What I Thought Oakwynd Would Be:

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Heirauz, Apr 7, 2023.

1. Heirauz Journeyman

I had a few theories when the TLP was first announced and I figured they *could* be fun, but instead we got what Oakwynd is, and gotta say it's honestly kind of lack luster.

Any combination of the following:
    Free loot
    Random loot
    All races/classes combos
    Shorter lockouts
    AAs from the beginning and all are available
    No rec/req lvl items
    Variable/scaleable encounters with variable/scaleable loot (like doing MM at lvl 1 in PoP would be kinda funny)

Anything like that, I would personally love to see a server like that, just something ridiculous.
    No PK Please and Appren like this.
  2. Jakken Journeyman

Those all sound awful tbh. But still better than what we got
    Thatoneguy666 likes this.
  3. Lumiens Augur

I like the idea of FTE since it will eliminate all of the people selling AE power levels and stop higher levels from pulling trains of mobs to pwr lvl alts. The server seems to be more about leveling up alts in pugs.
    Magneress, No PK Please and Krykinn like this.
  4. MischiefTLP Augur

It doesn't stop PL, form raid, gather mobs, everyone is flagged to affect mobs, disband raid so the AFK group stays intact, kill mobs and repeat.
    Pizzanomicon likes this.
  5. Pizzanomicon Augur

So you like the idea of devs investing time into a worthless server for an issue you don't like that absolutely never affects you once ?

Hell I'm sure you looted lucid shards from a PL'er at least a few times xD.

You do realize because people can just force their own picks to appear, that it never has to impact your gameplay whatsoever. I wouldn't say that's a good reason to like a server.

Just wait for the hardcore trolls who roll bards just to keep people from killing mobs xD. I'll wait with my popcorn.
    Go Take A Nap likes this.
  6. Shakara Augur

That's a lot of micro managing and we are still not sure if that will even work. Like with DPS if you drop raid your DPS no longer counts so if you drop raid or group with the tagger then you might lose your FTE flag as well.
  7. MischiefTLP Augur

Right, don't know for sure how it will work maybe Dread will DT, go invulnerable, full reset and repeat.
  8. Obliteration Elder

It does effect casuals and less casual players.

Without afk power levelling people will once again have to actually play their character to progress, there will be more groups and people playing.

AFK power levelling is really bad for the game and the community as a whole.
  9. Obliteration Elder

This and at least people couldn't afk while xping, they could have to at the very least join and leave raids and while that is a very low bar it's still better than no bar whatsoever because no one is at the PC
  10. Pizzanomicon Augur

You're acting like actual leveling takes any real time with a group of people who all have at least 80 IQ each ?

People afk PL'd long before kronos existed ( I would know, I played back in 99.) It's a part of literally every MMO ecosystem.

You cannot prove that big PL'ers impact casual players at all. If they are in their own pick, where there are 3-5+ picks of that zone on average ( most PL zones are pretty popular areas overall outside of POI and no one cares about that place anyway,) then the solution is to just not go in that pick and go to 1 of 5 + other pickzones.

and if your logic is that " it impacts casual players because they have less people to play with," NEWS FLASH," most people getting AFK pl's are a lot smarter than you and they wouldn't group with you anyway.

Your logic here is basically the same as, WAHH I'm offended this guy said mean things to me, but I won't put him on ignore because WAHH.

This system you think that's gonna improve your play experience is just going to end up getting you trolled, then ya'll will come cry about that too ;).

It's a harsh reality, but someone has to let you in on the secret..... that's not really secret.
  11. Obliteration Elder

Getting your friends some xp while they afk to make a sammich or you do so to return a favor is much different than some loser playing a bunch of toons to sell AE xp to people for plat/krono.

I think everyone who has played EQ knows the difference, other than you it seems.

The fact that there are a ton of people using afk PL'ers is the evidence that it's a problem.

