If the real reason for FTE is to stop AoE PL...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tranced, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Tranced Lorekeeper

Then why don't we just remove the enchanter's ability to infinitely scale? They have overbloated kits that dominate the first 2+ years of a TLP as it stands.

Seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier to put a target cap on PBAE stun than implement this FTE "solution". Not to mention we all fully expect FTE to be exploited by cheaters for profit; probly the same ones who were cheating to run an enchanter army for PLing.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That would be a major nerf for later expansions to fix something in the early ones.
    Ulrin and Appren like this.
  3. Trunch New Member

Punishing a class for bad design isn't the answer. You don't have to make multiple post trying to get enchanters nerfed.
    Sinisterx likes this.
  4. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Add an aa line for enchanters adding extra targets for their ae's. Problem solved in early era and negated in later.

Minor nerf to solve a problem vs fundamental change in core game mechanics, hmm
  5. Zansobar Augur

FTE removes training, both intentional and unintentional. AOE PL removal is just one aspect and probably not the largest impact the devs were aiming for.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. code-zero Augur

Even supposing that the vast majority of trains are purely accidental, which IMHO is a real stretch, trains can and do cause lots of problems.
  7. Zansobar Augur

Trains are a hallmark of Everquest gameplay.
    KronoCatcher likes this.
  8. Shakara Augur

If FTE actually negates training that might be worth it by itself.
  9. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

I don't think that's the intent at all. Powerleveling services will exist regardless of the available methods since there will always be a market for it. These people do it for a living, I'm sure they already have alternative methods planned out if there's no way to adapt their current method to the new ruleset. The real question is will their alternative methods be more or less obnoxious for normal players than them monopolizing some zone that legitimate players rarely visit.
  10. Tranced Lorekeeper

Is that worse than fundamentally changing the way the game works with FTE?
  11. Tranced Lorekeeper

You're right, let's change core game mechanics instead, lol?

Also, this is literally my first thread ever so.... calm down buddy enchanters are still going to be viable if they lose 50 target stun in luclin.
  12. Thatoneguy666 Elder

of course we don't know because Daybreak doesn't bother explaining their insane plans to us plebs....

But in my heart of hearts, I truly don't think AOE PLing was something they were really considering with this. It's more of a less iet's even the field and get rid of DPS racing. I honestly believe that, and of course it cannot be proven, but it wouldn't shock me AT ALL if they hadn't even really considering the other side of the coin. They rarely do.

Being able to PL a character is heck of a lot more than just professional 4-enchanter rotation AOE stun paid services. So, so much more.

I have power leveled many of my friends or their alts, and in turn have them PL me many times over the years. Because it's fun, and it's part of the game, and it has been since '99. And because it takes forever to try and catch up otherwise.

What you really need to do, is rehaul the AA and/or autogrant system, and I guarantee you professional PL services will be about 10x less popular.
  13. Ambee Elder

Except it doesn't remove training at all
  14. Zansobar Augur

Yes it does, it changes mob behavior to how it is in WoW.
  15. Tyranthraxus Grognard

The train will run past you and you can ignore the goblin horde because you are safe in your little solo mmo bubble of protection, that ravaging army of once proximity aggro red cons doesn't care you are there. The thrill and fear you once had to contend with that made EQ exciting has been replaced with a security blanket and a safe space. Unless of course you pull more than you can handle, no longer can you run for help, but you can train overtop of others, safe in the security that they also will be protected from your mistake, and the swarm of undead will just casually wave to them as they path back to their leash points. Turns out zombies aren't actually hungry, their just misunderstood.
    Thatoneguy666, KobalWR and YouDaGoob like this.
  16. Shakara Augur

I mean if the core game mechanics are bad then they should be changed. Is there any benefit to letting people train? I imagine DPG spends a decent amount of time going through videos of people weaponizing mobs to grief others. This might be a decent path to get rid of a problem and what are we losing from it?
  17. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Any semblance of a living breathing world, the last bit of immersion it was possible to find in eq? The vision?
  18. Vindar Augur

That thrill and fear was over a long long time ago, now it's more an inconvenience and annoyance.
    Ragnoruk likes this.
  19. YouDaGoob Lorekeeper

Id like to see them get rid of all fighting. I have severe PTSD from watching the news and all this fighting isnt good for my mental health
    Magneress likes this.
  20. Vindar Augur

Yes I agree, end all combat and make all servers RP.
    Magneress and YouDaGoob like this.