EverQuest Producer’s Letter April 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

all the guildleaders you do NOT see postting in TLP Guild Recruitment forum? Guildlead on....Mischief. competing with that is a bad idea. I'm in 2 of those guilds and nobody, nobody is moving.
  2. Kunfo Augur

Of course nobody would move from Mischief to this thing they announced today.

The better question is, who would move from Mischief to a newer Mischief (or close to it), or who used to play on Mischief and wants to start fresh (like me).
    Critt likes this.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

this would poop all over Mischief. That would totally impress the player base. Dump on the most popular and successful TLP to date (with many of the best guildleaders in EQs system) to prop up a bad rulest server and kill them both in one go.
  4. Atabishii Elder

Famous last words. The ole "everyone in my guild said they aren't moving to the new TLP" routine. No one's heard that one before....lol
    Aiona, Baulkin and Kunfo like this.
  5. v1sual New Member

speak with your wallet, this server sounds awful so dont sub for it
  6. Atabishii Elder

Mischief had one of the lowest number of active raid guilds and one of the lowest average members per raid guild of main server modern era TLP's (phinny and beyond). Mischiefs population peak was more on par with Coirnav population peak. You can make the argument that the Mischief rule set has allowed the server to sustain decent numbers after the normal TLP cycle population stabilizes and is maybe better set to have slightly higher numbers in much later era's than other TLP's due to its ruleset, but in terms of the modern TLP cycle (classic to PoP/GoD), Mischief is no where even close to the most popular TLP's.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

It seems the guild recruitment forum agrees with me.

Also, both the guildleaders I have on Mischief are quite committed to reaching live under this rule set.
  8. Atabishii Elder

The servers were just announced. It's possible people are still waiting to get more clarifications or to see if any changes are made, or maybe it's possible its DOA, who knows. Have seen the same thing in the past with most guilds waiting to post after a TLP announcement when the rules are up in the air and subject to change.

Almost every guild leader and guild ever says they are committed to reaching live. Guess the number of guilds who have actually done it.
    Barraind and Critt like this.
  9. TowerEQ New Member

Source for this blatantly false statement? I've played on most of the TLPs to date, and Mischief is the only server where I've seen the bazaar literally full of traders- ie, no more traders were allowed to be started (occurred during PoP.) The number of players (and the number of Krono bought for free trade) on Mischief by far exceeds anything I've seen.
    Trident, Appren, Makin and 1 other person like this.
  10. Shamamy New Member

LOL.
    You forgot them open TWO servers at same time, Mischief and Thornblade? So u need count both server populations :)
  11. Aiona Augur

If you don't like an idea, the constructive thing to do is to help improve upon it. Crapping all over it only causes a stink that no one wants a part of.

Getting rid of KS'ing, DPS racing, and AFK power leveling is some of the best things that could be done to improve the game from it's currently dated mechanics.

FTE (first to engage) can be tweaked to make it better. As players, we know as well as anyone what would work best for us. That is the type of stuff we want to suggest here!

Also, if you think there's a better system, like shared loot or everyone getting personal loot, then please suggest it. It will only help, and the worst that can happen is someone disagrees and posts a stinker, exposing the type of caliber you are dealing with here on the forums.

I would have liked to see another server with free trade and randomized loot, in addition to the current server. So we could have a choice, but they chose not to do that because it would make it harder to test the popularity of the server AND it's mechanics without it. So I can understand that. And if they made one with free trade and the other without, of course free trade would get a vast majority of the population and the other wouldn't, making neither of them good candidates to test out these new mechanics.

This appears to be something they want to test on a TLP and get long term data before implementing it on live. Some of you seem to take issue with this as some sort of uncontrolled experiment or something. Why would you have a problem with this when you have the option of not playing if you don't want to? You have Mischief, Yelinak, and some live servers, all with healthy populations.

Oh, you like Burger King? You can have it your way here too! You just need to have your way on another server, unless you're going to help improve this one and make it better for everyone.
    Magneress likes this.
  12. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

some folks have a stake in this. RMT is a thing. Almost all of the spam and flak on this is from alt accounts with almost no posts or commitment to community and they lobby hard and use much rhetoric.
  13. Atabishii Elder

Imagine that, the bazaar having more traders on a free trade server. I would have never expected that.
    Tell me, since it's so blatantly false you must know the answer, what was the total number of raid guilds on Mischief? You can even use the number at it's peak. I'll guarantee you it was lower than Mangler, lower than Phinny, and wayyyy lower than Aradune.
  14. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

All those Krono PLers get? RMTers want rando loot to make up for it and are lobbying hard.

Support the game and.. people WANT to get PLs.

It's fun, people enjoy it.

And those "dated mechanics"? also fun, enough to keep us here for 24 years, so by all means poop all over them.
    Kaenneth and Kunfo like this.
  15. Aiona Augur

Yeah, there are a whole lot of new forum users crapping all over these forums right now. :(
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. Aiona Augur

People can still have as much PL as they want, they just aren't going benefit as well being AFK.

What you call fun is not always the same as everyone else. That's what this feedback is all about. :)
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  17. TowerEQ New Member

You've played this game long enough to understand that the number of guilds isn't indicative of the number of players on a server. A server with 20 guilds of 200 people each will have more players than a server with 50 guilds with 50 players each. This isn't hard math.
  18. Kunfo Augur

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but this change literally breaks every form of PL, with the sole exception of Druids and Shamans buffing a targeted character holding their own aggro in an undead zone. That ruins fun for a loooooooot of people lol.
  19. Aiona Augur

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was an equivalent PL or even a good PL after a certain level, haha.

But if we're talking PL'ing as a "service?" That bunk needs to go. That's not fun, that's laziness.

Edit: and yeah, that's tomato vs tomato, just my opinion.
    Svann2 and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  20. Atabishii Elder

I'm fully aware of that, which is why in my original statement I also added higher average member count.
    The problem is you are framing the argument completely wrong which is what allows it to be debunked so easily. The pro-mischief clone posters are trying to argue for a second mischief server based on their presumption that it was the most populated TLP ever, which is completely untrue. Aradune was the most populated TLP ever, by a large margin. But why was Aradune so popular compared to other TLP's? Was it the ruleset? Absolutely not. It was the most popular ever because it released at the height of covid lockdowns. You could have released any non-crazy TLP at that time and it would have been the most popular ever. If Mischief server had launched at that time instead of Aradune, it would have been the most popular ever. Phinny was also way more popular than Mischief.
    If you're asking for a clone server, the argument should be which ruleset is more likely to be popular currently. The phinny style clones vs a free trade/random loot clone. I would say if you are going for just a clone server, it should be the free trade/random loot over a phinny clone simply because that has already been done so many times. Maybe even just a free trade server with no random loot, which imo would be infinitely better.

However I do think if they are dead set on keeping this FTE thing in for testing it, it is probably in their best interest not to add free trade in to this servers ruleset. I'm sure they are smart enough to be aware that the FTE mechanic will be heavily used to grief, and a free trade server would attract a higher number of...lets say...trolls. So it's entirely possible that maybe they took this in to consideration. Maybe they don't want it to be over populated in order to make for better quality testing.

If I had it my way, the new server would take out FTE, add free trade (but not random loot), and change the account bonuses to extend to box accounts.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Critt like this.