Persistent in-game stuttering since NoS Beta

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rexa, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

There is something that changed in the EQ game code structure or files, that I have never been able to pin-point since NoS Beta.
    --------------
    First, here are my system specs as per the system information page:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
    Installed Ram: 64GB
    Win Edition: Windows 11 Pro
    Version: 22H2
    Installed On: 11/‎27/‎2022
    OS Build: 22621.1413

My GPU: EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Super
    My Mobo: Asus Prime x570-Pro
    Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5 - 32 inch monitor - running at 60hz setting

I've been using the same hardware for the last 3 years, I think, now.

I have nothing but the default Windows Security and my entire drive with EQ and all games is on exclusion lists from scans/firewall settings. Just pointing it out before yet another person asks me about anti-virus.

Now granted, although my last win version was installed on 11/27 as per my system specs, I had whatever previous/current version whenever I initially was granted access to NoS Beta (think it was October 2022?).
    ------------
    Long Explanation of Issue:
    Ever since NoS beta access, my screen has stutters or persistent freezes lasting 1-2 seconds. Even if I sat still in the guild hall, I saw the stuttering (meaning, I wasn't turning with my mouse). It happens in any zone, doesn't matter if I am alone in a zone.

As a point that it stemmed since NoS, when I would go back to ToL (Live at the time - and regular EQ install folder) I had no issues. Fast-word to when NoS went live, all the problems I had in Beta plagued me again since. I was frequently complaining about to guild members during Beta and throughout NoS Live.

Actions I have taken:
    Brand new EQ installation folder (zero files carried over - UI, eqclient, etc) - didn't work
    Default-everything UI - didn't work (and I use default anyway, except for 1999 spell gems)
    Turned off everything (shaders, sky, whatever), including new armors - didn't work
    Logs are turned off anyway - I don't use them except on raids for GINA triggers
    Tried running eqgame in different compatibility modes - didn't work
    Created new level 1 characters to see if it's character/real-estate/whatever specific - didn't work

Other thoughts:
    The one thing I did notice, is that one "type" of window mode made the issue more pronounced than an another - but did not eliminate the problem at all. I am unfortunately at my wits end. I don't spend a lot of time logged into EQ anymore because it's just so problematic and becomes unbearable to play for long periods of time.

I've played a lot of other games no issues: New World, Lost Ark, Diablo: Remastered, etc.

I was convinced at one point that it might have something to do with spells and/or bard songs, but I went into an empty alt-guild hall and in other empty zones, and it still persisted.

I also went as far as creating level 1 characters, spending about half hour at a time in game (not touching any settings/windows/tabs) with each one after playing around with any changes, new install, etc and the issue still persisted. I have five different accounts with various characters/classes plagued with the same issues, so it's ruled out that it's not character specific.

-------------------------------

I am really not sure what to do anymore. It's been exactly half a year since NoS Beta that I am going through this. I would love any advice. What was it that changed in NoS that created this problem, I wish I knew. Some folks have told me it could be windows 11 related and the game changes since the NoS expansion just simply not playing nice with it.
    Moirraine likes this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

3. Avaalon New Member

4. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

You know what, that option changed in windows 11. It was enabled. I had it disabled from the past in win 10. I will try it again and see.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The beta folder I had bled over to any install of eq I had and caused issues. When I uninstalled the beta everything cleared up. They were in separate folders and I thought it would not make a difference but something in the beta must be affecting the regular files for some of us.
  6. UnnamedPlayer Elder

What BIOS version are you running? You can use cpu-z if you're unsure.

If you're using an older BIOS (older than 4403) and you upgraded to Windows 11, you'll probably get the fTPM stutter.
    Rexa likes this.
  7. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

As an update, I disabled the game mode - I even rebooted. I logged back into the game, it was the same thing. Noticed it within a minute of logging into the game.

BIOS info:
    Brand: American Megatrends Inc
    Version: 3001
    Date: 12/04/2020

Is this helpful?

I appreciate the replies guys, maybe something will work, lol

I am curious though why this is not affecting other games - assuming, you think it's the BIOS?
  8. UnnamedPlayer Elder

I don't know the answer to why it isn't affecting other games. There are a lot of other fixes (including the fTPM fix) if you scroll through the different BIOS that have released since version 3001. It's up to you to decide if that could be a cause or not and whether you want to update the BIOS or not.
    Rexa and Nniki like this.
  9. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

I am downloading the latest bios and I will give it a try! Will let y'all know shortly what happens :D
  10. UnnamedPlayer Elder

okay I hope it works! Remember that your BIOS settings might get reset when you update/flash it. So if there's anything you specifically changed you may want to remember/take a picture of it.

Usually things like case fan settings, setting you had to change to get Resizeable Bar working, sometimes loading memory XMP profile, etc.
    Rexa and Nniki like this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This is something I just read on another EQ forum where someone has almost the same issue. They mention the resizable bar and they were saying that they may need to disable it in their PC Bios before EQ would run well.

Odd that my removing the beta copy cleared all that buggy stuff I had going on.
    UnnamedPlayer likes this.
  12. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

I truly don't know how to thank you enough. It worked. [Edit: I just spent over an hour] running through POK buff piles, various zones, guild hall, etc. I even turned back on settings that I missed for a long time - like low density particles for myself (I had them off even though nothing helped before).

I really, really thank you.

I didn't have a Fat32 drive or a thumb-drive laying around my house, so I had to run to the store. I had to do two incremental BIOS updates 3001 -> 3405 -> 4602. It was a relatively quick and painless process.

I hope this can get stickied somewhere. I surely can't be the only person affected by this here. There is no way I would've known this was related to requiring a bios update since the bios patch came in 05/2022 and NoS Beta was in Oct.
  13. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

14. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

As an update, I've happily been logged in for hours with zero issues. Yay!
    UnnamedPlayer and CatsPaws like this.