Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. wade_watts Augur

You don’t play EQ BECAUSE it’s not mainstream, you play EQ because you enjoy it or deeply connected with it at one point. The fact is that EQ lost major market share and isn’t mainstream because of competition and inability to keep up with player desires. This doesn’t make it bad, but expecting them to bring product to market that is exciting for players would be a break from what they have done in the past.

Objectively, very few people like modern EQ compared to the number that used to and compared to the overall number thst play MMORPG’s. I’m happy that you like it but your experience and opinion doesn’t change the objective facts. Because I like the game, my hope is that DPG can produce things that excite players and bring back players while increasing revenue. Just doesn’t seem likely - hopefully they can find product people that can connect with what people would want which would sustain the entire game for longer. This kind of TLP is certainly NOT it.
    Phoenix17 and Thatoneguy666 like this.
  2. Sakuraba Augur

Generally agree. Though I don't see the evolving bonuses as a con per se. Someone mentioned this is probably the most "Dad" ruleset ever, and they are probably right - for casuals and people who engage mostly in small group content, those will be lifesavers over time. Especially the AA and Spawn Rate bonuses.
  3. Sakuraba Augur

1) I am not sure how many would agree with this due to time-to-cap acceleration and AA prep, to some people the grind is sacred. That said I'd be all for this one.

2) Battlepasses are sketchy unless done right. Will these be more akin to XIV's PvP Battlepass (Albeit with PvE implications for EQ's case), or more like Forkknife's (Fortnite)? XIV's would be preferable tbh.

3) Free Trade/Attuneable with Unattuners still bothers me as a concept, because this 100% oozes of "I want to make Krono early and make Krono fast". Free Trade itself is not necessarily bad but it has done some arguable damage to FV's economy.

4) BST/ZERK would be cool because it'd give us more DPS options.

5) What would the unique thing be? I know one private server gave them "Bombs" but that might not work unless the intent is to permanently affect Live as well.

6) Is it needed? My Wizard honestly functioned just fine on Aradune. Though I suppose more power is never a bad thing.

7) Sure.

8) TBD

9) Hmmm....nah. EC Tunnel is a charm. Bazaar is extremely rigid, but with EC Tunnel I've always had a much better experience haggling people down.

10 and 11) Could be interesting.
  4. Arclyte Augur

the vocal few extremists who want non-truebox + loot pinata + free trade aren't happy

meanwhile oakwynd will be full of people enjoying the game

#oakboyz #RememberLoriysn #destroyrivervale
    demilich, Aiona, Traktur and 3 others like this.
  5. YouDaGoob Lorekeeper

Yeah but you are missing the point. There is zero recourse now. Someone killing hasten all the time? Bring in an enchanter to charm. Someone trying to steal your named spawn would have to bring in more boxed power than your group, now they can just wait til you arent paying enough attention and duo your nameds down while you watch and can do absolutely nothing. Its going to be fun, depending on how you decide to play this TLP lmao. My plan is to have 3 duo groups and contest nameds across all picks and zones, and keep timers up on all the picks nameds so I know when to pop back in and FTE race
  6. wade_watts Augur

Haha. I’m glad that you and the other single account subscribers have a server that is tuned for you that you will enjoy. As someone that also loves alts but might want to 2 or 3 box them in various combinations, this seems like a strange move on the business side. For example, I’ve paid DPG 6 - 10 times what you have to create alts and play different classes yet instead of incentivizing those paying many times more, the incentivize the people that have a single sub.

I keep hoping for a server that will bring my TLP “rerolling” friends back and sadly this ruleset offers nothing but headache. The things they want (replay first year of TLP with Mischief ruleset) isn’t coming so they don’t come back even though they - and seemingly many others that go through the trouble - keep asking for it.

It’s not so much flaming people that like this server idea, it’s more about DPG ignoring clear community asks and rolling things that virtually nobody is asking for. You can take it as complaining or flaming DPG, I just want to play TLP EQ with my friends and they keep not getting what they want thus not returning. My bad for having hopes I guess but these are disappointing announcements when it demonstrates that they aren’t listening to the community.
  7. Grummle Journeyman

I've got my gripes about the server. But mostly it comes down to just how bland it is, after being teased as experimental.
    FTE is the only really experimental thing in it, and, not to say kill stealing doesn't happen, it just doesn't seem to be an issue that requires this level of a response. At best, you'll never notice FTE, at worst it becomes a whole new griefing mechanic.
    As for all the lovely 'perks' they laid out all the way to NoS, the server has zero point zero percent chance of getting there. On top of that, they are just.. not that interesting, mostly being rehashed perks we see throughout the year for various holidays.

