Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Stune Augur

You actually brought up a great point, put it out like the P99 server for free. Let those players data stream it. Unless they plan to pay me for my effort, I'd rather wait until another TLP comes out or play something else now. Really not sure how many alpha players left to be honest.
  2. Moforyguy12345 Augur

I keep seeing people saying "give it a chance to see how it is before talking about how bad it will be" If the idea hasn't made it past the forums and is THIS big of a deal to a lot of people then that is enough already to see how bad it is. It changes what EverQuest has always been. I'll take no part in a server like that and gladly play something else. Its not the drug us EQer's are looking for.
    Thatoneguy666 and Aerodru like this.
  3. code-zero Augur

Again, "If I can't train I'm not gonna play" is not the flex that you think it is and all the fantasies about "griefing" aren't selling it either
    Demetri and Zrender like this.
  4. Moforyguy12345 Augur

I've never trained anyone purposefully but outcomes have happened that never would have if a train didn't happen. Never again will you get a couple extra frogloks added to a pull to make the camp less boring. Social interaction is one of the main attractions of EQ. Its one of the reasons Commonlands is favored by a lot of people over the Bazaar. I don't argue that trolls do in fact train people on purpose and hardly get trouble for it but that doesn't mean you change something that has been a part of the game forever. I think your take is that everyone against this are trolls and griefers...which would mean 85% of EverQuest players are just trolls?
  5. MagicOrcen New Member

They have been changing stuff that has been part of the game forever for the last 25 years. Are people just noticing this with FTE?
    Demetri and Rijacki like this.
  6. Trident Elder

Ill take things no one said for 500 alex.

Literally no one bashing this terrible concept is worried about the training aspect. About the closet thing to it is people pointing out that this travesty of an idea will allow guilds/groups the ability to purposefully train trash away and completely trvialize encounters/zones.

But i know thinking 2 steps ahead is 1 step too many for people that think this fits in eq.
    Thatoneguy666 likes this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They are the ones to create and name what type of server it is and considering that they always reference it as a random loot server that is what they consider it.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That isn't a fair judgement to make when it hasn't even been a week since the announcement and we don't have all the details. If you don't want to play on this server you still have plenty of options in existing TLP servers. There is no reason that people should need a fresh TLP server to start over again each year.
    Demetri, Rijacki and Zrender like this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

We don't have all the details about the new FTE rules and we should wait for those before making a final decision.
    Demetri and Rijacki like this.
  10. Larsen Augur

Yep. Don't need to actually see for myself in order to know that Oakwynd will be plagued with rampant, non-stop KSing. It'll literally be what defines the server. Absolutely every single camp where something valuable drops will be visited constantly by people trying to tag named mobs before the group holding the camp. It's not as if there's even really the possibility that this won't be a thing. KSing is pretty common even on regular servers, and when anyone can just snag a mob in front of a whole group and there's literally nothing they can do about it, lots of people will go out of their way to do so.

One can debate the effects of legacy characters or the impact of the evolving expansion bonuses, but encounter locking will play out exactly the way everyone's predicting because it's such a no-brainer. There won't be unforeseen nuances that catch people by surprise. It'll simply be a server full of scumbags sniping mobs from eachother, and box crews showing up to force groups to leave camps by fighting for mob tags until that group simply has to go somewhere else because it's pointless to stay when you lose half the spawns. The server will be utter garbage and possibly the most toxic MMORPG experience ever.

