Oakwynd Information and FAQ

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Khanfu Elder

Amen. Semi unlock? this will be exploited in so many ways within a week.
    I also think the encounter locking may spawn all new 3rd party programs to exploit it once its figured out. I wish them luck, they are going to need it. People that want to cheat are going to find a way. ANYTHING implement in ANY game to counter the actions of "cheaters" or "griefers" only limits the honest players.. the targeted group of the implementations will just find another way. If anyone believes different you are kidding yourself.
  2. Sabra Lorekeeper

Just out of curiosity, why is a horrid idea.
  3. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I haven't played as many TLP's as some claim to.. but I don't even see why it needs such a "fix" in early EQ. There are a dozen (or fewer) "hot spots" in early EQ. Places like SolA/SolB, LGuk, Runyeye, Crushbone maybe? RoK brings in Old Seb &Chardok, maybe HS and the 2 NPC's for the HS key. (VP keying being a whole different ball of wax) Isn't much in Luclin aside from VP key pieces now that Research and silk bridles are nerfed. Maybe a few unique item droppers etc..

When I decided to actually put forth the effort into a progression server, I ran into no issues of training or kill stealing. I take that back, there was a Mage auto pet target sniping nameds in Runnyeye. So I left. I stayed out of the places I KNEW would harbor people with this behavioral issue. Just like in 99-01, there's no reason to go ape over some pixels. 15+ years later, when on a Prog server, I already knew the real truth of it all. It isn't even worth the typing to complain. The gear won't matter, the headache isn't worth it. Just move on. By Velious, you could get a full set of class armor upgrading from Bronze or Banded.. that OG stuff for +2 STR or +3 AGI isn't making a lick of difference. If you're a raider, definitely none of it matters... With AoC's now, All the melee's should have their CoF, all the casters with their WDSC..

There's literally not enough time in Classic to Kunark to Velious to be worth any player's hassle to get. it all gets replaced by better, and it isn't until expansion releases slow down that the reward is worth the effort.

Oh I forgot "epics in era!" Yeah, it's cool and all, but the few epics that have bottlenecks have well known camping "issues" and can be handled by increased monitoring. It's literally a few weeks per year. Want to cut down CS tickets? Reduce the rarity for those NPC's to spawn, or just get rid of the PH all together. It's not 1999/2000 and Epic quests being barely known about. Everyone has a walkthrough, a checklist, a "skip all this part" notes. There's no "challenge" to getting them, just artificial timer delays and PH to named ratio.
  4. Komodon Augur

Or....your perception that it's "everyobody" and what data points actually matter is based entirely on a smaller subsection of adults playing eq that would actually collectively sit around this message board making 100s of posts kicking and screaming about about not getting the same thing you want and agree with...and is just plain wrong?

I mean by default and considering who actually has the most to lose here by a mile, that would be the more logical assumption of the 2.
  5. Khanfu Elder

I have a lot of questions about /yell

Does this allow someone to pull and ask for assistance yet still get full loot rights and exp? that can be exploited in too many ways. you can actually have a group PL a single player solo with ease. This can also be exploited in raids as well. Do the "helpers" gain aggro? can they taunt the mob but not steal exp? can they heal but not gain aggro?

it just seems like a quick fix to an obvious oversight in the original plan. They are trying to allow somone to be "healed" or "assisted". In my eyes they totally forgot about the SOCIAL part of the MMO. Unforgivable... now they want to add a quick fix that I fear will cause more problems than they foresee

I don't see in any implementation of encounter locking makes EQ a more SOCIAL game. In fact its quite the opposite.. it makes the "my camp" mentality even worse... if you don't get the tag you cant even fight back. Your helpless. People always boast about EQ being great because its a SOCIAL game.... this is a step in the wrong direction.

edit** The more I think about it open tagging in open world is a much better option to improve the social aspect of EQ. Id much rather be welcomed when I went to check a spawn than told "CAMPED"... wouldnt you rather been seen as help than hinderance. We are talking about mechanics that are built into the game to make it anti social.
  6. Gemstoner Elder

Yeah its pretty clear they are saving the random loot free trade Mischief clone for the 25th anniversary given how popular its proven to be. We might as well give up trying to wish it into being this year.
  7. Kunfo Augur

in other words, encounter locking is what we thought it was. Guess I'm done with EQ, sadly enough
  8. Zansobar Augur

I really doubt we will get one next year if they haven't listened to all masses of people asking for Mischief 2.0 this year.
  9. Sabra Lorekeeper

It's just so hard to say it could go either way. I want to say they play tested this and it is achieving their goal of mitigating training, right? I guess we'll find out soon enough...

