Mischeif still worth starting a fresh character?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by hein, Apr 7, 2023.

1. hein Augur

Greetings,

I'm thinking about starting completely fresh on Mischeif, but I was curious if the server is still thriving and worth starting a fresh character on?

What is the current expansion and level cap?
    Are there classes that are considered OP in this current era that might be fun to play?

Just looking for some general input. thanks!
  2. Zapsos Augur

Mischief is still going strong, and has a healthy population.

Currently they are on TSS, level cap is 75.

Monks are still very strong, but they will fall off over the next couple of expansions. Bards, Mages and Zerkers are all gonna become quite potent over the next handful of expansions.

If the free trade and random loot ruleset appeal to you now is a great time to join Mischief.
    Kalipto and Appren like this.
  3. Kahna Augur

Yes, the server is bustling. Over 600 folks in the bazaar who would be overjoyed to sell you a lovely set of twink gear. Finding twink buffs in PoK is also easypeasy. 20+ raiding guilds still chipping away at the content. If you want to ride a server to live Mischief is, hands down, your best option.

Cap is 75, expansion is TSS. You have about a month before TBS.

Most guilds are recruiting just about everything, SK might have a hard time finding a spot, just because they are super common. Other than that just pick something with a playstyle you enjoy. Melee are still king but that changes moving forward, casters picked up some in this expansion and will only continue to get better. If you want to go heals druid might be a good choice. They are super rare because they were the worst healer for so many expansions, but that also starts changing right around now.
  4. Critt Augur

Started there about a month and a half ago, had 0 problem finding buffs, gear and people to play with..The community is actually pretty nice over all. Definitely a fun place.
  5. Gnomie Denser than most

Well to put it into perspective on population. Right now at 2:18 pm EST on a weekday.

Yelinak (Last years TLP) has 341 people in General chat; and only one active General Chat.
    Mischief Has 3 general chats at 400, 398, and 18.

I know General chat isn't a great way to determine population, but Mischief is definitely still thriving. We had about 50 people in General chat by this stage on Coirnav.

Plus Mischief is in TSS, so the live xp and hotzones are active. We are about to enter some of the best expansion eras in EQ. About to hit TBS, then SoF / SOD which are both amazing expansions.
  6. 93_Combine Journeyman

fake news.
    General chat has 400,309 and 63 in the first 3 channels. not mischief but not too shabby..

Yelinak is still populated and a good server to start fresh on. pop/ldon, god this month. This terrible new tlp is only going to help it continue forward.
  7. Zansobar Augur

If you like playing in those expansions that Mischief is entering, then it should be fine. Yet another benefit of the free trade ruleset is it is easy to catch up for new players or players that take a long sabbatical.

For those of us that want to play in earlier expansion we will have to wait until DPG comes to their senses.
  8. hein Augur

Is the Necro fairing well right now in TSS and upcoming expansions?
  9. Sakuraba Augur

Necro should be pretty stable in all expansions, especially on Mischief what with the access to better farming for pet focus items.
  10. TLP Addict Augur

11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Thornblade good if you prefer less crowds. Its about where other TLPs have been at this age, which is surprising, honestly. Mischief definitely more bustling.
  12. TheRealMuramx Elder

It all depends. You can buy BiS all the way to the top so catch up isn't bad. Buuut....

Everything is expensive. Like ridiculously over priced. You won't find any of the real good stuff in the Baz because the economy is based on the Kronos and plat is virtually useless except for some twink items and middle of the road type gear. You want that BiS mask 5 or, that chest 6kr, the weapon... 10kr.

The server is very top heavy because it is free trade. So you won't see many people outside of the end game stuff except boxers and PLers. So be ready to do a whole lot by yourself especially early on and it doesn't get much better at the top.

Once you get to the end game raiding is a must. You can use plat to buy KR and use the KR to supplement what you can't get on raids and it makes. If you don't then you will be way behind everyone or spending lots of cash to keep up. Find a raiding guild and find a clique quickly.

If you don't plan on raiding 3 nights a week or being a whale with your wallet... Mischief isn't for you.
  13. Loki4567 Lorekeeper

Don't let Muramx rain on your parade.

Yes, low level grouping can be a bummer, until at least 51 when you can group with lvl 75's, but there are a fair number of lower level players running around. Twink gear is plentiful, and thanks to free trade there's a ton of stuff that you wouldn't ordinarily see that don't have Rec/Req levels.

