Encounter locking - coming to live?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And you don't see to understand that there is a lack of information about how this system will work or how it will impact the tickets that they receive. You are right that they will do things like that but I also wager that is what this system is designed to help with and they have factored that into how things will work on the server.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Strife Lorekeeper

Your faith in this...is kinda disturbing tbh. I would remotely agree if the devs had a history of putting in changes that didn't negatively impact legitimate players. However, they have a long history of implementing things without understanding the consequences.
    Mikana and Barraind like this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think you are misunderstanding what I am getting at which is we can't write off this new system as we don't know how it will work in actuality. That and I think we can give the devs a little more credit in knowing what the issues are regarding cs tickets and what the goal they are trying to achieve is.
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ok basing my reply on this post which is strictly about TLP servers:
    if you dont like this ruleset dont play on this unique ruleset TLP server. Its an experiment. If it doesnt work out they wont do it again.
    Windance, Rijacki and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  5. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

"But that won't prevent others from playing on that ruleset because they might inappropriately like it and I don't want them to be able to try it." (the logic behind posting broad declarations)
    Laronk and Kaenneth like this.
  6. Strife Lorekeeper

Omlord, I don't know why I expected different from the forums.
    Rijacki likes this.
  7. kookoo Augur

3rd party software give a big advantage VS those who don't use any .
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree its likely trying to address all the KSing on TLPs. Whether it will or not will depend how they do it. If it just goes from DPS race to FTE race I am not sure that will do it but maybe they have some ideas around this....
  9. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Water bird gives advantage over nothing.
    Egg timer advantage over water bird.
    Auto clicker over egg timer.
    Macro mouse/keyboard over auto clicker.
    Your own custom program over macro mouse.

Then there are the fools using widely distributed software from some third party.

Live players should start practicing Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock

There are no camps, but you can own an encounter. Great logic Spock, but it's a food web not hierarchy, there are many apex predators.
  10. Tappin Augur

The degree of freedom which EQ allows it players to engage in combat is absolutely unique to any modern MMOs and gives EQ its it's charm and heart and soul. While some of freedoms have eroded of years, FTE is going gut the remainder of it. It's absolutely unnecessary at this stage of EQ's lifespan.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  11. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

There are many reasons no no modern game has the same "freedom" and many possibly contribute to the attrition of players, especially new ones, from EQ. Other games, including EQ2, that have an FTE system also have ways players can help other players.

Besides, with how much is instanced both with AoC and /pickzone, is there really that many players standing around to help other players out of group, aside from power leveling?

As noted by Svann2, it is relatively rare, my guess it's rarer than many of the the rare Named spawns in the aughts, for a player to help someone while just passing by without an intent to out DPS or intentionally there to PL.

With FTE, nothing stops you from buffing or healing between encounters to do your PLing.
    Magneress likes this.
  12. Strawberry Augur

The sense of freedom in EQ I feel is really because of the type of zones.

I feel freedom in Karana because it's a wide open gigantic zones with animals.
    But I can also feel freedom in a DoN instance because it's my own little world.

I don't feel free in some EQ zones, because I feel claustrophobia, I feel trapped.

It's a phsychological effect for me, an impression of a zone, it's not related to gameplay mechanics.
    Rijacki likes this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

ToV - EW & GD

AB had an issue with a player griefing and following people around just to KS them, he picked on the small groups that he could easily out DPS. Often picking on the same people every day.

The server dealt with him, with FTE it would have been a whole heap of petitions.

These griefers can turn up on any server at any time.
    Laronk likes this.
  14. Flatchy Court Jester

Dont really see it on BB when I play. It seems like a pretty civilized server with an older base. I see people offering help in general quite often. Just last night some guy asked gen if anyone needed some named in Paladul for their hunter achivement as he was camping that mob and it had spawned. Every weekend im on General offering a Free TA to when one door opens with usually all the loot included. Dunno how much plat ive turned down on that. ROts are called out on general all the time . I see free TA to other stuff a lot too , I know HInan gives away tons of em. I do think camps are a thing, its just being a decent person instead of being a . Take your turn if someone else is there move along, there are other camps. I usually ask the person how long they are gonna be there. Its amazing how often they say, "ahhh go ahead and take it , im done". I guess that is why I have never moved or tried a diff server.
    Nennius, Yinla, Tallie and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tappin Augur

We don't need an explanation or really care about what server it's intended for. We need this 'hakai' from existence.
    Barraind likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you don't care what this server is for then ignore it and move on to another server and those who want to know more can just wait for that information.
    Rijacki likes this.
  17. Tappin Augur

No, because it will eventually be on live. It needs to be deleted period.
    Barraind likes this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As multiple people have said that announcement didn't say which of the features might come to live and it also said it would depend on how it worked out. From what others and myself have suggested this feature isn't targeted at live servers and instead it is designed for issues on TLP servers.

Regardless as we don't know exactly how it will work yet it is too soon to start panicking over it.
    Rijacki likes this.
  19. Laronk Augur

The devs have a history of maintaining a game that I keep coming back to every time I leave it for over 20 years at this point.

I have faith, I also have faith that it will need to be patched numerous times and the first iteration isn't going to be perfect so I also implore you to go to this new tlp and try it out. =0
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  20. Strife Lorekeeper

The sheer number of abuses people have thought of even if this system is done well is staggering. This belongs on test if it belongs anywhere at all. Not on a TLP.
    ForumBoss likes this.