Enhancements to the Find Item window

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jedis, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Jedis Arch Mage

I use the Find Item window on a daily basis to find items across my characters and my accounts. There's a few enhancements to the window that would be super helpful:

1) Have it search the new tradeskill depot
    2) Add buttons on the window that will load, on demand, your dragon's hoard and tradeskill depot so that you can run searches against them, without being at the bank.
    3) Enable the Grab Item button from the hoard and depot when at the bank

And my pipedream request:
    - Allow shift/control clicking on items and then grab in order to grab a bunch of different items, from various sources, and deposit them into your inventory.
    Iven and ForumBoss like this.
  2. ForumBoss Augur

Good feedback. I believe 1) already exists if you check a box, but it should be default checked so people don't miss this feature.

I'd also like the selected item's bag window to be brought to the foreground if the bag is covered, and a brighter (striped or flashing?) highlight border on the item slot to make it easier to find. Sometimes I have trouble locating the item on my screen I just found - 4k with a bunch of 40+ slot bags is a lot of information.
    Jedis likes this.
  3. Aanuvane Augur

1. already exists. It's just not checked by default and they might not want to for some technical reason.
    2. half already exists - you can search your TS Depot from anywhere with the normal search, just have to turn the toggle on first.
    3. half already exists - the grab button works on the TS Depot while at the bank, just not the hoard.
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

There are times I have to close all my open bags, select the item in the find window, and then try to find the thin cyan outline.

I also wish bags had a number of them when opened since their window position might have absolutely no bearing on which slot they're in. The default cascade with all the bags nearly on top of each other is not helpful at all.
    Kaenneth and ForumBoss like this.
  5. ForumBoss Augur

Even better, an option to "tile all bag windows" in order of the slot ID in some known pattern.
    Tatanka, Kaenneth and Rijacki like this.
  6. Soulbanshee Augur

There are certain window types that have a (an annoying, but probably overall useful for not losing windows) fixed "show on top of other windows", or otherwise some kind of fixed Z axis range, where they can bring to front over their own type but not others, in the current UI engine. We shall see in the new one coming out. As a quick example since I don't overlap too many windows myself, shared bank bags are fixed on top, and I cannot bring map window over item window. Otherwise yeah that would be handy as I too have had to hunt sometimes for the item highlight behind overlapping bag windows.
  7. Jedis Arch Mage

Yep, totally missed it. Never even looked at the bottom of the window, since the hoard is mentioned up top. It's clear this window needs some serious usability work!
  8. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Or use the bag's icon at the top of its window
  9. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Only helpful if you have all different bags... but it, too, would be nice.
  10. Szilent Augur

The inability to search those alternate storage venues is a big time feature, not a bug. That inability is, not even exaggerating, the raison d'être of one of them (the Hoard). Anything you can search like that has to have their contents loaded every time your character logs in, zones, or loads UI, making the played experience of EQ worse.
    Warpeace likes this.
  11. Jedis Arch Mage

And that's exactly why those are NOT loaded automatically. However, if one has the NEED to check, they can click the button to load it. That is the purpose of the existing button on the window.

Dump your real estate, which is the true source of your slow zoning problem.
  12. Kalamos Augur

I've never experienced this personally. I have one character with a LOADED real estate plot, and another with nothing, and they both load into the game roughly the same and zone within milliseconds of each other. I'm not saying its not a thing, just that there are probably other factors involved.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I agree. Must be other factors or the slow zoning would happen all the time and for me its very random. I even tested that theory by moving all the stuff to other characters and houses and it still zoned the same.
  14. Jedis Arch Mage

The lag comes from placing items in other people's plots, in addition to your own. If you're not sewing your warez across the neighborhood, then you're likely fine.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

But other people's plot don't load on your character when you zone. Only your plots/contents. Unless your an owner of the other plot.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  16. Jedis Arch Mage

This is incorrect. It has to load any and all plots where you've placed items.
  17. Monkeychunks Augur

My level 1 gnome guy I just made for the race has the same zone time lag as my level 120 pack rat. So I am on the side that there is something else at play here.

Wish the find button worked on those alt houses. You would think it would if they load also.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and CatsPaws like this.
  18. Aanuvane Augur

I have items in 71 plots in our neighborhood. I zone at the same rate as other characters that only have 1 owned plot and very few placed/stored items. Edit: Oh and I three box on one computer.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and CatsPaws like this.