Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I commented based on what I remember, I am not stating that anyone else is wrong just what I remember when I played it last year.

No the statement says once a mob is engaged and it doesn't define what that means exactly. Does it mean that if you get proximity agro it is locked? Does it mean it you hit it with a non damaging spell it is engaged? Does it mean any damage and it is engaged? Or is it something like a certain percentage of damage in relation to the health and it is engaged?

The only mention of agro in the information we got is about losing it and becoming unlocked.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Not a single thing, got nothin'.

You had already lost when you had nothing more than "we need to wait for more detail".
  3. Larsen Augur

Summoning is literally the one and only aspect of Everquest predicated on that, so there's no need to disingenuously use the term "things like summoning." In absolutely all other cases, engaging a mob means triggering its aggro, i.e. tagging it or getting too close or whatever other ways this can happen. That's how it has always been, and the safe assumption is that the same will be the case with FTE. The assumption that they've secretly thought up some convoluted system of criteria, without announcing it despite community-wide rebellion against the feature (why the hell would they not say something in that case?) is not the safe assumption. It's an unfounded, improbable fringe hope. To insist that all feedback must stop because there's the faint possibility that they have, for inexplicable reasons, withheld information like that despite a week of overwhelming backlash, is silly to say the least.

It would make even less sense to gate encounter-locking behind damage done. Then they'd have further limited the extent to which it can be used to help the victims of KSing and further helped the ones doing it, and then it also doesn't do anything to prevent training. It means that any class that doesn't start a fight by front-loading burst damage is at a disadvantage. It means groups are generally at a disadvantage because guess what a normal, natural group does when they're about to take on a difficult named mob? They carefully single-pull it, then debuff it, then start to DPS once the tank has aggro. Meanwhile, what do you think a would-be KSer would do? The opposite, preferably with a Wand of Conflagration if it's a really valuable mob. So now everyone in Everquest has to change their entire approach to combat, forgoing things like debuffs and aggro management in favor of front-loading burst damage and hoping for the best? Ridiculous.

FTE is an even dumber mechanic than already assumed if it's like that.
  4. Captain Video Augur

I've long since been convinced they don't really want to crack down on cheaters due to the wide-spread prevalence of third-party software use on Live servers. The supposedly automated anti-cheat detection algorithms they're using now are quite primitive by modern gaming standards. If they did want to crack down more on cheating, there are simpler options available, they wouldn't need to go to this length. Having said that, it could prove to be an unintended consequence of FTE that the issue of third-party software on the TLP side is finally forced out into the open. It's not a joke.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I'm reading this: is this incorrect?

From what I understand there is no way to be summoned without aggro. You may drop that aggro, and the mob may ignore you, but with FTE your Raid/Group/Self are now Locked with the mob.

The most likely case if you are summoned, the mob is already previously locked, and you are included in the lock, or you wouldn't have been summoned.

If I understand the Summon mechanic correctly.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And this is a new mechanic that is being added to the game, there is no reason to assume that it has to be based only on agroing the mob which would mean that someone running through an area and doing nothing to the mobs could get a lock and prevent others from engaging them.
    Demetri likes this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And you are missing the point that I am getting at which is agro alone might not be enough to lock an encounter.
  8. 6BoxerOnCoirnav Lorekeeper

And you are missing the point that agro alone might be enough to lock an encounter
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  9. HuggyBear Journeyman

Your assumption makes zero sense. If it requires a mob to drop a percent of health to activate the lock, how would that stop people from training mobs? If they don't lock on agro then FDing a bunch of mobs on others would still train them as they would not be locked and would therefore not need to reset back to home base.
  10. Trident Elder

Genuine question Waring as you seem to drill on this activation aspect so much. Why does it matter what will activate the engagement when ,99% of the time, damage will be the first thing to occur in competitive situations anyways?

