How to buy daybreak cash etc?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by coffee349, Apr 17, 2023.

1. coffee349 Journeyman

Hello. This is a general information question (for a new and returning players) on how to purchase daybreak cash?

Before someone gets on here and says use a credit or debit card, visa or mastercard, let's please remember not everyone lives in North America who plays Everquest. Not everyone in North America has a Visa or Mastercard that they're willing to put online, for security reasons and of course there's lots of people under age 18 who also don't have a visa or mastercard.

The question is what alternative payments methods are there available?

Finally what about gift cards, can you give someone a prepaid gift card that can be used for Everquest? If so, where can you go to buy it?
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/218049437-Payment-options
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Strawberry Augur

That still only shows US payment methods.

I work for an international company, and one of the first problems we identified is that we lost a lot of customers by only using US payment systems.

In most countries banks don't offer VISA cards anymore, VISA payment methods are decreasing because of the high fees and because debit+PIN is way more secure.

A business offering only VISA/MasterCard comes over as quite unpleasant internationally.

It also tells potential customers that any problems that arise will be an international hassle too since they realise that company has no local presence in their country. It's a telltale sign to customers that you have no business selling goods there because you don't know what you're doing.

Most people are shocked when I tell them most people in Europe don't have a credit card. They have a debit card and a PIN code and they can use them everywhere within the SEPA zone. They don't have or want VISA/MasterCard because it will cost them $25-$30 a year and has extra fees for every transaction. Even if people go on a trip, they still reject VISA, because unlike VISA, there's no fees for a debit card inside SEPA, and the extra fee outside of the SEPA zone is only like $0,04 or something, it makes no sense to have a credit card, a debit card is way cheaper.

Debit card has way less fees, it is way more secure thanks to the PIN code system, and since it is a direct payment system you can't spend like a drunken sailor so people can't go into credit card debt. Outside of very special use cases, credit cards have become useless in Europe.

For example, if you sell in Western Europe, you should at the very least support direct debit card, SEPA, iDEAL, Bancontact, Giropay and EPS. If you only offer Visa/Mastercard you are going to lose 90% of your customers.

The reason the US still uses an outdated and less secure VISA system instead of debit+pin, is because VISA pressures US shops to use VISA. When people switch to debit+PIN, VISA loses their fees. In fact Wallmart sued Visa over their fees and because Visa tried to prevent people from using debit cards.

I don't know why Everquest has so few international players, but its focus on Visa/MasterCard is likely one of the reasons. No one is going to go through the trouble of getting a VISA card just to play 1 game, or access 1 service, they're just not going to bother at all.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

EG7 is a global conglomerate. Why haven't they moved all their IP to an international payment system?

Ask them.
    Nennius likes this.
  5. Bernel Augur

They do have prepaid credit cards. In addition to whatever is on the card, you have to pay a few extra dollars of fees when you buy it. I'm not sure if they are available in other countries. They should work like a regular credit card and allow you to buy DB cash. I have done so myself with a Visa gift card.

Due to the extra fees, it doesn't make sense to use them for small amounts. It would be better to do a one-time purchase of a card with a large balance and use it to pay for whatever credit card charges you need from time to time.
  6. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

Paypal accepts SEPA cards to be used for direct payment processing. It states it right on their page: https://www.paypal.com/be/webapps/mpp/directdebit

Direct payments are "free" (meaning no transaction fees) if there are no currency conversions involved. The DB store accepts PayPal. Would this work for you?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and CatsPaws like this.
  7. coffee349 Journeyman

Ok, that is what I thought.

I'm just going to have to quit Everquest because I can't get money into the account. Free-to-play at higher level is completely dysfunctional so as to not make it usable.

Antonius Bayle is the Everquest European server. This server is fading away because returning players like myself can't get money into the account, I had hoped someone from the professional Everquest staff would monitor these forums and provide payment information promptly to persons like myself (as it is in their mutual interest to do so).

What is the point in having a European server and not providing any European standard secure payment options with Giropay, pin, iDeal, Bancontact etc?

The competitors of Everquest have no problem in providing reasonable accessible payment methods to include their own in-house Gift Cards. Not just for your account but you could give to your friends so you can all game together!

Back in the day, (when Sony had it) Everquest offered SOE gift cards.

SOE gift cards were available everywhere, including game stores, online web shops, shopping centers, convenience stores, major department stores and gas stations, etc.

Please. Don't get me the wrong way. I think Everquest is a great game but you can't get money into the account very easily if you're overseas.

What is the point of the European Antonius Bayle server if you're going to make getting money into the account so difficult?

That's it for me, I don't see any other alterative except to quit. Maybe when Everquest offers their own gift cards again, persons like me will come back. Over the years, I can't see any evidence of that.

I feel I am going to have to turn the page on this one and move on.....

Just a short word of thanks for the people who posted. It just shows me in the player base, the community spirit in Everquest in helping people is still alive and well.
    Graag Baash likes this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Anyone can buy Krono, in game or "elsewhere" for the subscription part

Did you ask on your server how others are doing it? Assuming your on AB
  9. Shanarias Augur

Once again, Paypal. It is an option, and the only one I use for Everquest transactions involving "real" world funds.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  10. Kopop New Member

What country are you at that does not have any option for Visa/MC debit cards?