LOL I hate it when people say "CAMPED". I'm like dude chill out I'm just passing through. At least now I can pass through and OOPS tag !!!
    Khanfu likes this.
  10. Prayer New Member

It bears repeating, and I'm sorry if I'm breaking a rule but with the sheer amount of comments in this thread I'm willing to ask again, if you are going to push alt creation Please Please Please make a /raidsplit <Coin Amount> command into the game. If people are going to have alts on this server it is going to be a nightmare to manage parceling plat to people after a plat raid after consulting spreadsheets using multiple DKP dumps.

This is a non controversial change, everyone who has to manage this type of play will be thankful, it's a free win for daybreak and the players. I understand it's hard to strike a compromise with a divided player base but this is a free win for everyone. Not only will it help guilds function better on this type of server but is will also allow for PUG raids to split plat properly without any sort of issue and bring the community together.

Please, read this post and at least consider it.
    Khanfu likes this.
  11. CleverName New Member

you are confusing my opinion with their data.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Just because they don't do what you ask for doesn't mean that they are not listening to you.
    Rijacki likes this.
  13. Trox2010 Augur

In the FAQ they already said /yell unlocks the encounter so that it becomes a DPS race at that point; whoever does the most damage gets the XP and loot.

Still exploitable and doesn't actually fix the issue with training that FTE is supposed to address.
    Khanfu likes this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Will Oakwynd still get event bonuses when other servers do, on top of the bonus they already have?
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  15. Gardolar New Member

This will be the first TLP i do not play on, we do not need encounter locks and this is the worst idea you have put into this game since PVP servers.
    WeCameWeConquered likes this.
  16. Falconz New Member

I'm sure this suggestion has been mentioned multiple times in this thread. IF mob-lock must be implemented, at the very most make it only for Rare/Named NPC's.

I don't see any wide-scaled reason to mob-lock normal mobs. This will heavily interfere with original mechanics of the game.

On a side note, here's a scenario I see being a problem: Intentional training will easily be bypassed.
    Person A locks a named and starts fighting it. Person B wants the named. Person B locks a bunch of mobs and commences a huge intentional train on Person A. Person B now gates. All those trained mobs will unlock and re-lock to Person A since they're nearby.

Person A dies, mob/named gets unlocked. Person B zones back in and takes named. Or Person B has somebody already in zone ready to lock the named.
    Sabra likes this.
  17. Synk56 New Member

Thank you for this, this is a great change. I would also ask you consider doing this for PoP/LDoN and DoDh\PoR. I'm sure if you look at server populations overtime these 3 expansion drops are where most TLP servers lose the majority of their players.

Expansions past PoR are really great but unfortunately almost everyone I know quits due to how painful the level 70 stretch is, ending with PoR which is probably the most painful expansion in the game in terms of timesink\reward.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think the goal of TLP servers is to have someone play on every single one of them.
    Conceal, Rijacki and Sabra like this.
  19. taliefer Augur

Will depths of darkhallow open 12 or 8 weeks after omens of war then? since there is that hour gap before DoN launches, I would hate to see DoDH in only 8 weeks. Omens deserves its full 12 weeks being a level cap increase expansion
  20. Khanfu Elder

Imagine this... I play a monk.
    We hit a zone and named is up. Others are camping the area. I blast in as a solo puller and aggro three areas past that group to grab a named. I cant train anyone... I pull back to your area and have a macro to /yell "target named", FD, you can solo out the named worry free. I pop back up and run away and go FD again in another area until lock drops. Easy game, easy life.. all these ideas can be abused..

EDIT** then others are going to say /yell should open all locks... now PL is alive and well. I don't think this is designed in any way to stop PL because it makes too much money for DBG.
    CleverName likes this.