EverQuest Producer’s Letter April 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Why release same-level content thats supplementary in nature when you can spend 4 months in Time and 5+ months in Anguish.

If they want to just make it so whoever engaged first got the xp and loot, so long as they maintained an appreciable level of presence on the mob the entire time, but didnt stop people out of group from contributing, then yeah, that would be true.

I also dont think the odds of that being a possibility of any kind even exist.

Locking in both WoW and 14 dont prevent you from doing things to mobs other people are engaged with. Those games also dont have mob design the same way named spawns work in EQ.

Its a completely different (and far worse) system.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Will the locking mechanic & required checks & balances only exacerbate zone lag?

More calculations, just to make this feasible, workable or acceptable might be just another nail in the coffin for game performance, and the last thing EQ needs right now is a whole bunch of extra straws being heaped on the back of a creaking & decrepit camel.

Whole lot of recyclers are asking for free trade, if the new server does go free trade you can pretty much guarantee a bunch of guilds on Mischief will implode "new shiny" is already a big pull, but with the unique selling point of Mischief duplicated on that "new shiny" it will be irresistible to the recyclers.

Free trade for group loot I am okay with though, I just hate it for raid items.

Legacy characters - great for live servers, utterly pointless for TLP unless the boosts are massively increased, AoC locks are character-based, raid loot is herloom & flags/keys are account-based (but per-server).
    Raiders don't have much interest in having a ton of same account group-geared alts - but being able to swap to another class your raid needs that is levelled & geared could add flexibility to guilds, currently boxers might be okay doing that but legacy characters could open that option up for single account players - IF the system if thought about well,
    Zarniwoop and Aiona like this.
  3. Nessirfiti Augur

It'd have to figure out if you're part of the encounter every swing, wouldn't it. Isn't that why they got rid of the naggy and vox boot?
  4. Anklepoker New Member

I don't believe for a second that DB would consider another free trade TLP to even possibly threaten the golden goose that is Mischief. I'm quite happy with the Mischief ruleset.

My suggestions to improve the proposed ruleset would be to at least double the bonuses. So instead of 25% extra loot, make it at least 50%. The legacy character bonus should be at least 50% after 1 toon gets to max level. Then maybe 100% after the second toon gets max level. Making all loot Heirloom would fit with what seems to be the theme of the server. Also, strongly consider listening to players talk about condensing release of certain xpacs. LDoN with PoP or maybe 1 week after release or something. DoN with OoW or 1 week after. Same with PoR.
    Skuz and Excruciator_Test like this.
  5. Koniku Elder

Can there be a clarification on some of the specifics on mob resetting?

When a monk uses FD, what do the mobs do?

If a necro dots up a mob and FDs, do the dots remain? Do all debuffs clear as the mob runs back to spawn? If the dots remain, does the necro relock the mob once it resets at spawn?

Does memblur immediately reset mobs?
    Are you aware every enchanter mez has a base chance to memblur?
    Would a mez that procs memblur now just act as a highsun?
    Kunfo likes this.
  6. Jabnael New Member

Encounter locking, and all the issues that come with it (we know there will be issues) is a terrible idea for a TLP, imo. Also, why no second server this year? If you really wanted to experiment with encounter locking and other stuff, at least spin up a second server with something the community has been asking for. Clearly random loot/free trade was highly successful. Why not use that? Mischief had the bonus random loot so just do a server without the bonus loot but still random and free trade. I think this would make a lot of people happy and you can still experiment on Oakwynd. Encounter locking might be fine for live servers but I just don't see it working well for TLPs until later expansions when most of the content is instanced.
  7. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

It's been a while since I played EQ2. I forgot the yell doesn't stop the original victim from being killed just that others can help with the keeping alive. I know most people do not yell off encounters. No XP or loot would be why it's also not a way to PL, too.
  8. Xhartor Augur

Encounter locking sounds awful for Everquest. It changes to much of how the game is played.
    Yinla, WeCameWeConquered and Kunfo like this.
  9. Gemstoner Elder

I think encounter locking will be interesting just to see all the unintended shenanigans that occur. The server definitely needs a sweetener with the vinegar though, as others have suggested just add random free trade and presto chango people will give it a shot.

Or hell, thrown in a personal loot system without the station cash unlocks. :)

Edited to add: Also adding heirloom to no drop items should be implemented on every server, but give it a try on this one.

