Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Aiona Augur

And you are calling others deluded? lol
    Zrender and Demetri like this.
  2. Mashef Augur

Originally, I was kind of intrigued by FTE. I retract my support. Sounds like its too big of an issue for the casuals and on a traditional server it will allow for extreme griefing of named mobs. Bards are always going to win for the most part as the mob will be engaged before it practically spawns.

I would like to see it on MOTM and epic mobs only. Add leashing of mobs to zones like Deep/POI/Guk/SolA to prevent the aoe PL is a better solve.
    Thatoneguy666 likes this.
  3. Baulkin Augur

I wonder if Memblur will cause a locked mob to reset. The mez used for rathe council has a 40% memblur chance... Kunark mezzes I believe are around 30%... and classic 1%. If it does work that way... I can cross Enchanter off my "maybe play" list.
  4. Ruhi Augur

9/10 complainers will still play on oakwynd if the rules dont change
    Zrender likes this.
  5. Faydra Augur

I really don't feel that's the case this time. There is like one small guild actually posted on the forums and that was done back in February. Basically unheard of at this point in the TLP announcement cycle.
  6. Mashef Augur

You really over-estimate re-rollers ability to play the same server over and over.

First there was Sleeper/Combine which was more creative then this server and actually kind of cool if it wasn't unlocked purely on the fastest unlocks possible. Bring back the unlock tree and track the 1st to unlock!

Ragefire/Lockjaw then resulted in a spinoff that brought us AOC - Phinny

Phinny resulted in Agnarr - a POP lock mirroring the old Mac server - was a lot of fun for 2 years - better shelf life then about any server until Mischief

Selos/Mangler were a little different. Selos was most popular at first - Mangler had a little shelf life but it was not popular.

Coirnav - phinny clone was a dud.

Yelinak - another phinny clone was a dud.

Aradune brought us Truebox and GM enforcement. This was the most populated server probably in the history of EQ. They try to replicate this with more Truebox but they don't realize the Pandemic ended and it won't ever be like that again.

Vaniki/Mischief were expirmental - Vaniki was a dud

Mischief - while not the peak populations of Aradune it is the most populated server duration wise in TLP history. It will have a healthy population rolling in to live unlike every server before it.

So your statement is false. People do not reroll unless something is worth rerolling for.

The basic clone servers...
    Coirnav/Mangler/Yelinak have all been total flops.
    Oakwynd is lumped in to this category. The unlocking perks take way to long to add up. It's just a regular server with some added bonuses way to late in the game to have any impact on the game.
    The alt perks? Wow - no one cares its not an ALT game. They did nothing to address exp rates/aoc lockouts for alts etc.

So no. The people will not reroll just to reroll.
    KobalWR, Brazy, Khanfu and 1 other person like this.
  7. bigzzz New Member

It's clear to me those that made the decision on this ruleset really don't know their community or how their game works these days.

Sure, they specifically said it's an experimental year, but if experimental means creating servers like this, then the objective must be to kill off the title finally.

Anyone who thinks FTE in this style MMO is the way, or even considering it to be a good idea should be removed from this industry effective immediately. FTE in EQ means absolutely no low level AoE PLing, which means people are not going to make alts, which means progression will end even faster than usual leaving people to leave the server even faster than usual. It's also the easiest way to troll players and groups. Classes with instant cast abilities and spells will dominate. Just think of a random group of players camping a named camp and an SK walks in and when the name spawns he pops a terror grabbing aggro before the group, in a normal setting the group that's been there can just out dps the SK and continue on, but now they have to sit there and watch this SK kill their named and are helpless. There are 100s of other examples of where this method can be used to troll folks.

There is a certain type of economy that exists on the TLPs, and by creating a server of this type 1 of 2 things will happen:

• You will have a dead server because you have effectively removed AoE PLing capabilities and allowed folks with instant spells and abilities to steal anything their heart desires without any repercussions of a DPS race.
    • You will draw the attention of all the casual players who don't like boxers, PL services, etc. (those that think this is a good thing are the casual players i'm referring to that clearly don't understand that the reason this game continues to receive updates, have a large enough team to support it, the ability to update their hardware, and continue pushing new TLPs every year comes from these types of players, whether you hate them or not, if they did not exist a lot of things this game does every year would start to fade away.) These casual players may enjoy this server, but you won't have any hardcore guilds on this server for a very long time. That means the economy of this server will be as dead as a live server or an abandoned TLP server and this will happen very early, probably as early as PoP or GoD. If this server is successful to the casual player, not only will it's economy be very weak, it will also cause economy issues on other TLP servers. There is a balance between hardcore and casual players that makes the economy flow well for successful servers, by having a large population of the casual base on a server of this nature you aren't just hurting this server, you are hurting other current and future TLPs.
    If you disagree with this, you simply don't understand how economy works in this game.
    Moving on, this is EQ not EQ2, this game is far superior to EQ2 and brings in more revenue than EQ2, so stop trying to pull mechanics and gameplay from EQ2 to EQ, there is a reason this title is more successful.
    The FTE (what you seem to have attempted to rename a 25 year old term to Encounter locking) is just so bad. If you realistically aren't able to look at how this game works and think that FTE is good idea, or even a decent idea, please stop being involved in the decision making for this game title.
    The rest of the ruleset isn't bad, the multiple max characters per account thing should just be removed because the majority of players on TLPs have multiple accounts with max characters instead of multiple max characters on the same account. The fact you haven't pulled the metrics on this clearly shows you really don't have a good understanding on your player base. Buy hey, add it if you want, but a very low percentage on the player base will utilize this system.
    The evolving part of the server is a neat idea, I think the first exp modifier should be earlier than SoD, and a few other slight adjustments to the order, but the concept is cool.
    As for as how to make this a very successful server;
    • Remove FTE.
    • Add Random loot
    • Add Free Trade
    Those 3 adjustments are enough to make this a very successful server. Skipping the random loot/free trade last year made sense as Mischief is the most successful server of all time, so letting it cook an extra year was a wise business move. There are a lot of folks that either missed that train or don't enjoy the expansions that server is starting to reach and want those features again.
  8. Khanfu Elder

