Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Demetri Augur

Oh they're all me, I live in a mainframe building and they're all my boxes.

I do so love this modern age where everything is what someone thinks with any type of random conspiracy theory to suit it, rather than actually looking for true evidence of their claim.

While I truly do box 3 (and wife does as well) from the folk I've gotten to know we're in a grand minority. 2-boxers aren't uncommon, but anything over isn't that frequent.
    Zrender likes this.
  2. Gorg00 Augur

Who cares?
  3. Zrender Augur

Weird flex. I assumed everyone knows that. I was responding with what will likely be the goto with FTE. Assuming that an oog druid/brd/shm/etc that did no damage would still have locked the encounter to themselves just by pulling, thereby eliminating the best method. So, you two have created a strawman and then patted each other on the back for having 1337 knowledge. Hilarious.
  4. Demetri Augur

Well the quote I had responded to there and QUOTED was that "no guild leader or raid leader would be cool with this"...

So obviously that person did, since they used it as a primary part of their assertion.
  5. Trident Elder

Son. What? o_O
  6. code-zero Augur

The explanation for First to Engage is fairly obvious and leaves little room for ambiguity, only wishful thinking

Whenever I check server status I almost always see Yelinak with a HIGH population making me suspect that some people have a different definition of 'dud' than I do

There are usually 4 non-TLP servers that are at HIGH population with Zek being the only non-TLP that isn't usually at medium which makes me think that "live" is indeed quite live.

Rizlona is always MEDIUM
  7. Zrender Augur

Keep flailing at that strawman. It's fun to watch.
  8. Loscropos New Member

That’s entirely untrue.
    I have played in guilds on the last 3 TLPs and a huge number of us 3 boxed.

Even then, your argument of 1200 people even at best would be 500 actual players.
    And that’s a stretch.
  9. Trident Elder

It's literally in the quotes I just posted. Wtaf are you talking about.
  10. Demetri Augur

Using the lowest part of the spread assuming everyone three-boxed, when I can quote for the guild's I've been part of over here there's been mostly solo folk. My experience on Phinny was more box-heavy though, but Mischief + Yeli have downshifted for the folk I've interacted with.

Like my current guild, active roster around 80 - two 5-6 boxers... five three boxers counting my wife and I... and a dozen or so 2-boxers.

(And mind you, most of us only part time the boxes - like raid hours? Mine are never or barring a rotting loot)
  11. Laurell_All Servers! New Member

Hi,

I raided on many many TLP servers as Laurel the cleric and Teacup the mage.

TLP servers its always been about the race to a raid mob and if others are there then the fun of dpsing racing it - one of the reasons the tlps servers are so popular. I really think FTE will destroy the fun.

Plus I should imagine you will get 100s of petitions daily to answer about people running around with mobs and no one able to do anything and whole zones in uproar over them and epic mob chaos too!!!

Please do not experiment on the tlp servers when your goal is to put something on live servers. Honestly if you want to do FTE put in servers after POP and experiment somewhere else.

If you can not change your FTE plans could you at least put a second server up ... give us another blast of mischief or anything other then FTE plz.

Please please please from a loyal Everquest player of over 20 years - dont destroy our TLP raiding fun.

Hugs
    Laurel
    Braelvenae and Thatoneguy666 like this.
  12. Thatoneguy666 Elder

Absolutely not what I said. Maybe there is one who is neutral. LOL. Great. What I actually said is that not one of them would consider RECOMMENDING something like this for a new TLP as any kind of a solution for anything. Which is 100% true. People who are actually invested in this game understand the real issues and even the worst of their ideas wouldn't be as tone deaf as this FTE thing.

Being willing to possibly consider tolerating something is not the same as advocating for it or recommending it.
  13. Demetri Augur

Honestly, I'd take his tone from here as him actually being an advocate for it, but I don't want to put words in his mouth. (Magician9001 for the record)
  14. TheRealMuramx Elder

Telling you all to boycott this server. Last years were trash and this year's is a joke.

They are pushing that line to see how far they can go with "least amount of effort, max amount of profit." TLE doesn't solve anything for us but I bet you it will cut down on the petitions they go through for people KSing, training, etc...

