Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Braelvenae Lorekeeper

Accendo posted in the other thread Producer's Letter telling us they hear us and will get back to us with updated information when they have discussed it and know what their plans are.
    Angeliana likes this.
  2. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

haters rabble rabble until they change things, sweet. Almost had a cool TLP idea..
    Zrender likes this.
  3. Nessirfiti Augur

I know, and then they decided to go with this encounter locking thing, we could have had a cool TLP.
    Lawyer likes this.
  4. Magician9001 Augur

Cool go cry in a corner and play on one of the other 30 servers without FTE. What takes priority is what creates the healthiest server. If FTE doesn't do that cool, it will be just on this one server. If it does. Why does what you want eliminate the majority of other peoples ability to enjoy the game?
    Demetri and Zrender like this.
  5. Demetri Augur

They were widely condemned early on. I remember, as I was one of the two people speaking vocally on them being an improvement, while many were saying they were going to ruin what EQ was, including Holly herself at the time.
    code-zero, Lejaun and Zrender like this.
  6. Nessirfiti Augur

That's weirdly aggressive, do you need a hug?

I don't remember condemnation, I remember concern. But never anywhere near this level of it, and mostly because they did a horrible job of explaining what picks were in general.
    YouDaGoob likes this.
  7. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

People hate change.
  8. Thatoneguy666 Elder

Gross and ignorant over simplification. Some people hate all change. Some people welcome all change and want to see the world stripped of all norms and traditions. Some people hate needless change but are open to changes which might improve things.

So sure. People hate change. Sometimes. Deep statement bro. Hit us with something else this profound I beg you.
    Lawyer likes this.
  9. Demetri Augur

Also MotM was similar.

But yes, in today's online climate of overblown hyperbole, it's basically the same as the equivalent back then.

Is there reason to be wary of potential issues? Sure. Declaring it's complete trash and unworkable? Quite premature for something that has yet to be seen.

If people were just saying "Woah, I hope they make sure issues I can expect like X are addressed", the response of the rational amongst us would likely be far more tame as well.

Over the top reactions online to everything are a plague... rational discussion is always better for problem solving and analysis instead of kneejerk nonsense.
    Zrender likes this.
  10. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

People don't like their thoughts to be challenged.
  11. Nessirfiti Augur

MOTM is entirely pointless, and has been since it was introduced. Mark of the old ways could be put in without MotM

As to the encounter locking, people are pointing out that it solves nothing for any expansion past Kunark, and even classic/Kunark benefits are debatable.
  12. Zansobar Augur

RMT was NOT obscure and minimal at that point. Did you ever check Ebay? Loads and loads of items and characters were for sale for real money back in 1999. It's just that without Krono, the EQ devs got no piece of that RMT pie.
  13. Demetri Augur

I can definitely point out parts of every expansion on Yelinak right now that it would benefit.

I can also recall cases of drama on Phinigel even far later that it would've dealt with. I recall DoDH cases for 100% sure.
  14. Captain Video Augur

63 pages and counting. Wow. Excuse me, I have to burp.

I wouldn't hold your collective breath hoping for a second TLP server this cycle. They want people to pound away on this server, for better or for worse.
  15. Zansobar Augur

There are loads of players NOT playing EQ at the moment that want a Mischief 2.0 server to come back to, myself and several of my friends fall into this category. A large percentage of EQ players do not like playing later game expansions, just to preempt the cry of "Well go play on Mischief if you like that ruleset".
    Jontrann likes this.
  16. Zansobar Augur

People LOVED the Mischief ruleset and that was absolutely a whole lot of change.
  17. Thatoneguy666 Elder

Yeah people are just clueless. It was obscure and invisible TO HIM. Which is all that counts in his mind. RMT is a part of life. A part of EQ. It has never been otherwise. It was insanely MORE profitable in the early days simply due to overall ignorance of the player base. Time was a Cloak of Flames was worth more than a small country's GDP.

The highest dollar amount for a character I ever heard of was a level 50 shaman that was sold right before Kunark release. All you purists really need to play on p99 and stop with your ignorant righteous condemnations. Markets exist whether online or in reality wherever there is demand. The literal only difference between then and now is the game owner's wised up and cut themselves in on the profit. Also made the process less scam riddled and easier to facilitate as well. They brought prices DOWN in the secondary market. You ought to be saying thank you.
  18. Nessirfiti Augur

Funny, I never once got KSed on Phinny, and only ended up being trained accidentally, and it turns out that accidental trains are just part of the game. Pretty amusing when they happen if you haven't severely misplaced a stick.

There was some inter-guild drama on phinny for sure, but I hardly think this would have solved any of it, knowing some of those guilds and their leaders.
  19. Zansobar Augur

I appreciate the devs are trying to do something to eliminate or reduce PL and training, but the cost of this reduction is too high with the currently described "First to Engage" system. Making it so others cannot help someone in need due to overpulls or whatnot is not good. Also I agree with others that this will lead to people abusing the FTE system to tag mobs and then kill them at a leisurely rate which opens up the door for almost every class to do this, while at least with DPS racing there are fewer classes/groups that can be successful at stealing mobs.

Additionally, this type of ruleset does not belong on a TLP - it has zero to do with progression through expansions. This needs to be on a Beta server that people can test and you can get feedback there. Don't waste the once per year chance that players have to come back to EQ to play on a fresh start TLP server by muddying it up with highly controversial mechanics.

All this being said - I still cannot comprehend why DPG refuses, absolutely REFUSES to listen to their player base when they say they want a fresh start Free Trade and Random Loot TLP. I just don't see why they aren't taking what works (Mischief rules) and iterating on that to improve it. Improve it with adjustments to the Random Loot by using Hybrid Random Loot system I've detailed before, where each mob drops its own loot table loot and then additionally has a percentage chance (maybe 50% or so) of also dropping random loot. This system improves the random loot mechanic by allowing those players that complained about random loot because they "don't know where to get the drop they want" so they can just camp the mobs that drop their loot and they will get it. But it still achieves the benefit of random loot (impossibility of monopolizing specific loot drops) because all rare mobs in the level range will drop the loot a percentage of the time.

I really hope DPG relents and releases a second server that uses the Mischief ruleset with tweaks along side the FTE server. They can include the evolutionary bonuses or not as those are pretty minor anyway.
    Lawyer likes this.
  20. Zrender Augur

HAHA!!! Nice try. I was a seller back then on different games (UO/AC) all the way up until ebay eliminated the option. I was probably as tuned into RMT back then as it was possible to be and fully aware of the EQ side. The fact that prices were higher then was exactly because it was small time back then. It's now a multi-billion dollar industry and that's just the players, not counting the companies that sell currencies in their own games. There is no comparison to how prolific it is now. If you have doubts you can feel free to google and find piles of charts of the trajectory of RMT trading in MMO games over the past 2 decades.
    Magician9001 likes this.