I'm not offended at all, it's just become a serious issue which the game is trying to fix by adding this change, glad to see this change as it's a huge positive and I can't wait to try the new TLP in May as the ruleset looks amazing,

If something bothers me in game I do what I always do, be better than them or go elsewhere, crying gets you nothing in game nor IRL
    Zrender likes this.
  12. YouDaGoob Lorekeeper

The people buying plvls will not be buying xp pots instead and playing lol.
  13. YouDaGoob Lorekeeper

I cant believe how out of touch people are. Theres a reason a small group of people still play this game each year, and its not to suddenly have the game turn into the equivalent of candy crush. Thanks, give us an everquest server and tell whoever came up with this absokutely stupid idea (yes, even if it was the great J Chan) to pound sand. Then again, finally ruining the franchise for real could be exactly what a lot of us need to stop coming back.
    Thatoneguy666 and Pizzanomicon like this.
  14. Shakara Augur

PLers being successful is a symptom of EQ inadequate catchup mechanics. if PLers are being successful it is a sign that there is a design flaw. The best course of action to level should never be to sit afk somewhere while someone does all the work. How to handle that situation is a little harder to execute and can be handled two different ways.

The way we are sing here is by essensialy "nerfing" PLing. By making PLing less efficient it closes the gap between traditional grouping and PLing thus pushing more people to group in a standard way. Which is a good. We do not want PLing its not good game design. However PLing is not inherently evil in that it may be keeping people from not playing the game entirely. Some people want to raid and hang out with their friends but not have the time to level traditionally so they PL. If they cant get their xp by PLing they may just not play at all which is worst.

The second and better method imo would be to buff traditional groups so people rather group than PL. If xp is easy enough to get by traditional grouping people wont PL because well PLing is kinda boring.
    Thatoneguy666 likes this.
  15. Kahna Augur

Until the PLer decides that one zone is not enough and just pick hops through multiple zones and mass pulls 3 picks worth of mobs. Happens all the time. I have been forced out of more than one leveling area because of pick hopping PLers.

And, for what it is worth, I hate the mass pulling in PoI more than any other zone. I always have a gnome and that zone is critical to leveling tinkering.
  16. Go Take A Nap Augur

Im sorry , this is just not true. You cant force people to be social today. Outside of guild activity you rarely see most players. Specially with pick zones. I've never put LFG up once on ANY TLP.

There are no groups for various reasons:

*People hate leveling over and over. We've done it a million times now and just want to be raid level. This is when the game really starts.
    *Enjoy the ride mentality ends after the initial launch rush. After that its all about raiding.
    *We group with friends or guild mates that are trusted only. I personally dont pug, i hate to play with randoms generally as they are frequently AFK and tend to not participate for long enough to justify the long waits for them to arrive, getting lost, or causing wipes.
    *Most grouping after classic is progression content, im not getting your keys for you ...id be focusing on grouping with guild mates to help progress our guild.
    *Players plan their launch groups with trusted players from their guilds.

If you want a group, prove yourself and join a community. Pugging is dead for a reason.

Lastly I will note that there is a group of players, who knows how large, that dont have time to play EQ but love the game. I know a few military players that fit in this demographic and barely keep up as is. These players are not lazy but have demanding lives. Devoting extra time to smell the roses isnt an option. Instead getting max level asap to raid with their guild is main priority.
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I'm sure that forcing the 20 people on a server that pay for PLing to play will mean they are available to group with you, rather than just not playing, right?

This whole "scourge" of powerleveling is such a joke of a strawman.
    Thatoneguy666 and Pizzanomicon like this.
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

PLing is "successful" if you consider "successful" being some neckbeard living with their mom making a couple hundred bucks a month selling PL/krono/epics to a handful of players that would rather dump a couple bucks on something to get it done in a day or two versus using what little play time they have to play the same content over and over.

I mean, based off what I was last told people buy krono for on black sites, you would need to make like 10,000 krono a year to make a basic living that probably wouldn't even pay for normal expenses. How many people do that? 1 in all of eq?

Most people that do this spend 30-60 hours a week doing it for what becomes minimum wage or less, for "extra" money. I mean, more power to them I guess, but its not like these guys are rolling around in lamborghinis or something.
  19. Shakara Augur

I meant successful as it is the fastest way to gain experience.
    Crabman likes this.
  20. YouDaGoob Lorekeeper

This post is clearly not a very smart post. 10 per krono easy would be 100,000. How far do you think 100,000 usd goes in third world countries? My guess.... far?
    Pizzanomicon likes this.