Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Heirauz Journeyman

Do the Devs or jchan have anything to say about what people have been asking for on this subforum or the producers letter?

Oakwynd doesn't seem like it's going to fare very well if it doesn't have free trade at the very least. The bonuses also seem very few and far between.

Everquest is a 20+ year old game, I don't see the issue in giving us a TLP where we can be OP.
  2. Zrender Augur

I'm not disappointed at all. It's not a misstep at all, I'm looking forward to TLE and eliminating or greatly reducing afk PLing and mob training. Also makes the game more competitive to a much larger audience. I'm sure there will be some issues to iron out but this is a much needed change if they want to grow the game.
    Laronk likes this.
  3. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

The ruleset of Oakwynd seemed to garner a lot of support as well. There is a LOT of feedback wanting free trade, but that should definitely be a separate TLP if anything. It makes no sense to diminish the current Oakwynd project because a number of people want Mischief 2.0.
    Zrender likes this.
  4. Go Take A Nap Augur

I like this idea. There could be cases where you wouldnt want all the progression forced on every alt though. Something like auto grant check or the copy UI function where you can just port over AA amounts and progression from a specific character. Hell, pay wall it as a service. We'll pay for it
  5. BigShackSal New Member

I may as well toss in my 2 coppers on this. As a super casual yearly player, I have to agree that I see more problems coming out of the encounter locking than I see solutions.

I play on a tlp every year just to relive a bit of the old days before I get my fill and move on. Like many, I was hoping for another crack at a Mischief-type experience. EQ still offers a unique experience that I enjoy coming back to for a time.

This "experiment" doesn't seem to be the sort I was hoping for - especially the FTE (I had to read way to many posts to learn what that meant). Completely eliminates being able to help a player struggling except for heals... as well as brings up many scenarios where I can't imagine how it would function at least in my understanding of the mechanics.

Anyhow.. hopefully this will lend to the prevailing opinion that somebody needs to go back to the drawing board and try again. You still got 50ish days or so to figure it out.
    Kunfo likes this.
  6. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

100% in support of Oakwynd, finally power to the casual gamers!

- About time FTE was introduced into EQ. Albeit, it will probably come with a hoard of bugs, but we got to crawl before we can run :)

- The last 2-3 years in TLP's it feels like levelling is either: Buy a PL group spot and AFK, or buy a 2nd account and box your way up. It shouldn't have to be this way. I love the idea of eliminating Powerlevelling, and bringing a possibly much larger pool of players actively seeking groups and content.

- Incentivizing alts on the same account is also pretty great and hopefully gives more depth to creating an account in EverQuest (rather than 1 account leading to 1 character, and boxing, etc.). Nothing too crazy, but good to know my future alts on the account will have a quicker experience than my original main's grind.
    Demetri and Zrender like this.
  7. Khanfu Elder

My thoughts on the encounter locking..

Why not start small? EQ should be trying to evolve to attract new players as well.

For "experimental" why not try a more positive and modern "open tagging" on a small area of spawns that seems to have a problem.

Maybe start with epic spawns.. the spawn timers are epic enough. Why cant anyone spending their time waiting on the spawn be able to tag it and get the piece for their quest? This solves so many problems. It vastly improves the social aspect of the 'Camp". Id much rather log in to go check a spawn and be greeted positively, have some conversation, make a new friend than being told within 2 seconds that this spawn is "CAMPED!".

Even the raid pieces for epics as well. What guild wants to go back killing mobs over and over that no longer drop usable equipment just for epic pieces. Plan it so a few members get prepared that week and go knock out 4 at a time. These shouldn't be an issue with "RMT" either because it can easily be planned and arranged. If anything it would improve the epic "RMT" situation. I can even see guilds helping a guildie finish up an epic and just inviting others to be helpful...

EQ players always tout the social aspect of EQ but in actuality its not always positive for the truly NEW player.

and once again.... start small.
  8. Kunfo Augur

Since feedback is being consolidated here, here are my thoughts from the producer's thread:

I'm not a fan of AoE PLing, never used it, it only ever annoyed me when I was trying to group in Velks having everything stolen by a bard puller.

But this solution breaks the game and is 10x worse than the problem. They could have fixed the PL problem in plenty of other ways, such as by putting a reasonable mob cap on AE stun.

