out that their plan of selling full time PLs in the Deep just got compromised? Meh
  3. Lamberduim Lorekeeper

I said it before I'll say it again. I'm pretty sure most people really don't care about FTE rules 1 way or the other. Most of the outrage seems to be coming from krono/power levelers. Zerg guild and boxers. and ((I fall in this camp)) are upset with the ruleset. This is 2 years in a row now with no mischief rules. Pandora box was opened with Mischief and that's going to have to be the new norm ruleset or at least every other year, people love it.

I guess some people are mad that they are testing things on a TLP Server instead of the test server, which I can get behind as well.
  4. Soldrin New Member

This is just my idea but I wondered why they don't do a regressive xp bonus that gradually decreases the higher level a character gets. Set it to release at a certain extension and have the base % increase as further extensions with level caps increases.
  5. Tappin Augur

Are they rage posts bro, or are people speaking from experience? FTE is broken out of box and isn't going to fix anything suggested in this thread. It doesn't stop PL and It doesn't stop griefing. If implemented correctly, it would slow down direct training (soo many other ways to train people). If people would give up the social norm of camps, then maybe it would help with CS tickets. As I have already stated, FTE is broken out of the box, and is going require more changes (we call those nerfs). So even if FTE is only on TLP (I have a better chance at winning the lotto), live will still have to endure all the other nerfs. It's completely ridiculous to completely change the way EQ is played 2.5 decades after launch for some half- implementation of a concept stolen from EQ2.
    Lynada and Yinla like this.
  6. code-zero Augur

I am curious, exactly how do you propose that trains can even exist given the locked until after a return home, reset then unlock?

FTE isn't broken out of the box because the box is still on a truck somewhere outside of Albuquerque NM and isn't scheduled to arrive until the end of May.

I have questions and all my concerns revolve around FTE working EXACTLY as described and not in some sort of bizarre fantasy about unspecified new exploits
  7. Lamberduim Lorekeeper

What?
  8. Tappin Augur

You're so close to answering your own question - but I'll let someone else figure it out. FTE is an experiment just like they DESCRIBED - They are using a paid service to beta test their precious FTE before it's launched on live (So they can plug in the holes).
  9. code-zero Augur

Oh no, not even close.

Here's one question that I have. I park a mob with a mezz that has a memblur component. No problem nowadays if memblur pops then the mezz breaks I can hit it again. With FTE will the memmblurred mob head home if mezz drops and leave me to have to follow it all the way back there and wait for it to reset and unlock just so I can get the mob I'd already pulled once? If the answer is that it's still locked to me and my group there's no problem then but I don't know that yet. However instead of any sort of productive questions being asked by others around here all I see are wild accusations, misinformation and mystery exploits being tossed around.
  10. Braelvenae Lorekeeper

I assume you would have 15 seconds to reengage the memblurred mob like the 15 second window Ngreth posted about regarding FD on monks in Discord like day 1 this whole thing dropped. There are numberous problems with the 15 second window for FD, but if it isn't instant reset on memblur that is fine for bards/enchanters most of the time I imagine.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

DPG should provide no further information except to state you may play on the server to discover the magics.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Enough with the FTE discussion can we please move on to the other aspects of this server

The time line is always under discussion on the TLP forums and the above from Chanaluss pretty much sums up the feeling of what the timeline should be.

Legacy Chars adjustments suggestions have been
    1. Remove the event lockouts to per char not per account
    2. Improve the bonus and reduce the number of chars to max out the bonus
    3. Link accounts so alts on other accounts count toward the number of chars at max level
    4. Instead of accounts link the bonus to a fellowship

Other Suggestions for the server

Heirloom loot, this seems to fit with the theme of the server or add Free Trade loot.
  13. Crashdummy Elder

Am pretty certain I said it before Free trade exists on FV, and Mischief and Thornblade (each of those just 2 years old) and a number of complaints are that there was not a new FT server last year or this year. No idea why people want to repeat endlessly the same thing over and over. Sure get an idea what the TLP folk like in server rule sets and cycle through them every so many years, but also try out some variety. I spent a few weeks on Thornblade, and left, since it was a rinse repeat of my time on FV, went to Vaniki last year and spent most of my time there as it has been so different and quite a blast, but, have got to get back to my main server to prepare for new Expansion. While I have no plans to play much on the Oakwynd, as a guildie source it is important that I spend a few weeks at least getting the feel for the adjusted rule set (bonuses are just that) FTE is important to gauge in its effect. My thinking is that maybe a 4 or 5 year cycle, of 2 servers TLP, with Free Trade, PVP, Challenge, Experimental, and maybe some other option, being one choice and a basically standard rule set each year. Nothing wrong with living horse and buggy if that is what the paying people want, but, it is always good to test out some new things. Knowing that the top raid guilds progress rapidly and some of them likely carry on charity work via open raids for us less driven players, that still leaves some raiders playing on TLP just for fun. Which is part of the deal for us players and hopefully for the management as well, along with being an often less contentious social platform for friends and guild members. Most of us can not have everything we want all of the time, but, we can try to get along and test out some new things. I look forward to spending some time on the new server, in part it is a ton cheaper than a vacation anywhere, lol.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

Meh. If its as unpopular as some claim then no one will roll on that TLP and they will abandon the idea. Its too late to make them not even try it, so what do you think you are accomplishing by posting against it over and over and over and over? Waste of breath.
    Cadira likes this.
  15. gunstar Apprentice

Stuff like this is insane to me. "OMG it took forever for me to reach a massive level cap that on Live was spaced out over years and years of playtime."

It SHOULD take you years to hit a 100+ level cap. That's the point of levels. Does everyone who plays this game just want easy-mode insta cap? What the hell happened?

"I want to raid with my friends!"

If they're real friends they'll make alts to level up along with you the real way. What else are they gonna do when they aren't raiding?
    Vazz likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The game should be designed to help new players catch up to the existing player base and not require help from higher level players in order to catch up. If you look at other games on the market they make it much easier for players to catch up to where the population is at.
    Barraind likes this.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

You had it easy mode if you played when people were actively grouping in those zone/levels.
    EASY MODE
  18. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Some people like to do the content they're paying to do with their friends.

Its why FF14 had to re-design their leveling process multiple times AND decided it is imperative to have a completely new system as a catchup mechanic for their next expansion. Turns out when you tell people they cant do stuff with their friends for months (or more) people go play games where they can do that.

I dont like picking up a game and making my friends have to abandon all their own personal progression so that at some point,, months or years later, I may be able to do things with them. And anyone who thinks thats a perfectly fine solution isnt really worth listening to.

You dont get people to play games by telling them they're never going to be doing current era content before the game stops existing. Thats just mindless nonsense.
    Fishpoke, kizant and Go Take A Nap like this.
  19. Tappin Augur

Leave live the way it is. We don't need nerfs (like FTE) and some gimmick catch up mechanics added to the game. The community on live has always been on helping players out. This game has always been about forming relationships with others.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Based on the FAQ that was released FTE is designed to address issues during the early expansions on TLP servers and would serve no purpose on live servers which suggests it is not going to be enabled on them.
    PCSS likes this.