All this to combat PLing, apparently, which is such a tiny nuisance in comparison. How often are you seriously inconvenienced by PLers? Just go to a different pick, and don't bother XPing in The Deep. It's not as if TLPs are just littered with masses of PLers. It's something you run into once in a while and you just steer clear. How on Earth did anyone decide to implement such insanely intrusive and abusive mechanics just to deal with something that's barely even a problem? It's like treating a hangnail by amputating the arm. It's ridiculous enough that I suspect it isn't really the reason.
    Trident likes this.
  11. Trox2010 Augur

The fact it is taking this long to provide said details doesn't bode to well on this being anything other than a slapped together idea, and now they are scrambling to figure out how it really will work.
  12. 6BoxerOnCoirnav Lorekeeper

/end thread

Thanks for summing it up perfectly. Its almost like youre from the future and youve seen it. I dont know how DBG could possibly enforce any new rules when they already do NOT enforce existing, barebones rules. I keep reading people saying "devs will fix it all before launch, dont worry", which is such a lame excuse because they absolutely will not.
  13. Larsen Augur

It's not against the rules to KS in the first place, so they don't even need to fail to enforce the rules in order for the server to be absolute trash. It'll be trash even if it works 100% as intended and they do their jobs perfectly. Encounter locking is one of the dumbest, most backwards game mechanics you could possibly put in a game like this where open world content is such a big part of the economy, itemization and even content progression. Imagine doing the VP key on Oakwynd. It'll be practically impossible. Remember the part that is a ground spawn where a whole crowd of people sit with auto-clickers? Now repeat that for every medallion that drops off a mob. People prefer that over seeing a PLer once in a while? What kind of absolute lunatic thinks encounter locking is a better alternative to the utter non-problem that is PLing?
    Trident and 6BoxerOnCoirnav like this.
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

For anyone like Twiddle Dee incapable of understanding words, or at least acting like it.

ENGAGE = aggro
    Aggro exists in code, checking any other metric would take code that doesn't currently exist.

Which also points out, they will have to write code for the management of what happens after 'engage'.

Will the code to manage FTE help zone performance? The less new code they write, the less performance is impacted.

It's a terrible idea on the face of it, you need no more detail to see that.

Or you can let Tweedle Dee try to silence dissent.
    KronoCatcher and 6BoxerOnCoirnav like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It hasn't even been a week since the announcement and the server is still over a month away. They are likely taking their time to make sure they get the announcement right.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is what people are assuming but they can use other metrics for locking such as taking damage similar to mobs going into summon mode. We won't know what locks encounters util they let us know or the server launches.
  17. Ruhi Augur

people were dropping items outside the pile
  18. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

Nearly every single TLP ever announced hasn't made it past forums. Forums is for people who aren't satisfied with whatever outcome there's going to be.

Enjoy your current server gameplay, nobody will think any less of you. If your decision is already set in stone, it's a little cringe to be spouting in the new TLP thread about how 'you're not going to participate'. I'm positive DBG will have thousands of participants for this new server, but we appreciate your input.
  19. Trident Elder

So by this logic, training is still alive and well. If it takes damage to activate the lock then there's nothing to stop people from gathering mobs up and dropping them off.

The 4 people who think ending the existence of trains will solve all of eq's problems will be devastated with this implementation.

Btw, I really hope dbg is atleast paying you in station cash for the amount of pr damage control you do for them no matter what the subject matter is. You somehow always manage to spin it in their favor.
    Thatoneguy666 and MasterMagnus like this.
  20. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

The biggest irony about this post is that it could be stated to support why there should be FTE implemented. You could easily say without FTE, people will "non-stop KS" my camps, since no ruleset is currently in place for preventing this. You could also easily support FTE by saying without it, "every single camp where something valuable drops will be visited constantly by people trying to dps-race you for the drop". It certainly does happen, and if your opinion is that it isn't often, I would imagine the same opinion could be made for 'mob-tagging' once FTE is implemented.

Also regarding your last paragraph, I think you're missing the core value of why they want to reduce/thwart forms of AoE PLing. It's not because the Deep/Chardok/etc. is being used by PLers, it's because actively trying to find social levelling groups is statistically shrinking. It has gotten to the point on the newest TLP's that if you don't purchase a PL to level up, that you would generally have to box another toon to manage levelling up (or get lucky with a very active guild :)) . Atleast in my opinion, this concept was to try to increase the volume of players trying to group to level up at all levels, and it certainly would do that in concept.