With this FTE "solution":
    • You literally can't help anyone outside of your group unless you are a priest class, and then you might pull aggro on a mob that you can't affect in any way
    • Monks and SKs can no longer split pull (according to how aggro resetting was described in this post)
    • You can't tag mobs for faction;
    • Monks or anyone near a zone line or with an aggro drop can no longer PL or assist groups by damaging + FD or damaging + zone
    • Priests can no longer PL except to buff and heal a character doing their own killing, and only in undead zones since runners can't be rooted;
    • Bards can no longer have any involvement in PLing (i.e. classic PLing, not even talking about AoE groups)
    • Single players can now grief entire groups by tagging named in situations where previously the named could simply be snared or taunted back (this happens all the time in adjacent camps on TLP - now named will simply be stolen)
    • Out of group boxes are no longer an option
    All because they wanted to "fix" AoE PLing without finding a less intrusive solution. So many mechanics in this game completely break with this change.
  9. Heirauz Journeyman

I don't think free trade would make it Mischief 2.0. IMO Free trade should be the way EQ does things going forward.
  10. Crabman Augur

More competitive?? Stop trolling. This makes the rift between those who use programs and those who don’t so much wider and you are so naive to think otherwise.
  11. Go Take A Nap Augur

The larger pool of players comes with the start of every TLP and then dies out when we have to go back to work and start raid logging. Time off only lasts so long. Were not teenagers anymore and there are far more attractive things to do with your time, after leveling the first character, than sitting LFG or trying to grind an alt.

Im not sure what the average age of EQ players is but I think its in the 40-50s range. There is zero chance of getting what you are asking for for the life of the TLP. Most of us barely keep up with demands for progression keying AND aaing as is
  12. Zrender Augur

No, just no. Free trade destroys the most fundamental game loop of the game. No need to progress, just whip out the credit card and buy your way to BiS. PLing also destroys the fundamental rpg progression loop. Oakwynd won't have free trade and will attempt to limit PLing. I'm all in. Nothing against people that love free trade but one every 4 or 5 years is plenty imo.
  13. Thatoneguy666 Elder

You anti PL people are so ignorant it makes my brain hurt. Do you know who benefits from PL groups? Casuals. Casuals and returning players. This has been a part of the game for IT'S ENTIRE LIFE. Your poorly formulated complaints seem not to be about the act of power leveling but people PAYING for it.

This idealized world you imagine where single box Timmy's all group up and gain 3 AA per night is quite simply imaginary. It doesn't work. You will never, ever, ever catch up. EQ had something called AAs. They create an incredible barrier to entry that stacks and stacks and stacks the longer a server exists.

Hardcore players who have solid guild groups and great box crews and play 6 hours a day are usually capped out and Max exp all the time.

PL, either friendly OR bought exists to cater to CASUAL players. In the early eras no doubt you can group up from 1 to 50, 1 to 60,1 to 65 with other like minded folks. After that it becomes a bit more...complicated.

But you all are simple folk. Salt of the earth. So I'll try and keep it simple. You kill Power Leveling you kill EQ. Post PoP anyways. Grouping conventionally is simply not a viable option when you're catching up 6 freaking expansions. Nothing you want to happen will occur if PL is gutted. Except the professional PLers playing on different servers. Of course the non PL server will die and rot also. So tradeoffs I suppose.

Disclaimer : Have never sold anyone a PL in my life.
    WeCameWeConquered, Appren and Crabman like this.
  14. LachiusTZ Lorekeeper

I personally love the approach of "We are too lazy to log into the game to ban obvious cheaters, so instead we will just break the game and make the entire thing a hellscape!".

Real Dilbert energy.

Gonna have to mark my calendar to come check the forums when Kunark drops to see all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over epic drops.
  15. Barthorn Elder

Encounter Locking ruins the spirit of EQ. It has no place in our game. I can't believe how out of touch the developers are with the community. Also "testing" out your new system on a brand new server is laughable. We are not paying to test a system the majority of people never asked for. Please do better Daybreak you are breaking everyone's heart.
  16. Zrender Augur

Haha. You are very naive to think that abnormally fast mob selection time won't be the cause of the first mass ban on Oakwynd. Also, this can be addressed by normalizing mob selection time, which may very well already be part of the plan.
  17. LachiusTZ Lorekeeper

Lol, remember when they "fixed" PL groups w/ the enchanter stun change?

So it went from something a group of friends could do, casually, to something that could only be done w/ automation and box armies?

Lol, this change is going to have hilarious results.

And by hilarious, I mean people are going to cry endlessly playing w/ it and I'll love reading about it here.

Daybreak, this is a great change, you should 100% push this to all servers ASAP.
    Thatoneguy666 and Laronk like this.
  18. Crabman Augur

one mage gets banned and the next is there within minutes or maybe hours at most. bans havent stopped SG from having 7 picks with exactly 24 people in them, they havent stopped 2 necros from being at every pick of efreeti. those 2 naked necros with random names arent the same ones as the next 2 you see if you try tomorrow. thats because those were banned and replaced by new ones. you actually think the bans effect botters? merely a speed bump. a sign that says "yea we shoot radar sometimes here maybe"
    Kunfo likes this.
  19. Appren Gnomercy

Not looking forward to players with macro programs stealing my mobs with encounter locking, the griefing vs casual players will be brutal :(
    Crabman and Kunfo like this.
  20. Zrender Augur

Unlikely to be a widespread issue. This is a developmental feature that will likely be being watched and measured by devs more than anything in recent memory. Fast target selection is what would give cheaters an advantage and is very easy to detect. DEVS: if you are listening, please normalize mob selection time, completely solves this issue.
    Excruciator_Test likes this.