EverQuest Producer’s Letter April 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Tappin Augur

Oh my gosh, where has decade and half gone?

We never killed any mobs for level progression - Nope, never occurred.

No ones ever twinks a toon and PLs them - That's just blasphemous.

Forget helping a new or returning play some gear and a PL - That's just a waste of time, they'll just quit anyways.
  2. KobalWR Lorekeeper

True. Also I think they somehow expect people to make several alts. Leveling several characters in the Hole and Guk for 2 months is not so fun tho...
    If this server is made to make leveling more enjoyable, at least give us Kunark at launch so we can have more leveling roads to chose from.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

We have no clue exactly what it will do, just a general idea from a few sentences describing it. Why don't we wait for the feedback that they are going to provide with more details before we decided how bad it will be.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Rijacki like this.
  4. Magneress Augur

I'd like to point out that there's a very vocal contingent of antiFTE and people who want fast unlocks. That doesn't mean there are a not lot of players out there looking for a casual alternative who are also ok with FTE. It's just one server. I would be ok with them releasing another non FTE TLP server too. You can't make people whove been waiting for a new TLP like Oakwynd. Cater to your community, I guess and try to adventise and draw in new or old players for Oakwynd.

As a casual player. I'd like better per expansion bonuses and slower unlocks. Especially around 65-75. When some expansions can be quite large. I like to play several characters. However I doubt I'll raid on all. Don't need raid gear to play. Seeing the raid content would be nice at least on my main. Three or four alts reaching a 100% bonus would be really nice and potentially net a 5th. I still think the legacy bonuses are still a bit frugal. And honestly those could be moved to live aswell at some future date with almost no major impact.

Again I really don't like messing around with boxes and multiple accounts. I'm sure there are others like me.. I've boxed. I'd do it Again at some point for LDONs or DoDH maybe. Would vastly prefer being allowed to out level and go in those missions solo.. i am not against boxing either. Always trying to be friendly. I'm against automation and exploitation.

As far as platinum. The best way to fight inflation is to increase costs and decrease coin drops and vendor value.

I would love a server that doesn't allow krono.
    Rijacki likes this.
  5. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

In-game maps were added long after original launch when the spirit of EQ was that people would explore on their own and shouldn't have in an in-game map aid. So, changing the spirit of EQ....

Contested were part of the original "spirit of EQ" with the idea that it would be increased player interaction. Instances, when there were added, were decried as breaking the "Spirit of EQ" because everything should be contested. AoC were added to TLPs for the early expansion raid targets to not have as much bottlenecking on the contested raid content.

Travel hubs like Nexus and then PoK when PoP launched were very much decried as breaking the "Spirit of EQ" because only players of a limited number of classes should be able to transport to other locations and it encourages player interaction not to have in-game mechanisms for players of other classes to be able to travel on their own.

An exchangable item worth, on face value, a month's "subscription" was not in the original "Spirit of EQ" that required each player to have their own account.

The ability to log in more than one account on the same computer was very much not in the design or Spirit of EQ where the idea was that each player would have only one account and play that one account on one computer.

More than one copy of a zone and the ability to switch from one copy to another is, like other instancing, incredibly not in the Spirit of the original EQ. It's actually something that came from EQ2, oh the horrors.

and so on...

There have been a lot of changes to the "Spirit of EQ". Some are now very much ingrained in the current game even when or especially when it is on a TLP. Many even had massive complaints when they were added. Some also had doom and gloom predictions.

I started playing EQ shortly after Shadows of Luclin launched. In 2001 there were great shouts about how this was the end of the game, that it couldn't possibly last a year more with the changes that were being added in SoL. If I had a nickle every time I have heard someone proclaimed EQ or EQ2 dead and/or insisted that "no one plays", I could retire right now rather wealthy.

Also, just because you repeat something over and over and over because you don't like it doesn't make it as bad as you insist it is. I played EQ2 for many years. The "only in group" buffing is probably a lot more noticable than the FTE.

In EQ with an FTE, you would still be able to PL with buffs and heals between encounters which go a lot more toward the character themselves doing the "work" of leveling than just sitting and having someone else do it all for them. FTE could encourage grouping, including pugs, far more than even the absence of merc and with a true box requirement.

The Legacy XP buff could make it easier to level a new race/class when they unlock with an expansion, but the new character would have to do the bulk of the work and might even want to group with others, too, beyond just the first couple weeks after launch.

