Encounter locking - lets talk about it.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Apr 7, 2023.

1. Chuuk Augur

The biggest thing to me is that this will prevent / eliminate probably the most popular method of Plvling - AoE DS style. Basically, you load up a raid-geared toon with DS spell + DS potion, grab half of upper guk, let them beat on you while a bard/wiz/whatever drops a 10 damage PBAOE on the group of mobs, and let the damage shield do all the work while the lowbie toons get slathered in exp.

As I read it, in FTE, this won't be possible because the mobs will be "engaged" to the puller, and your lowbie toons won't be able to land that PBAOE.

My question tho is, can you group the high-level with the low level guys WHILE you grab the mobs (so you'll technically be part of the encounter) and then disband, tag, and profit exp? Idk.

I'm sure someone or someones will learn to exploit the new rules while the rest of us flounder...as usual.
    Overcast451 and Magneress like this.
  2. Zapsos Augur

Problem with that is that there is no way for DBG to know how fast my computer renders, it's not like it's a server side delay, the mob spawns, sends instructions to your client that mob is up and then your computer draws it.
    Magneress likes this.
  3. Feelics New Member

About monk pulling, there are times it does take more than 15 seconds for the mobs to start to walk away. So trying to FD split mobs that don't want to path back right away is going to be a royal pain in trying to time it as well with the FTE reset timer. I for one can't see why I would pay to sign up for a TLP Test server. Remember when Mischief/Thornblade was young. How many patches and hotfixes for the loot tables where there. Do you think actually changing core mechanics would be any better? Don't get me wrong the FTE system can be a good ideal if worked out right with the way EQ is played. But this should be done on test and not on a TLP where people just want to log in to have some fun. 'Opps can't log into the server since it is down for a hotfix. Guess I will just go play on another server.' How many do you think will be like that? Sooner then later the server will be draining players. Without voicing one's thoughts, DPG will just think they are doing the right thing for the players. Like I stated I can see good in the new system, but I also see a lot of bad in it. I am in hopes that they release a second TLP without the FTE, using the evolving system. Give the players a choice in what they like and then you can gage if the FTE system is worth it. For it's the players that are paying the bills. Simple business, make them happy. They will continue to pay.
    Tanar and MMOer like this.
  4. Sabra Lorekeeper

Thats correct BUT they know who is running cheat programs, they recognize them by their hash and log it. Until someone complains they let you slide. So don't think you're getting away with anything, they just rather take your money and let you hack a 24 year old game until you really piss someone off. So, don't piss anyone off and you're good.
  5. MMOer Augur

Good Points Feelics.
  6. Ruhi Augur

several opinions i have on your post.

most tlp's have been "test" servers with new stuff - aoc's, picks, slow xp, fast xp, fast unlock, level unlock, etc - so my assumption (based on your passion for tlps) is that you've played on previous tlps where your opinion aligns with the "test" mechanic.

the players are given a choice - to play on the fte tlp, to not play on it, to not play eq in general or to go play 1 of the many other servers that fits the mechanics they enjoy.

i skipped vaniki, selo, miragul cause their ruleset was beyond what i wanted to play - no negativity - plenty of people enjoyed those servers - they just weren't for me. sounds like you have the same opinion on oakwynd - just skip it.

all the negative feedback is because people want that FRESH server - it's not a phinny clone or a mischief clone, so they are upset - otherwise, there are plenty of servers to choose from with rules/mechanics they enjoy.
    Qingwa, Zrender, Magneress and 2 others like this.
  7. Feelics New Member

Your assumption is not correct. When I came back I played on Brekt, with a few friends, until it was merged to FV. Then they opened up Rizlona and I was there until Mischief/Thornblade came out. Was fun for a few, but yes I did end up leaving that server. Playing on Yelinak now, just to wait til this new server. So no, I was not part of the 'testing'. Now for Oakwynd, I do think the evolving part is an interesting twist, however my problem is with the FTE system. We just don't know enough of how it will work to understand the effects it will have. I do hope it works out for the better, but like stated, I do for see a lot of downtime to fix issues. With limited time to play, I don't want to log in to find I can't log into the server since it is down.
  8. Trevalon Augur

I think the biggest unintended consequence is definitely how easy it is going to be to steal mobs from others 'camps' now.

I usually play a bard and I usually pull. I have been known to pull any mob I can find no matter where the mob is located in a zone, even if its in another groups "camp". This new rule will make it super easy for good pullers to just snatch mobs from other groups and now they cant even try to fight you with the ranger/SK lol. Sniping names is also gonna be A LOT easier.

That being said, as I tell people who usually yell at me in /ooc in Lguk, there is no such things as camps and whoever does most DPS wins, which usually starts some super annoying fights that actually lead me to getting kicked out of a guild on Mangler lol. So if Darkpaws stance on camps is "there are no camps" then the FTE will cause 0 issues, cause just as DPS is king on other servers, then no camps is king on this one.