I could see a situation where if the treshhold is raised to a level that throw stone types of situations become irrelevant, but at that point they just introducing a convoluted system of moving the threshold from 51% to some other arbitrary number that certain classes will meet with 1 cast while others are sol.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am just stating that we don't know what they mean by engaging a mob and it could easily be something besides getting agro.
    Demetri likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because so many of the assumptions on how the system will work is being based on the thought that who ever can hit it with agro first (either by action or proximity) is the one that it gets locked to. If that assumption is wrong it will have a big impact on many things on the server.

All I am saying is we shouldn't read too much into what "engage" means in the context of locking an encounter.
    Demetri likes this.
  13. Triconx Augur

I found it comical that the same people proclaiming this is changing the fundamentals of what EQ is are the same ones crying about no Mischief clone 2.0. Mischief rules diverged so far away from one of the most widely-accepted fundamental aspects EQ, loot and how it was attained. EQ was always built around a tiered progression & loot system with set distribution tables for each encounter. Mischief completely flipped that on it's head by destroying the tiered approach, and allowed people top acquire top tier loot from groupable low end tier "raid" encounters. Complaining about FTE changing the "rules" of EQ is just being selective in what to complain about.

Furthermore, these "rules" aren't even something that always existed in EQ. Remember PNP? Oh yeah, that changed up the same rule that FTE is changing. Remember DPG getting rid of PNP in favor of no camps no KSing, just straight dps racing? These so-called "rules" have changed numerous times. To act like this is suddenly fundamentally killing something in EQ that's always been is, again, ignorant.

And trains being part of EQ? How often are these trains happening that it's an such a fundamental aspect of EQ? What a nonsense strawman.
    Rijacki likes this.
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Glad to see you're still standing Tri. Thank you for the genuine input, without nonsense.

Did you see the Bobby thread?
  15. Trident Elder

Literally have no care if this was or wasnt a mischief 2.0

I take issue with it when they put it into the universe that this will probably get moved to other servers. I'd expect the same visceral reaction if they said the same about random loot getting exported to other servers
  16. Strife Lorekeeper

I mean given your post history, and the ideas you've championed. You definitely have a lot more L than W takes. Statistically if we guessed whether you were wrong or right and we picked *wrong* we'd have like a 95% chance of being correct
    Sephirex and MasterMagnus like this.
  17. ForumBoss Augur

I personally am not super concerned about the first to engage impact on kill stealing, as I likely wont play this server until after that crowd has died down and epics are more achievable.

What I am concerned about is things I know I like to do, that definitely wont be possible with the rules as written. One would be power leveling a friend by doing out of group dps to help them catch up after a break. I dont earn krono from this, I do this only when I feel like it and when it is fun. Or putting a character out of group to heal or snare.

Additionally, I am also concerned about all the unintentional side effects with mechanics such as split pulling, leashing, mobs healing or running. This seems very risky and a large can of worms compared to the return on investment. The problem statement has not been stated by dpg that they are trying to solve, though there are plenty of guesses here. Some of the so called obvious reasons are a wash at best, as dps racing would just be swapped with a ping or auto clicker race.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  18. Thatoneguy666 Elder

He just posts on here 400 times per day with essentially blank posts and non-responses to clutter the feedback of people with legitimate opinions and run damage control for Day Break. Brown-nosing suck-up, absolutely useless drivel on literally any topic.

I'd rather read a Skuz post than a Waring post.
    Velisaris_MS and MasterMagnus like this.
  19. Crabman Augur

I heard we get the FAQ after this thread hits 100 pages. keep it up guys!
    Tucoh likes this.
  20. Doze Augur

Those 2 were/are NOT heresy at all, they are entirely different things that did NOT (unlike FTE 100% will) make several integral parts of what made EQ the game that we all come back to play COMPLETELY impossible.
    Advloot and Pickzones was QoL changes that did not interfere with the basics of the game in any major way, but FTE will turn EQ into a totally different game (and I am certain that the server will fast become a ghost town - maybe even on day one).

Now THIS is heresy though.

"... and everyone was sad when it turned out that Bobby was not the hero everyone thought he was after all."