But... for those complaining about the lack of response: Look at the calendar. In North America and in a few other countries as well, 9 April is Easter. A lot of people get a 3-day weekend (even though it is a religious holiday) some might even get a 4-day. School aged kids often get a full week and their parents take corresponding vacation days. On top of DB likely wanting to let the idea gestate a little in the forums, responding in big ways over a holiday? really? Even without the holiday, you really expected them to respond to the rabid forum posters within a few hours of the post (some of the cries of "they don't listen"/"they aren't responding" were less than 6 hours after the letter was posted)?
  6. gunstar Apprentice

I'm just happy these angry people won't be on the server at launch. Looking forward to enjoying Oakwynd with people not obsessed with power leveling if FTE stands.
  7. Moforyguy12345 Augur

I'd just like them for ONE time to not start in classic. It is torture at this point. Even if its random loot and free trade, classic is still so limited. We NEVER get to level in kunark zones or Velious with the launch excitement that we experience every launch in Classic. Also Focus effects were a little extra to keep you occupied and interested and its never been in another TLP since Agnarr. Even if it makes the game easier, EQ is easy enough already.
    ForumBoss, Magneress and KobalWR like this.
  8. Bomce New Member

I just wish everyone would shut up about server mechanics this server mechanics that. We are all addicts you will play or you will not play. Stop whining about what you feel will make a "successful" server. They have done one of these for a decade or so now? Pretty sure they know what does and doesn't work for unlock times etc the data is there. What you want is a "ME" server. A server that does what you want when you want. Buy the company and then get that, otherwise again shut up. While they want player base input at the end of the day I bet they could publish statistics on all the accounts linked to posts that state they won't play because of blah, blah, blah and yet those accounts are active at server launch and have active toons on day 1 - 3 depending on server stability. Honestly I just hope they do what they always don't do and that is make more than one server on launch day so that ppl can actually log in and play day one hour one instead of the login madness that makes actually playing day one a tremendous downer and then at some future point merge the players into one/two servers depending on density. Otherwise, rule set this, truebox that, is all window dressing as starting day one trolls gonna troll, griefers gonna grief, farmers gonna farm, PLer's will PL to be level 50 day one and DPG will make a gajillion dollars on potion sales, large bag set sales and krono if ppl want them for their leveling up gear after a few weeks of ppl gouging for SSoYs. This is the way.
  9. Tappin Augur

Being able to assist others below you is very heart and soul of EQ - It's what makes EQ unique and an enjoyable experience. Without it, this game is just EQ in name only.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and CatsPaws like this.
  10. BigBlahformebro Apprentice

What in the world are you even talking about? "Pretty sure they know what does and doesn't work" This is 100% wrong, and the reason why is just in the last TLP they created a server that was basically dead on arrival in Vaniki. There is no data, or some master case study they're using. What they are finding out is that enough people are going to play the TLP regardless of how bad it is, so they're using this as an ability to have people pay to "beta-test" stuff for them. The sample size for Vaniki is good enough, and regardless if the server fails in 90 days its enough time for them to beta-test these new concepts. Even Jennifer Chan admitted 3 weeks ago that they were using this TLP year to experiment with things for live. This also explains why they did not have another server lined up because they need people to test these updates for them, but what they didn't count on was the extreme amount of backlash that is happening. This is a seasonal experience for 80% of the player base, and the idea that they're trying to add longevity to it is mind blowing. Keep the TLPS exactly what they're and thats once a year you're getting a good 3-6 month player base, and make a decent amount of money. What they need not do is take that for granted and believe that players should have to pay to beta-test idea's for live for them.
  11. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

As of now only 1 TLP is being released/announced, right?

This month can't go fast enough, I want to play on a fresh TLP so bad haha
  12. Magneress Augur

The sky is not falling. It's 2023 and this is the internet.

Relax. Mischief is indeed a great server. It will be there through 2024. Maybe.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  13. Moforyguy12345 Augur

You have no idea what you are talking about. The devs literally said in this thread they are listening to our input. Which means they do not know what the community wants. Even though the majority expressed a mischief clone for over a year now.
  14. Trident Elder

In before all the posters championing this ruleset, who can't see beyond their nose, are back here crying about getting their names constantly jacked and eventually run off the server.
    Crabman and HuggyBear like this.
  15. HuggyBear Journeyman

It is going to be a bunch of casuals getting every single named locked with FTE before they can by all the try hards who know exact pop timers of every camps named. Saying you will move camps or zones is pointless as they will be there in that pick too.

All the fighting about the PL people I don't understand. Typically it comes around in Luclin and it starts with the deep. No one XPs in the deep because its garbage xp compared to GE and Ssra so it disrupts no one. Then they move on to PoI in planes, once again no one XPs there people go to plane of fire or disease mass pulls. Then you move to omens and they move to the back of RCoD which then normal groups head over to Splitpaw for leveling.

It is very disingenuous to say they interrupt or interfere with normal grouping. Some people join GDKP guilds just so they can get a few extra krono from raiding to give to these people so they can keep up. Not everyone is buying krono to throw at these people for leveling.

