EverQuest Producer’s Letter April 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Komodon Augur

Unlike the post you quoted, how many of those 1000 posts actually extend their "examination effort" to both sides of the context coin here? Instead of you know... just *solely* focusing in on the potential and hypothetical downside scenarios that can come out of having FTE? As that guy helped point out compared to the ample examples of "toxic gameplay" we see play out in the game world now under the absolute "dps racing rules all" format there is certainly a fair share of give and take FTE brings to the change table. With potential upside moment countering the potential bad a lot of those 1000 posts seem to strictly key in on.

Like for starters every guild but the single mega zerg actually going out of their way to kill OW targets on every server nowadays wins big with FTE. Catch Doz up while your 2 groups in ToV are actively farming quest armor? Grats you and screw that zerg guild's 1 batphone tracker afk in the zone. Same goes for everybody popping in to OOT and clearing their own chunk of the island to farm their individual toon need Jboots.

There is also a whole lot of pick-your-poison moments surrounding heavily contested camps to properly consider (especially from a casual player pov who may not be rolling deep in surrounding mass box or organized guild support). Where that sole represented complaint concern of hypothetically getting FTE sniped is probably looking the lesser current in-game reality evil to that group of 6 that just plopped down to push you out of your solo/duo Pained Soul spawn camp a couple fruitless hours in. Or the countless other similar camp names out there that nearby people are still routinely making strength-in-numbers zergs to regardless and without FTE the moment that audio trigger goes off that almost everybody you see in the zone has running.
    demilich, gunstar, Magneress and 4 others like this.
  2. Zrender Augur

EQ since beta, hoss. I like the FTE idea and want to try it. Hop on down the road to D4. Hit that cash shop hard.
    gunstar and Rijacki like this.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I don't agree on FTE. But that's some good post right there.
  4. code-zero Augur

I think that they made it pretty clear that the first to tag being the one that locks the NPC is the designed intention. Doing that will not be considered an exploit at all so therefore not highly exploitable.

FTE is not complicated, the explanation is straightforward and obvious. There is no mystery and no amount of sophistry on the part of forum philosophers will make it anything other than what it is.

The other thing they are bringing on will be the Legacy characters which will be sort of cool for my same account alts and might result in a few max level bazaar traders in the future :p
    Zrender and Magneress like this.
  5. Magneress Augur

I've played EQ since 1999 wow since 04 and p99 and a bunch of other MMOs and games.. I read every single post here and in the Oakwynd thread. Safe to say that I am an expert. And a Jedi master.

I can tell you right now. People are over reacting. Hyperbolic. And being selfish. That's ok though! They need to get it out of their system and hear that either way. FTE or not. It'll be ok.
  6. Metanis Bad Company

So... if I rent me some Windows client space in a certain data center in Las Vegas with a 10Gb connection to the local peering device and throw some automation at it, I can always win the FTE battle. Then I could advertise my services just like I'm a power leveler.

Don't mind me, I'm writing up my business plan!
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. Magneress Augur

That is my biggest fear too and macaroni questing. We already have those problems tho. I don't expect FTE to solve either.

It will help with trains. And when the cheats are patched or banned it will level the field a bit.
    Zrender likes this.
  8. Tappin Augur

And you legitimately have automation attacking mobs before they have properly spawned into the zone. What am supposed to do? Make some popcorn and watch them kill everything?
  9. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I thought your only reason for not wanting FTE was because you think you won't be able to help anyone and that's the core of EQ.

(BTW, hard to help others with instancing. AoC and /pickzone are instancing just as much as the later expansion missions.)
  10. Dmitry Elder

My feedback is that there are not a ton of guilds and old school people looking to jump in on this TLP. This is my umpteenth server and this one feels a a little Coirnav to me. Feeling like by far the best way to get people to jump in is to make it free trade.
  11. Tappin Augur

Partially, but more importantly it guts the the combat system (the heart and soul of EQ) Furthermore once it's in the front door, they'll continually restrict combat, because that's easier then designing good content.
    Thatoneguy666 likes this.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Hyperbole. It doesn't gut the combat system at all. You can still swing a sword (or other weapon or spell) and hit stuff, kill stuff, and take it's loot. That's the core of the combat system. You just can't DPS on something someone else has engaged or drag it over on to someone and feign to dump it on them. There is nothing restricted about the combat itself.
    Zrender and gunstar like this.
  13. Tappin Augur

Pulling for example, is a big part of EQ and is part of the overall combat (especially on TLP). FTE is absolutely going to cause problems with multiple groups working in close proximity, in fact it's going to be a nightmare.
    Jontrann likes this.
  14. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

EQ2 has had FTE since day 1. There have been multiple groups in close proximity in several zones over the years. It did not cause the types of problems you claim nor has it been the nightmare you claim, even in the heaviest population times. Other modern games have FTE and do not have any of the problems you predict.
    Zrender likes this.
  15. Tappin Augur

One of reasons people gave up EQ2 is because of locked encounters. Besides, EQ2s combat is significantly different than EQs - not something that has a direct comparison.
  16. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Only because you believe it to be so.
    Zrender likes this.
  17. Lamberduim Elder

Please please please make a mischief 2.0 server. You can add these new rules idc I just want a new random loot free trade sever. It's so fun
  18. kizant Augur

I played EQ2 when it was released and FTE was one of the main reasons I and my friends quit. It was a pretty common issue back then and it's unfair to pretend otherwise.
  19. Braelvenae Lorekeeper

It's okay Rijacki doesn't want to admit that FTE was such an amazing success that it has been removed from popular MMOs before and we know EQ2 is bursting at the seems people praising it. FTE is so good it's going to cure cancer for the 5 people in here arguing it's merits.
  20. gunstar Apprentice

Still haven't seen a solid argument against FTE besides using blatant hacks/cheats to exploit it or doing obvious trolling that will also get you banned.

All of you are against it but don't even know why. Very old man yells at cloud.

---

"FTE will lead to constant griefing and trolling!"

*6 boxer mage group pushes my group off a camp on non-FTE server*

"LOL THATS EQ BABYYYY CRY MORE"
    Zrender likes this.