People are helpful, and yes, joining a decent raiding guild, or making a few friends never hurts. One of the quirks of the randomized loot is that you don't *have* to be in a raiding guild to get raid gear. There's a ton of stuff that can be done with 1-2 groups of friends.

The community is generally supportive, and the true edgelords are all on the foh forums chugging four locos and hotpockets and getting ready for another classic launch in a few months.

So do what you would do on any server, make friends, kill things, have fun. You can pay to win, but I wouldn't recommend it. You don't really need to; there's a ton of second string gear that's an expansion or two old that is ridiculously cheap. Current era gear gets cheap towards the end of an expansion. Money isn't hard to make; this is one of the better eras to come back to, on the busiest server to come back to with the most forgiving ruleset.
    Appren likes this.
  14. Zhazra New Member

Coming back to Mischief was something I was thinking about doing after seeing what this year's TLP looked like. I decided to jump back into Mischief and leveling an alt has been a breeze because of the crazy amounts of twink gear. Catch up doesn't seem to be an issue and that always feels like the largest hill to climb.
    Appren likes this.
  15. Rygan11 Journeyman

You don’t need Krono or to raid for 3 days a week on this server at all. Find a guild , make some friends. I’ll roll up alts to play with new players and go traditionally level with them. It’s fun. Lots of folks have gear sitting around to give to new players , a few plat to go shop in the bazaar for leveling gear. Exp bonus is live right now. Super fast to catch up.
  16. Kalipto Augur

Mischief is THE server to be on. It'll be the first and perhaps only (at this rate) TLP server to maintain a healthy population all the way to live. I've long since wanted to get back into the live game, but the only way to really do it, is to ride a TLP till it gets there.

Mischief is just now at the point in expansions where most of the classes really start to get into their own stride. By Underfoot (December 2023) the classes should feel fairly fleshed out and pretty well balanced too. With obvious ebb and flows. Not to mention, some of the best expansions are coming up soon. SoD anybody?

If you want to play EQ but are intimidated by the bloat of live and aren't interested in playing the first 5 boring expansions that we've all played 100 times, then definitely check things out on Mischief!
  17. Kahna Augur

This is so wildly incorrect that it is laughable. You can find an entire set of gear decent enough to get your foot in the raid door scene with a single krono, and still have funds left over. I know because I literally did this just before TSS came out. TSS still has a month to go and I have already replaced almost every single item with in era raid gear and I got it all through DKP, oh and we only raid 2 times a week AND I only have a 60% RA. Yeah I picked up most of my items after everyone else did but I still got them in era.

Mischief is top heavy because every server is top heavy in TSS. But you can buy good enough gear (still for just that one krono) and get enough buffs to get you through the solo slog fairly painlessly. Especially with exp bonus this weekend.

I solo on my mage and can kill a shocking number of things just messing around. There is plenty you can do solo or small group, and with a half way decent guild you can find at least one or two folks to help you with those things you can't solo.

Fortunately there are oodles and oodles of raids guilds to choose from. You won't have any trouble finding one that fits your playtime and style.
    Appren likes this.
  18. TheRealMuramx Elder

I love it when people want to prove you so wrong that they infact confirm everything you said.. so let's start shall we.

19. Kahna Augur

Your doom and gloom statements were over the top hyperbole. I gave a far more realistic view of the server. You stated if you weren't using krono to supplement your raid gear you would be behind the power curve, not true at all. You also stated that you need to either raid 3 nights a week or be a whale to get decent gear, also completely untrue.

Mischief is a casual's playground. Easy to come back, easy to catch up, easy to get gear with minimal effort/expense. 1-2 raid nights a week of less than 2 hours a night is hardly some crazy unreasonable time commitment for raiding. My experience isn't some one off situation either. Pretty much everyone who has joined (or rejoined) my guild in the last 3 months has had exactly the same experience. Mischief is not the Kronofest part-time job that you are trying to make it out to be.

I don't know what Mischief did to you for you to be so bitter towards it.
  20. TheRealMuramx Elder

Did you use Kronos to get where you are? Yes.
    Do you raid? Yes.

That's my point thanks for clearing it up.

It's always the Mischief players that think the server is some utopian? You get mad when someone tells it like it is. I have would have stayed on the server if real life didn't catch up.

Don't get mad because someone tells them the woods are dark and scary at night but if your willing to pack a lantern and supplies it's not bad. Sorry I am not going to tell someone the woods have rainbows, unicorns and free puppies... When it just isnt true.