I dunno, gonna be alot of drama IMO and one of the reasons why I will not be joining the new server.

The expansions bonuses are cool though, lets keep doing that in the future!
    code-zero likes this.
  9. Magneress Augur

The problem here isn't the ruleset.

If you don't want to make friends fine. It should be easier to avoid players with a toxic attitude though. And some people should eat bans that aren't good for the server. If your just one guy dpsing a mob naw... I'm talking about cheaters who go to extraordinary means to control entire zones without outside help from other players solo.

I agree FTE won't put a dent in that so much. It will help with trains. And has the potential to deter a lot of RMT in concert with other changes, such as faster spawns, more common loot, lesser bottle necks, faster exp on alts etc.

DBG really does need to get the formula right and go after automation with a very heavy hand though.
    Zrender likes this.
  10. Ratonga_in_EQ1_When? New Member

For an experienced monk sure, but for somebody trying to learn the class or unfamiliar with pulls, sometimes they need to flop for a bit more than 15 seconds to get it right until they've got a better handle on the way FD pulling works in EQ or a better handle on their particular camp's spawns and pull patterns.
  11. Qingwa New Member

I can agree to this but better solution is just make the monster untaggable for X amount of time like 4-10 seconds after spawn and make that amount of time random. The 4 seconds allows it to be visible and this prevents issues with rains or programs assisting and claiming the target.
  12. Qingwa New Member

My big concern is what is preventing 1-3 monk from endlessly HOLDING a raid target and the encounter lock?

Example:
    I am thinking about "Vulak`Aerr" and then add in the Tunare strategy in PoG here where you get a few monks to all throw spears to get Tunare on her own without adds.

All they need to do is have a few monks FD at his feet after getting threat at the start the encounter after killing Lady N or Lord Vyemm. When one drops from threat pop up and smack him and fresh FD!

It would be an endless cycle of wack a mole to secure and maintain the raid encounter indefinitely. Now place this strategy on EVERY RAID ENCOUNTER OW!
  13. Qingwa New Member

I am 100% happy they aren't providing another server for Power Levelers QQing about the FTE system. Myself and many others are super excited about this server. It will be the first time people will be forced to be social after leveling their primary toons. They MUST level that second toon with other PLAYERS not power levelers. ^_^ Thank you so much EQ devs for only making 1 server and making it FTE. Besides my previous concerns posted most of us think this will be a HUGE success
    Zrender likes this.
  14. Qingwa New Member

Actually, I have thought of another concern with regards to people using 3rd party programs as with my concern about raid encounters.

What is preventing people using these 3rd party programs from just spinning up 20-30 accounts and taking the OW raid encounters or rare spawns on spawn timer (they can literally have them engage before visual as discussed above) from real players and then turning around and selling them the loot rights?!

I'd personally love to see this FTE, also be extended also to the LOOT!

I think this FTE is wonderful at giving the boot to all those power levelers and my heart is singing with regards to being able to play with real players on mains and alt toons. Though what is going to prevent these botters from stealing the loot and just turning around and selling it to the players to add salt to the wound?

People want the loot so they'll suck it up and buy it as always. I'd love to see this server be different. If we are actually making changes push those changes all the way and go the other direction from Mischief and if it is a no trade item then make those items encounter locked to those people AT the encounter kill. If the items are tradeable (not no-trade) they can be sold in CL tunnel/bazaar which is fine all players do this and is good for the economy.

So to recap:
    1. Please go hard at ending the use of 3rd party programs. We want to play with other humans not botters!
    2. Extend the FTE to no trade items in open word content and in dynamic zones. Make those items locked to the people at the encounter kill. I guess similar to epic kill looting?
    Thank you!
    Zrender likes this.
  15. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

It was hillarious when the Devs popped an invis raid mob so all the program using SKs HTed a mob that wasnt visable and they all got banned.
  16. wade_watts Augur

Imagine early EQ without hilarious trains to zone and the general chaos of social disruption.

Perish the thought.

You guys should go play your single player MMO somewhere else.
  17. Zrender Augur

Huh? Every popular non-PvP mmo has a variation of either FTE or open tagging.
  18. RandomStrategy Augur

You know, in 2004 the rumor was they were going to sync EQ and EQ2 and I did not think they would, but you might as well get ready, because it's all coming together.
  19. wade_watts Augur

And yet here you are paying to play the one that doesn't. Suprise!
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  20. Zrender Augur

Actually, I'm not paying currently, I'm waiting for the TLP. I want the FTE and I doubt I would be interested in any change to that. Last played on Yeli but will be playing Oakwynd IF they KEEP this new FTE in. If they concede to the mischief 2.0 QQers then I won't be back this year OR maybe I'll go play some live. Not super worried about it either way.