EverQuest Producer’s Letter April 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I play on FV as my main server. I would rather see everything that's tradable on FV but not on other Live servers be Heirloom instead on a "Legacy theme" server. There are a few (very few) items that should always remain No Trade (such as the Epics) but for the rest, Heirloom instead of No Trade would be good. Like the Legacy bonuses, it would have the potential to encourage single boxing.

Re. Legacy bonuses, these will also be helpful when the races and classes unlock with later expansions. Level up something and switch to another of a preferred race/class would be a lot easier. However, I do think the bonus should be permanent rather than zero out with a level increase.
  2. kliqIMB Elder

This isn't an easy fix and it isn't how proper A/B testing is done. You can't just setup two different rulesets against each other because there are several different variables that could be the reason for players playing one over the other. It's clear, IMO, that FTE is the real "experiment" with this year's TLP, so if you wanted to do multiple servers you would simply do a copy/paste on all other ruleset items and then have FTE enabled on one and disabled on the other. However, as I've talked about previously, this isn't really a good test of player sentiment either because there's an entire contingent of the player base that wouldn't even experience FTE, thereby their opinion on FTE is purely speculative and based only in their out-of-game anecdotes.

Truly, the best option to "test" FTE is for DPG/DBG to ensure there's a proper "rollback" mechanism for Oakwynd if things go horribly wrong. Whether that's a full disabling of FTE after Classic, moving FTE to only be certain high-level targets, or something else entirely would be up to how much they want to invest in acceptance testing for this feature.
    Magneress likes this.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

I suspect what they'll do is just add Free Trade to the server, while keeping the FTE. That way, they can point to the popularity of the server (because of Free Trade, and not FTE) as the justification for putting FTE on the Live servers...eventhough that's not the actual reason people play on it.

I don't think their egos will allow them to reverse course and do away with FTE. They REALLY don't like to admit they were wrong about anything.
    Koshk likes this.
  4. Kahna Augur

To be fair, they have admitted they were wrong and changed course on a number of occasions

Ragefire/Lockjaw they said no instances ever it's not EQ. Then Phinny happened.
    They said Pickzones would only be for newbie zones at first, they changed that ruling as the masses leveled up.
    Mangler/Selos they got completely wrong and they had the rulesets changed within a week of the announcement.
    Aradune was supposed to be PoP locked like Agnarr, they admitted that was a bad idea and changed it.
    They made adjustments to the Vaniki ruleset based on feedback.

They do listen, and they do change. No, the community isn't going to get everything it wants 100% of the time, but that is mostly because the community is a diverse place and none of us wants exactly what the other peeps want.
  5. Tappin Augur

If they push this to live, I wouldn't be shocked if we get another Gribbles 2.0 response.
  6. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

Daybreak also changed Mischief's loot tables a few times too.

A lot of players act like this game is broken beyond comprehension, yet the majority of them are demanding small changes to make the game "perfect." They are replacing preference with absolutes. It's how they find their fun, so that is how it is.

I've left a lot of games in my rear view mirror, so Daybreak is obviously doing more right than wrong here. A lot of us are still here.
  7. Tappin Augur

They're clearly in the wrong with FTE and there is just no valid excuse for it.
    Siah and Kunfo like this.
  8. Moforyguy12345 Augur

Only reason I'd be in oakwynd at all is to exp first hand how bad the trolling is. After that I'd be done. But I dunno if it's even worth it for 1 month. Especially classic again for the 100th time
    Siah likes this.
  9. Amtor New Member

I´d would like to see another locked Server at DoD. But this new announced tlp sounds not as a deal for me :(
  10. bartolomo Noxious Iksar

I love this game, and I don't agree with how this went down, but its like no one is giving them a chance to go back to the drawing board. You want them to livestream thoughts in real time? Thats kind of like talking about the movie you are about to watch and someone tells you how its going to go down. I do wish that there was a little Umph put into this, I know the dev's were excited. Sorry we crapped all over your party, We'll clean up afer this mess is over. Just do you best with what you got fellas. And throw the sharks a bone every once and a while before the weekends over but i think yall are out!
  11. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Why can't they just have the mobs choose who they belong to?
  12. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Looks like a solid attempt to address a number of issues. I imagine most of the agnst against FTE is from people who box heavily for kronos or sell PL services. No matter what they do, there will always be some playr who tries to exploit whatever they do.
    Magneress and Rijacki like this.
  13. Go Take A Nap Augur

30 pages of debate show a wide range of issues and concerns with FTE. Players are a bit dubious after Vaniki Flop last year too. Personally I dont want to pay to be a beta tester for something that breaks the spirit of EQ more than anything previously changed.

The empty guild recruitment forum speaks for itself. We started recruiting the second day of announcement when Mischief news came out.
  14. Zansobar Augur

I don't understand why when they are considering certain changes to the game they can't put these ideas out in the forums before they start working on them so the players can give their feedback. It seems like it takes the player base to point out all the issues with the changes as DPG doesn't seem to know the game enough to predict the impacts on play. It was like this with Vaniki last year and relaxing the spell resist level ranges...all the players could tell this would just overpower charm but the devs seemed to not understand that.

This change is trying to make the game more like WoW to lower the CS tickets they receive about disruption due to AoE PL, training, and mage box armies KS'ing mobs. But in the end it makes the game way less dangerous (which is a cornerstone of what makes EQ, EQ). It also further reduces the impact others have on you hence reducing the social element of the game another notch or three.
  15. Zansobar Augur

I don't do any of those things but I can see the huge issues with these changes and that isn't even getting into the exploits that will arise.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They did post that they are listening to our feedback and they are preparing a response which will include more information about the first to engage rules and what it means.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Magneress like this.
  17. Tappin Augur

Sound like people don't want an explanation of rules - They want it completely removed and promptly deleted.
  18. Ehrz Journeyman

FTE Sounds like a bad Add to a 24 year old game It would not even feel like EQ anymore
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure, but that doesn't mean that Daybreak is going to throw away all the work they have been doing on this because people don't like a couple sentence explanation.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Rygan11 Journeyman

FTE isn’t going to lower CS tickets. They are just going to be new CS tickets complaining of people using 3rd party software to engage first.