In my PERSONAL opinion I believe everyone of the people who are hating on the PL scene are the same people who are absolutely abhor krono even being around.
  16. Burdi Augur

Of course i have not read the 30 page before.
    I am nevertheless happy to see daybreak do a more casual server.
    But I wish it could be free trade.
    I think the encounter lock system will be a tremendous feature!
    I can’t wait to have it on live.
    Magneress likes this.
  17. Tyranthraxus Grognard

The point many of us saying this effects the spirit of eq are making is this.

In eq since its inception, if you are in proximity of an agressive mob, it will aggro you, that feels real.

With this change, that will only be the case if noone else had triggered the mob prior to you being within range. Mobs will only exist if they are standing at their spawn point. Thats an absurd change to the mechanics of the game. If you all are fine with that, I don't know what else to say. Thats not eq, thats fundamentally something else.

I don't train, I don't even box. I don't care if it's free trade or half xp, or double loot. Thats a terrible change. It's going to be massively exploitable and completely immersion removing.

Furthermore for the It's just one server argument. This is the "feature" they want to test to bring to live. Nothing else in this steaming pile of features needs testing. So if you choose to play this, your quite literally telling them your fine if this goes to live servers.
  18. ArtificialSoul New Member

Why is there so much talk about PLing? When did this become a problem? What's wrong with PLing? What's wrong with letting people play the game the way they want to play it? My guild usually has someone that offers PL services and the people who pay for it are the members who are working too much, have had a kid and can't keep up, or they just started and are excited to come raid but need to get viable and can't grind for 3 months. PLing is a net positive.

Disagree if you want but I will always advocate for letting people be free as long as they don't harm others.
  19. Magneress Augur

What is problem with it? It's inconsiderate and on occasion people do want to revisit those zones/spots. It inflates the economy. It's not the "purpose behind krono". It causes bad behavior/entittled behavior. It spams general chat instead of having a trade chat - kinda making general chat useless. I don't want to even block the pl'ers i'd prefer to be able to communicate with them, especially on the days they aren't doing the pl thing.

They mostly use automation and take the soul out of everquest --- or refuse to budge or communicate when a group of players is in the area - its a business and a highly automated one at that

a better option would be to make it less of a pain point for single character players to keep up with their guilds so they didn't feel the pressure to go get a PL or spend money on krono or plat or create a box army to farm plat and the hydra feeds itself....

it's not even necccissarily bad especially when guilds form PL groups and help catch up newbies and it does create a good social dynamic that doesnt really exist in modern games anymore because no one needs social support to 'catch up to current content'. Again I'm going to die on my its 2023 slightly sarcastic hill here... no one has time for this stuff anymore. A lot of us are simply nostalgiac and love this game, let us have a casual server please where the focus isn't being first in line and always BiS? some how? i don't know.. this probably won't solve the problem. It is for some of us a good experimental step in the right direction? At least for one TLP?

I do get the genuine fear that this will have a negative impact on the whole EQ verse at some point. FTE isn't an ideal solution. It is one of many solutions. --- the best game will figure out how to use FTE, DPS racing, instancing, personal loot, shared loot/list camps etc all interoperatively and at the right times and places to make the environment fun for everyone or at least serve different demographics. There is definately a slippery slope FTE is the hammer that is supposed to fix everything and then fundamentally the game is designed around it and loses some of its original appeal and nostalgiac grab. It's real. I get it. I really do. And people tend to be lazy even with the best of intentions. It's hard to optimize around that laziness.

FTE will do one thing tho - it will help A LOT with trains. It will not solve all of them. It's still possible to get into a spot where you will get a bunch of mobs coming back and resetting out of no where and zone disruption will happen. It will be less of a pain point tho when you don't have to CR every single time and you have a chance as an individual or at least to kinda bee in the same zone as those being toxic. (the best option is to leave and for GM enforcement to happen) and for the social contract of the server to shun exploiters and automators and ppl who are disruptive or mean or neglectful or just dont get along nice with anyone or dont care about anyone.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

So many assumptions.

PL is not inconsiderate but perhaps the players on your servers are if they are doing it 24/7 in a zone that is well populated. In fact I consider PL a help for new players to the game - and others of all levels really

It does not matter how they pay, I am sure no PL'er will turn down a like amount in plat if the other does not have a krono. So its not corrupting the Krono or the economy.

It does not cause "bad" or "entitled "behavior' - that would be in the person themselves, how they were raised, their social values. In other words it was already there.

It might spam chat (again on your server) but that is what the /ignore button is all about. Unblock them when you want to talk to them. And it is not stopping "a trade" chat. The two are not related.

Very few single players I know are even in a guild to do what you want them to and "keep up with their guilds" and guilds don't work that way anymore. They only want level 120s.

As far as "no one has time for this stuff anymore." that is right and that is why players PL.

(emote) feels like I am listening to Hootie 'cause the dolphins make me cry

I am not really for or against PL - I stay in my lane.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.