New classes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Alnitak, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Alnitak Augur

Here is my newest idea:
    DPG should introduce some elaborate individual character quest similar in difficulty to RZ earring, and doable by all players, not requiring hard in-era raids.
    And the reward of that quest should be an item or character flag, which would enable/unlock ... [wait for it] secondary class capabilities, in form of a class designator, class AA's, class spells etc.
    Perhaps a selection could be limited to some list, but otherwise it would be up to the player to pick the hybrid mix.
    A beastlord with ranger spells/AA's/weapons.
    A druid with magician pets/nukes.
    A shadowknight with enchanter spell line.
    A monk with shadowknight armor and lifetaps.
    In terms of class balance some tune-up would be necessary, but overall such a hybrid wouldn't be more capable than 2 characters of corresponding classes playing together.

The server would be populated with a variety or different hybrids. And well-developed characters would immediately get busy developing their alter egos.
    KushallaFV and kizant like this.
  2. Cicelee Augur

3. Koshk Augur

Sure, why not. Sounds like some wacky, multi-classing fun times.

The "...some tune-up would be necessary..." might be a colossal understatement, however. ;)
  4. Cloud the Third Augur

If anything they need to get rid of classes not add more.
  5. Chorus Augur

I'm a huge fan of true multiclassing, but in EQ it just simply wouldn't work. I wouldn't mind seeing prestige classes introduced, but I don't think they have the manpower or the imagination to maintain that sort of system either so ....c'est la vie, I suppose.
  6. ForumBoss Augur

I've been thinking about something like this, perhaps for a new TLP or experimental server. They'd have to somehow add new tabs to the AA sheet depending on your secondary class, along with changing your character tag such that you can scribe/equip other the other class stuff. Although the comment about removing classes makes some sense - just give Mages ports, and then you don't need wiz anymore and get both the DPS and utility - but that is multi-classing.

I'm sure this is highly unlikely, but fun to think about. I was a huge fan of FF5 and other multi-classing games.
  7. Cloud the Third Augur

It would be nice if you could play every class in the game on a single character. You could swap what class you were playing as depending on the needs of your group but it would be a nightmare from just the bags and having to store items for multiple classes etc. It is already annoying to need 4 sets of merc gear so imagine needing like a full set of gear for every class on a single character.
  8. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

So the same content but with character that's basically twice as powerful, maybe more? Game's easy enough already, isn't it? I don't think it'd even add the meaningful customization you're hoping for because there'd be extremely limited meta options for raiding/grouping and everything else would be objectively inferior.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

We really don't need new classes. Class balancing is probably a pain for Devs as it is now without adding more classes to the mix.
    Shanarias and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  10. Evertrek Augur

seems like you really would like the class flexibility that all other MMOs have with class specs. these days you can play a class and have the ability to heal, or tank, or dps. most cases to heal or tank means lower dps.... Rift had a nice dps healer build able to heal while providing good dps.

maybe open classes up to all races and adding spell sets to healers and tanks that alow them to solo to max level in pve settings would be a easier change.
  11. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

EQ used to really have a bunch of fun clicky, items with different class abilities that really hooked myself and others. Getting back into being creative with itemization would go a long way to rejuvenating the community and dev team.

So, many possibilities to let people get some variation in character building or strategies. Whoever runs the itemization the last decade is pretty bland and killing the game.
    Zarkdon likes this.
  12. Stephen51 Augur

I'd love a secondary class added. It would give the game another direction to go, an additional grind for your secondary class, and more AA's plus it would be fun. I've suggested it before, but if you went the route of D & D, the available spells and abilities would be half the level of your main class (so like 60 at max level). Additionally, for EQ I would think there would need to be a limit as to what available secondary classes would be available to a primary class, which would probably make it more of a "fluff" idea. As has already been pointed out, this would only make class balance even more difficult and the production cost would be more that Darkpaw could (or would) spend.

Somehow it would create more lag as well :D
  13. FYAD Augur

That's basically the original design for EQ's hybrid classes (ranger, bard, paladin, shadow knight, beastlord).
    Aenvar and Stephen51 like this.
  14. Act of Valor The Newest Member

They can't even balance the classes we have now, what on earth makes you think they could balance dual classing?
    FYAD likes this.