Yeah. I believe Aradune was pandemic, not the ruleset. A pleasant anomaly.
  9. Ruhi Augur

coirnav/mangler/yelinak had guilds clearing content classic-pop
    oakwynd isn't like the other 3 - it literally has perks, taking way too long is your opinion - it has the experimental fte (game changing for better or worse)
    alt perks - people play alts, because you dont play alts and don't care doesn't means it's not a benefit to those that do play alts - projecting your playstyle as the norm when people play this game differently

so yes. the people will reroll to reroll because there's a subset of folks who enjoy classic through pop and every tlp that's started in classic has had a population of multiple guilds clearing all the content.

the hustle and bustle of a new server where everyone starts over and low level zones are hoppin' - people like that experience - even if they don't like the rules - they will play - otherwise, why the emotional distress of rules you dont like when there are a multitude of servers with other rules? -> those other servers aren't fresh.
  10. Demetri Augur

FYI - for a point of reference for anyone who doesn't know (which is likely many of you) - Magician9001 and I were both relatively big dogs (he the bigger dog) from cradle to grave for Phinigel, we've seen it all for the doomcrying and such.

As well as the hyperbolic nonsense.

PS - How you been doing these days, Dima?
  11. Zinkeh Augur

I could get on board with this if they'd move a bunch of the "bonuses" back to fit them into Classic - PoP because very few TLP make it past Pop with any real population. They're bonuses that the vast majority of the population will not experience so it's fairly silly to stretch them out so far. There are always guilds that will push on past the PoP era but on each server that might be just one or two guilds when it's all said and done. The meat and potatoes of TLP's has been and will always be that run from Classic to Planes of Power/Ldon/Yak, etc. If daybreak keeps ignoring this fact we're gonna see another population drop, and this one might be terminal. Yelinak was the first TLP out of the ones I've been on since Phinny that felt significantly smaller in overall population almost from launch.
  12. Demetri Augur

Weird, playing there right now and we're still hitting 3-4 General chats with relative frequency... so in the 1200+ range of players minimum (assuming all have general chats on, which is usually closer to 30-50% in my XP)
    Zrender and Magician9001 like this.
  13. Ayar New Member

haha, stupid me reading the new rule set and thinking it sounds awesome only to come to the forum and see everyone crying (just like every year). Personally I'd like to see the exp buff be just a bit more because I definitely made use of the PLers to level alts to save time, but beyond that I think it sounds great.
    demilich, Aiona, Zrender and 3 others like this.
  14. Crabman Augur

people are simply pointing out the flaws in "encounter locking"
  15. Demetri Augur

You forgot the caveat of *Assuming it works exactly like we presume sight unseen with just the general title of the concept known.
    Zrender and Magician9001 like this.
  16. Crabman Augur

i mean did you read the producers letter... it spells out pretty clearly how its going to work...

and i am just absolutely starstruck that you are such a big dog on phinny. let me kiss your feet real quick and agree with everything you say. thats what you wanted by posting that right?
    Thatoneguy666 and Tyranthraxus like this.
  17. Trident Elder

We do not have all the details, but we are also 68 pages in and I've yet to see a credible idea or explanation of how they will handle oog/oor healing.

You've gotta figure there's only so many actual possibilities of implementation. The oog are completely immune from aggro, they can get aggro, but can do nothing to defend themselves, or you just can't heal if you aren't grouped/in raid.

I'd say the least game breaking is just no outside healing, while simultaneously being a laughable concept and killing the remaining PL technique.
  18. krivin New Member

I think the new TLP ruleset will be interesting, and am looking forward to rolling a new character on it as I do with every new TLP. It is fun starting fresh (at least for me). Whether people like the ruleset or not, its hard to base any real opinion unless one digs in and gives it a try. Who knows, the new ruleset might grow on some people ;)
  19. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

I'm so excited about the upcoming TLP but i do think there should (down the road) be a very thorough post about what factors were looked into with this FTE concept. I can't wait to see it in action, but there are a lot of genuine concerns regarding it, such as proximity aggro, bard song aggro, mobs autospawning mobs (I.E. Black Reavers), pullers FTE lock duration, etc.

Random question, but has Daybreak ever polled content to be released? Not saying it's the right answer, but it certainly would stifle the haters if the majority-voted content was implemented.

See you all in Oakwynd!:)
    Magician9001 likes this.
  20. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Removing a social aspect of the game and allowing mobs to be tag locked before they spawn from across the map to kill ae powerleveling is a bad trade. Thats all we're saying.

By all means test it, but give a mischief or phinny clone for the people that have been waiting to play a new TLP and don't wanna be your test rodents.
    Grimaldus and Zansobar like this.