Most Eastern European banks (and Western as well) will happily issue debit cards with MC/Visa. I pay like 0.45 cents a month for mine - Swedbank (which covers most of Scandinavia and Baltics)

Those should work for DBG because debit cards *should* work when you have address:
    https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/218049537

Another option are pre-paid cards (sold at convenience stores) they also have MC or Visa markings and should have an option to add address.

Basically Daybreak wants some sort of address to go with your payment - for obvious reasons.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Nennius like this.
  11. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I must be living in a different Europe. There have been credit card payment options in every city and almost every town that I have visited. Normally, I'm digging for euro change before going into my local bakery. Sitting on the counter today was a credit card reader. Imagine my shock and delight when I bought one of everything.

*contactless payment seems to be making it move from big vendors to small as well.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Nennius like this.
  12. Strawberry Augur

Do you understand the difference between a debit and credit card? I don't think you do.

Most people in Europe do not have a credit card, and many European banks will refuse to issue one.

None of my friends in Europe still use credit cards, they all have debit+PIN. They have no credit card and don't want one. Credit cards means high fees, lack of security and chance of credit card debt.

That's why "credit card debt" is a US thing and much more rare in Europe, you don't pay with credit in Europe, you pay with money you actually own.

The chance someone under 30 in Europe has a VISA/Mastercard card, is about the same chance they have a cheque book. Extremely unlikely.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. Monkeychunks Augur

What kind of credit cards/gift card do they buy on line in other countries? I thought any one can go to like visa gift cards, buy one and use it ?
  14. coffee349 Journeyman

Hmm. Prepaid Visa gift cards aren't a thing over here.

They never have been and I dare say, they never will be either. If they're available at all, they must be as scarce as hen's teeth! This is a North American thing. People who live abroad don't think this way but the issue you missed is when Sony owned Everquest, you could get Sony Station Cash Prepaid Gift Cards everywhere.

You just bought the gift card, scratched the back of it and get a code. The problem is that is gone and in my view that is the problem.

You could give a gift card to anybody.

Yourself, a friend, your kid, etc. When you make paying for your product awkward, your subscription base declines and then you have server merger after server merger...

I don't understand. Why they continue to have the Antonius Bayle European server??

To be clear making payment isn't impossible. It doesn't have to be.

If it's awkward enough, people just get frustrated and drop out internationally. People turn the page and move on. Anyone who spent time living abroad would know that.

BTW competitors of Everquest however don't seem to have that problem.

In most European cities, you can even walk into any of the major chain game stores and find a huge array of prepaid game gift cards. They're also sold in department stores, gas stations and grocery stores at the check out line, etc., except you'll never find ones for Everquest. As I said previously that never used to be the case when Sony owned Everquest but we see those days are gone.

Please. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game and Daybreak is a good company but none of that does you any good if you can't pay for the game because you can't get money into the account...
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I still have some gift cards!! And they still work.

I think Chunkymonks meant why can't you buy gift cards on line and use them? The internet is world wide and they are on it for sale.

I am kinds curious myself, never having traveled over there. I would think you could just go to a gift card site and buy one.

AB is populated so some players are doing it somehow. Ask in chat?

Edit - are they using Steam maybe?
  16. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I would consult newer sources of information as credit card usage has increased. For instance, in Germany over 56% now have a credit card as of 2021. The number of people I have seen actually enter pins at the point of sale relatively low, though that can be function of how contactless payment works.
  17. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

You still didn't clarify if you use a SEPA debit card or not, and if PayPal is an option for you. I previously mentioned in a reply on this thread that PayPal can use SEPA for use as a direct payment method.
  18. Strawberry Augur

In Europe, credit card use has rapidly declined.

Debit Card use increased, surpassing cash.

A business operating in Europe, while only offering payments with credit cards, might as well close their doors at this point. Especially if your target audience is younger people, relying on VISA or Mastercard would be idiotic.

Mastercard claims that the decline of credit cards and increase in debit cards isn't such a big deal for them, because they claim you can "sneak in" a credit card because "it's also plastic". This is ridiculous baloney to soothe investors of course, since European banks are extremely reluctant to issue a credit card, since the issuer takes on debt, it is a liability for the bank.

Banks hate credit cards, each time they hand out one, they take on liability. They end up with a non-performing asset and have to take on debt. The absolute worst customer for a bank is a person opening an account and asking for a credit card. If they weren't too friendly when you opened an account, now you know why.

That's why European banks encourage you to use debit+PIN, not only does it remove the risk for the bank, it encourages sound finances for the client.

Even in the US the perception is changing. A recent survey showed younger people have a very negative view of Credit Cards. Why? Because they saw their parents rack up credit card debt and they don't want to go down the same route as their parents.

[IMG]
  19. Flatchy Court Jester

Dang I must be ahead of the pack here in America. I have been using my visa debit card forever and a day. Your banks dont issue those?
  20. demi Augur

alot of the younger generation are using their Iphones to pay .. with Apple pay .. Apple pay, uses credit cards via payment . not debit . so when someone uses their apple pay they are in fact using a credit card .. and everyone uses their phone to pay .. yes their are other ways to pay with phone via paypal or samsung or google pay .. but i work in retail grocery and i see it soo many times people using their phones for apple pay ( our chain does not have apple pay for this reason) and we have to tell them we do not accept apple pay due to the CC fee's apple pay charges.. this is in North america , but im guessing apple pay works the same globally