EverQuest Producer’s Letter April 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Twizle Journeyman

FTE is a feature that will be on Live and all future tlps, if we dont say something now our voice will be silenced
  2. Jasper Wiz Journeyman

I don't really have much hope that they will listen, or change anything. This server just proves to me how out of touch they are. Doesn't bode well for the future direction of the game in general. Hope I'm wrong, but maybe it's just time to move on... :(
  3. Aiona Augur

Your voice is welcome here, along with everyone elses. I want the server to be fun for as many people as possible.

If that turns out to be Mischief 2.0, I would be happy too. But I don't need another mischief to enjoy a new TLP experience, personally.
    Magneress and Baulkin like this.
  4. Braelvenae Lorekeeper

So after a day of "discussion" about the server I'd like to try and pinpoint what exactly those that are in favour of FTE like and really are excited about this ruleset down so we can try and communicate on that front instead of posting all the negatives without directly addressing their points.

• I've seen mentioned that this will kill AoE Plvlers (all Plvlers?) and that this is a good thing for the game. Their reasoning seems to be that AoE Plvling is bad for the game, it's an RMTer's paradise, and it prevents people from being in LFG for low-mid level groups.
    • It's been stated that this will solve and prevent KSing and griefing by 6-box crews who come into your camp and push you out. Many here seem to repeat "3-necro meta -EBolt meta, etc" are going to be fixed by this change and "at least you'll have a chance in facing them". The return of the "Play-nice Policy" that was what EQ used to be. "It was alway first to tag anyways and camps were recognized".
    I'm sure there are more I am missing, but having spent many hours in the discord and official forums reading the comments these two seem to be the main two points that those in favour of this system think are selling points to them.

Without personal attacks how are these two above statements correct or incorrect on TLPs in general, in modern EQ, or in just general on EQ moving forward for possible servers.

All the negative aspects of First to Engage have been posted about (myself included) ad-nauseum in this thread. I think they are all extremely valuable comments to have. I'm just thinking if we can directly focus on these two points those are in favour of believe in and have a discussion on that front it will help us bridge the gap that seems to be there.
  5. coltongrundy Augur

We already know how it works from the extra life bonuses when we had 225% loot modifier.
  6. Nessirfiti Augur

The problem is, that these problems are generally not a problem past luclin/PoP. and I'd argue that the supposed KSing and Griefing that is being used as an example for what will be stopped, ceases to be an issue once there's more than a couple places to go to level.
    B0HICA likes this.
  7. Kunfo Augur

In one of my previous posts in this thread I noted there are far less game-breaking ways they could have gone about getting rid of AE PLing, however I won't repeat it since people claimed I was calling for nerfs. This "solution" to AE PLing completely breaks the game.

KSing will be more of an issue with first-to-engage, not less.
  8. IksarWarrior New Member

I registered a forum account to chime in that while I appreciate the efforts to curb PL'ing, KS'ing, and training, I do not think the proposed target locking is a good idea. It is such a radical change to how the game has functioned for nearly 25 years, and while it may curb some of the aforementioned issues, it just isn't EverQuest and frankly does not sound fun.
    Koshk likes this.
  9. Aiona Augur

From where I'm standing, it appears that way to me as well. I'm not worried one bit about how this server will be beyond Luclin.
  10. filthytlpplayer Elder

A lot of people are saying things like "we didn't ask for FTE mechanics." That's true, watching the TLP forums off and on I haven't seen anybody ask for that specific mechanic. Daybreak probably isn't looking at the forums and other feedback methods looking for specific mechanic suggestions to implement. They are probably looking at the forums to understand the pain points that players are experiencing. There are several posts that talk about the botted PL crews and how they detract from the TLP experience, for example, and the FTE mechanic might have been suggested as the most feasible way to address this pain point.

I agree that it's a miss and probably too drastic of a change to make to EQ, but I think there was probably a good deal of thought put into it and a real reason that it's being implemented.
    Baulkin likes this.
  11. Leorium The Fluffy Wolf

Please apply FTE to only open world raid mobs.

Please swap the bonus loot from TSS and Kunark. Apply the 200% bonus to Kunark at the start.

Please reduce the expansion timing in Level 65 era (PoP) and level 70 era (GoD-PoR)

Please change Veeshan's Peak (VP) keying requirements like you did for Vex Thal (VT)
  12. Nessirfiti Augur

that would be a reasonable idea.
  13. Kunfo Augur

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of why they are implementing FTE though (presumably to remove AE PLing)? This would just ensure the guild with the most ranger batphones gets every open world raid mob. I don't think there's anything wrong with DPS racing open world raid mobs since every guild can have their AOC anyway.

FTE should be put in the trash completely, before it is implemented in any way.
  14. Braelvenae Lorekeeper

I think most people can agree that as the server's life moves on the FTE rule has less of an impact. That is probably why Devs who have tended to view changes through a Live EQ's perspective don't see the big deal with this change.

It also helps as Neff pointed out as more zones open up (post Kunark) that this becomes less common. Coupled with the loss of players (natural decay of server population over time) this becomes less of a problem over time. However, the same is true with griefing in general after this time. Less players in general in a more spread out world means that once we progress past a few expansions FTE mechanics aren't necessary at all because the problem ceases to exist naturally. So how do the FTE mechanics HELP in the first two expansions (or more if you believe so) to fix the problems listed above?

Because right now I am seeing that both sides of this issue believe FTE only has any effect on pre-PoP EQ (at most) and hardly has any change after that either due to population decline or general changes in game mechanics at that point. Do you believe it will prevent griefing or have other positive effects in early EQ?
  15. coltongrundy Augur

Was this a late April Fool's joke???
    Barraind and Kunfo like this.
  16. Aiona Augur

Speaking for myself, I think DBG has a reason(s) for it, and I want to see how it plays out because the alternative is more of the same. And if we're not getting Mischief 2.0, than I don't want more of the same. I would just stay on the same if that's what I wanted. :)
    Magneress likes this.
  17. HerdingCats Journeyman

Encounter locking is the standard in EQ2. I grew so accustomed to it that it's weird to me to read all doom and gloom comments against it. The interesting part will be how it behaves with things like bard fade and FD. If they mimic how it works in EQ2, there is zero griefing there, at least when it comes to taking mobs from people.
    Magneress and Aiona like this.
  18. Animosity Elder

Youre comparing 2 completely different games. This is just turning EQ1 more into EQ2/WoW. Thats taking away a lot of what made us long time players love the game to begin with and why we dont play the others.
  19. coltongrundy Augur

They are 2 totally different games. You can't compare them like that. EQ2 was designed from the ground up for encounter locking. EQ was not. Imagine someone saying I've had loot boxes in FIFA for years, I don't see why EQ2 players are complaining about loot boxes now.
    Kunfo likes this.
  20. Kunfo Augur

I think most people understand encounter locking is the standard in EQ2, as it is in WoW and Final Fantasy. This however, is not only an EQ1 forum, but happens to be a topic on TLP servers, which start all the way back in EQ1 classic for that matter.