2nd edit to add: I'll agree with others criticism of the Legacy character system in that it needs to be increased I'd say 30-50% per max level character at least on a TLP. 10% per might fly on a live server where you have an entire year between expansions, what else you gonna do? Also yeah, if you're wanting to encourage multiple max level characters providing legacy bonuses then the account wide raid lock is counter-productive to say the least.
  10. Crabman Augur

just throw it all against the wall and see what sticks. if they add free trade, random loot, personal loot, i could give this encounter locking the ole college try
  11. Kunfo Augur

Wow. Sorting the news and announcements threads by # of replies tells you all you need to know about the magnitude of negative feedback to FTE...
  12. Bame New Member

Free Trade and Relaxed Truebox from the start please.
  13. Kazin New Member

When they said they were trying something that they had never done before, I was hoping that meant they would try some class balancing.
  14. BigBlahformebro Apprentice

Heck I was hoping that they were going to address pathing issues, and mobs still attacking through walls, floors, etc. Can you imagine what this reset is going to do for mobs when they can't even figure out how to get them to path correctly on a normal pull. I guarantee there's going to be mobs stuck in walls never to respawn again until server resets.
  15. Tranced Lorekeeper

Nodrop to heirloom, and character instead of account lockout timers. This would make the gimmick of exp bonus for alts actually meaningful and fit the theme of the server.

It would also prevent needing to do free trade.
    That being said, it's a complete bonehead move not to have free trade. Like, "I hate money and want our investors to remove me from my job" levels of bonehead.
    Baulkin likes this.
  16. Koshk Augur

Feedback
    • I appreciate the Road Map. It is leaner than I would prefer. But I appreciate it.
    • I wish you would provide further details regarding the UI Engine. Just like with 64-bit, there are great expectations. Sharing additional details and information would help manage those expectations.
    • My peers have written volumes about the proposed Oakwynd server. I share the general consensus that is: "No, I don't like the idea." For the reasons already discussed at length. In many ways, you opened Pandora's Box with Mischief and Thornblade. Forevermore, those will be extremely hard acts to follow.
    • I wish you would be more transparent about when you Decide on the TLP ruleset, versus when you Announce it. I have watched for months as many players share their TLP suggestions on these forums. By staying silent, you allow them to believe their feedback is relevant to this year's TLP. When in fact, decisions were made long ago.
    • I appreciate the recurring times where there are bonuses to XP, Faction, and Rares. I wish you would not wait until the last moment to confirm/announce them. A few weeks notice would be very welcome. Nonetheless, I appreciate the bonuses.
    • I wish there were more two-way conversations between players and DPG employees. I wish you would ask more for our ideas and suggestions. You are very quiet; far too quiet for my liking. Many players are quite happy to share with you. But when you do not respond in kind, especially over months/years, it can be extremely frustrating. Some players compensate by simply becoming louder and louder, hoping the squeakiest of wheels will get some oil. This rarely ends well.
    • I appreciate that some employees are taking time to moderate the forums. I wish fewer posts and threads were removed. I feel there has been some heavy-handedness. When removal does happen, it would be helpful if it was only done piecemeal, instead of in bulk. But I do appreciate the moderation.
  17. Wordor Journeyman

keep the "evolving bonuses" and open up a second "experimental" server....

a PVP mischief clone.

Then everyone gets something they want
  18. TheRealMuramx Elder

Except the 99% of the players that hate PvP... Just let it die there won't be a PvP TLP no matter how much you want it. No one plays on the actually PvP server anyways.
  19. Laera New Member

Yes please! I've been meaning to try a TLE EQ1 sever, since live eq1 is just too much and it's literally impossible to buy anything as a new player.

BUT! Seeing a bunch of people botting and camping everything is just such a huge turn off. There's a guy on Varsoon that basically does an entire raid force by himself... Why even play the game like that? Doing this Truebox puts everyone on an even footing!

20. Kabouter New Member

Don't get your hopes up, you will see a lot of people "trueboxing" 6 characters. I still think they should cap it (at least in the beginning) to 2-3 boxes, right now it is hard to prove that they are using 3rd party software (even though it is obvious), but at least it is easy to see if someone is boxing so we can cap it that way.

I don't mind people boxing 2 characters and still allowing others to join their camp/group, but box armies taking over a whole camp is just annoying.

Another thing I think would be good is to revise the xp bonus a bit. Right now you just really want to have a full group because of the xp bonus, but when single boxing quite often you'll be soloing or in a smaller group maybe increase the xp a bit for 1 to 4 player groups?

I'm partial to free trade, but I think what would be better is to make the no drop gear attunable instead it would be a good middle ground between a regular server and the loot pinata style of Mischief.