You play on this server and it send them the message that this is acceptable. They had tons of ideas given to them about what people wanted. Some good some bad, but this server didn't even get into the realm of the bad ideas
    Jontrann and Thatoneguy666 like this.
  15. Gorg00 Augur

Is that the same Guild Leader who thought it was a good thing that they'd be on a standalone dead server after they hit live?
  16. Demetri Augur

While I'm sure it WILL reduce CS load if successful, I've got to imagine recoding such fundamental parts of EQ code is hardly as trivial as you imply.
  17. Aiona Augur

The only thing that players wouldn't be here whining and crying about is if they were given exactly what they asked for, and the majority seemed to ask for one or another variation of Mischief 2.0.

The problem with making free trade a regular thing every year is that it would require new paid CS position just to handle the increased ticket volume, which they don't have funds for last I heard, unfortunately.

It would be wonderful if it could be included on TLP's as a somewhat standard feature. But I don't think they could even if they wanted to.

Some of us are acting like DPG is sitting there thinking, "let's give them exactly what they don't want." But they have no reason to do that, and they care enough about the game, and their job, to do differently.

And not that it matters, but I feel that some of the comments being made about their recent TLP decisions have been out of line. But on the other hand, their lack of communication, clarity and transparency about the new TLP's ruleset, and their reasoning for them, and the lack of real testing with the community, is concerning, to say the least.

For those of you who have taken the time to give constructive feedback and thoughtful suggestions, thank you. Whatever their reason for this fiasco, I hope they listen and use it.

Last I heard DBG was composing a new FAQ's about FTE, but I don't think it has been released yet? That's a start in the right direction, but this information should have been made clear up front, on the first few pages of this thread. :confused:
    Demetri likes this.
  18. Demetri Augur

Not that I'm aware of - but I wasn't part of his guild so really didn't pay him exceptional amounts of mind. (We did banter rarely though)

And for every idea that comes out to tweak ANYTHING there's always doomcryers, and most of the time the doomcrying has been wrong.

I'm dubious that they can do everything to make TLE work in EQ1, but at the same time, I should be at a slow point in Yelinak to help spend some time giving input on what aspects it works well, and to criticize those that need changes.

I remember a decade or so ago when me and another forumite were first musing the idea that became pickzones and AoCs - and how we were told they were both IMPOSSIBLE TO DO (or to do correctly) and that they would "BREAK EQ" by damn near every player. Today, all those detractors have long since eaten crow though.
  19. Lawyer Augur

I am disappointed to hear about the FTE rules for the new TLP. As others have more eloquently stated on here, part of what made the original EQ unique against its later competitors (like WoW) was the DPS racing in the end game by the top guilds. And the competition for rares by groups DPSing/camping. That will be gone. Why wouldn't I just go play classic WoW and relive that, if I just want a nice, safe, padded experience?

FTE is just going to expose so many problems in a game engine/rules that were never designed for the concept. We already have AoC to address the biggest issues with open-world competition. Losing ALL open-world competition is just going to feel like a nerfed game.

Additionally, the FTE mechanism is going to be exploited, abused, and generally suck. Maybe someone in the last 70 pages (which I admit I didn't read yet) has already asked/answered this -- but the design of monk and bard is going to be really interesting for pulling and FTE. You're going to have a really hard time tuning this. And you'll be doing that tuning and bug fixing while a good portion of your audience is trying to re-live the old EQ feeling in the first expansions; not a time for the health of your server to be tuning what is arguably THE core mechanic: who gets the loot.

Yes, some will just be there for the new experience, and will love a WoW-FTE EQ. But I doubt their numbers eclipse the core people who keep coming back for those core rules, warts and all.

If you want to experiment with this, do it on Live.

Jahva the Mage, Ragefire
    Jahva the Rogue, Prexus
    + Alts

PS Also, start hiring remote developers/contractors. You've got a lot of C/C++/ex-MUD talent sitting around there that would like to help you, but we are too old to uproot our life to do it.
  20. Koshk Augur

o_O

First, sounds like a "jelly & peanut butter" versus "peanut butter & jelly" distinction.

Second, source/documentation?
    WeCameWeConquered and Crabman like this.