My summary... FTE is a very high risk low reward mechanic (either you never notice it, or it actively kills the server)
    'Evolving' perks aren't experimental, exciting, or new.
    Legacy Characters, that's just a massive nothingburger too, there are plenty of comments about them out there.
  8. Grummle Journeyman

Even personal loot (minus the whole lootbox-chance at loot lock unlocker shenanigans) would have been more interesting.
    Most of these are things I could totally see checking out.

FTE just seems like such a bad call. In it's best implementation, you forget its a thing, Less good, its a constant buggy annoyance, worst case it's a new actively abused tool to grief people and steel mobs, making the exact situation it was trying to fix, worse.
  9. Mestik New Member

Depending on implementation this would break...

1. Helping others in trouble outside of healing or buffing them directly.
    2. Potentially opening up the idea of aggro free healing by keeping the healers out of group.
    3. If healing does gain aggro in that instance, then a locked mob can have aggro on a character that has no ability to CC that mob for self preservation and its unkillable to them.
    4. No more faction tagging in Velious.

That last one above means that you may have even unintentional social aggro when trains cross each other ending up with mobs on groups that they have no hope of dealing with without an evac and start over. Not to mention a monk locks a couple mobs and drops it on them to get them off a desired camp since they cant do anything about it. Option 2 above is less broken, but is very disruptive to what Everquest is and would also have ramifications on pulling that would be exploited.

Such as out of group Monk tags each guard in a room but not the named, backs them up a few steps and feigns while someone can now single pull the namer out of the room while all the locked mobs ignore the actions going on around them.

Much is coming down to how this is to be implemented and what actions are required to cause a lock, but there are very valid concerns about changes to the game this will create and what situations we will have as a result of them. They haven't even really expressed whether this is intended to hurt the power levelers or the DPS racers.
  10. Ruhi Augur

sounds like you're gonna enjoy the new server and already got a plan - gg
  11. YouDaGoob Lorekeeper

This server will be an incredible experiment, fr fr dead @ no cap
  12. Critt Augur

2. With the assumed halt to power-levelling, I would assume that the result would be more LFG players --> more players in the pool to group with in the day. With the declining EQ player-base, this actually sounds relevant.

This is a flawed assumption... People who want to PL and be PL'd will just play on a different server
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  13. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

That's a really good point - I was only pointing out that it probably isn't going to be the fulcrum-point for EQ Players to subscribe and load into the server, but I do see how this is a positive output for getting the "Dad" player base up to par with the rest of the crew haha.
  14. coltongrundy Augur

Everyone (myself included) complaining about this server's rules better not play on that server at all. Don't cry about it and then go play there. If they wont change the encounter locking rule, you have to show them that your complaints were serious.
  15. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

I believe this the outcome would be subjective on both perspectives. With the assumed halt of Powerleveling I'm sure you're right that some people just won't play the server, but I would equally assume that there will be people who still intend on playing the active TLP and decide to level up with other players. Considering the people who buy PL's to max level never really cross paths with me until potentially raiding-era anyways, it would be (from a social levelling perspective) only a positive output when it comes to finding groups and the volume of players LFG/grouping.
  16. Zrae Journeyman

World boss events with major HP.

DPS / Heal Check points for tierd currency and xp rewards. Less rewards each time done so you can still benefit helping others.

Add the new item slot and have the reward be for that slot + other fluff items

Not meant to be hard just more things to do.

another

combine ldon into pop and do not extend time.

Possibly shorten or combine later stuff too.
  17. Ruhi Augur

lol - most of the people with a negative opinion will play there probably

that hustle and bustle of a new server
    Faydra and Lejaun like this.
  18. YouDaGoob Lorekeeper

I think the server will be a nice wake up call to the silent majority to didnt say anything about the ruleset. When it doesnt work, and their nameds keep getting solod/duod before their eyes and sometimes right on top of their group, then they will hopefully say something publicly next time to prevent this idiotic ploy to raise xp potions by converting plvlers to microtransaction xp pot buyers.
  19. Mestik New Member

It also removes some incentive for someone boxing to drop one of their characters to let someone else in the spot, as an out of group debuffer is no longer able to have an impact on the mob. So in that scenario its less available group spots. Just depends.
    Appren likes this.
  20. bartolomo Noxious Iksar

I will give it a shot even though I don't like it. You never know. I am always willing to give something a chance. But the first dumb **** I come across, and its peace out. I can think of a million ways this will be a hindrance and only a few ways it will be a help. Time will tell. I just wish they would experiment on that server, and give the rest of us a free trade fresh start tlp. The only people complaining about a 2nd server are A. People who are afraid their current server will die and B. People who are afraid that the free trade fresh start will outshine the new TLP and have all the players on it. But tell me this. If that happens, does that not mean that the masses have spoken? If your server is dead on arrival because everyone is on the other free trade server, that answers your question right there. I just don't get all the outrage. Yes, keep your trial server with the new rules, and let the other half (or more) of us have our old game.