Encounter locking - coming to live?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

what is a camp?

The location?

The mob type?

How many mobs you can KEEP DEAD before repops?

To me, meet me at C2 is a camp, but.....

If joe player is killing 12 mobs, one at a time, but at any given cycle half the mobs are UP, that's not a "camp" You can "camp" what you can keep deaded before repops. Attempting to reserve future mobs based on proximal location is misguided and just hinders a server.

If mobs are even up, and not engaged on respawn, you're not camping, you're just hunting there.

Current PnP points toward FFA <explicitly>

also, a second player spamming a spell with a lower casting time, they still win the race, just more easily.

it's just moving DPS race to engagement race, not preventing anything like KSing a camp. Encounter locks won't keep your camp. Superior DPS will though.
  2. Cloud the Third Augur

The only purpose I could see is to stop kill stealing of named mobs. No reason for this other than that but the problems with not being able to help another person will never out weight the stopping of KSing a named. The only other thing I could see if to give kill credit to the first person to aggro but that has worst issues than what they are talking about trying to do.
  3. Windance Augur

The players on your server must be more entitled than mine. I personally haven't had any passive-aggressive tells, messages, etc. about camps in a really long time. Like 5+ yrs.

In fact most of the time people I've sent tells to about camps have been mature and helpful. The exception being those who are AFK'ing but that's a completely different topic.

I don't think first to engage will effect me much, I can think of some ways it could be exploited by people who are disruptive a$$ h@ts.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. strongbus Augur

guess that going come down to people definition of KSing. there seem to be 2 definitions people go with

1st. if a player claim a group of mobs and you take one that not being engaged by them that KSing.

2nd if a player is engage in killing a mob and you come up and try and out dps them for the xp/loot that is ksing

I go with the 2nd definition. although I do respect if a player is trying for a named and will go else where to kill.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  5. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Except the automated kill stealing bots that some people run.
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Same, it has always been first to engage and it's not any form of KS if you did not engage. I personally have always respected other players, but despise gatekeepr players who play the minemineminemine card. I believe encounter locks will lead to more griefing than they will solve.
  7. MustardonWatermelon Elder

I've personally been falsely accused of encroachment by someone posting in this very thread. I can't name them of course, and honestly I don't even care. Not only was it a long time ago on a server I no longer play on, but even at the moment I didn't care. And why would I? The person was completely out of line and I ignored them.

But to your point about FTE on a level 120 server, you are probably right. It probably would not matter too much. Assuming FTE always works correctly, the only negative impact I could really see on a level 120 server is people will no longer be able to power level characters that are out of group with them.

But on a TLP with a classic start? There are so many things that FTE will ruin and make the experience more toxic for everyone. Ask any Mischief player how they felt about how much nicer it was for their to be no real toxicity for components to quest pieces for raid keyed zones.

As described, FTE on Oakwynd is just going to be such a bad experience for people at the start of the server that I feel bad for anyone who would play on it for the first couple of years.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

is the real issue.
  9. uberkingkong Augur

The TLP has 2 things, some reward system, catered only for people already playing.
    - No new player/ returner attraction with this.
    - One time thing, so this isn't going to be put on Live
    Encounter Lockout
    - Can be used anywhere, this is probably what they meant if its good it will be on Live
    - No new player/ returner attraction with this.

Oakwynd TLP is just for moving around current players in EQ

Will it come to Live?
    Sure
    The significant UI update is coming to Live
    The significant 64 bit update has already came to Live
    This Encounter lockout,
    who knows maybe a lot of people showed up on a server, to show their support for it.
    Very significant advancement in EQ, lots of thought, possibly a lot of showup for support from some request on this.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  10. Zarkdon Augur

This won't help kill stealing at all. It will just make it easier for better equipped parties to push low geared players out of a camp. Run in AE taunt with a raid geared tank and the entire camp is now yours.
  11. strongbus Augur

1 big issue i see is pulling using anything that drops aggro instance. Such as perfect fd or bard fade. If these can't be used because of this well it get interesting. If so my sham's ae punt roots going be getting lots of use.
  12. Tappin Augur

So they're adding one of the defining features (tm) that drove people away 'en masse' from EQ2. Can we please spend more time developing content, instead of trying to force people to play your way?
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Cant train people if they are locked out of it till reset.
    Though this hasnt been a big problem for some time, it will prevent accidents.
  14. B0HICA New Member

Don't EQ2 my EQ. No one plays EQ2 for many reasons and this is one of them.
    dreadlord, Vumad, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

It's weird, it seems to make tenured players have the easiest time of it and you join the server later in it's life, even if you group with equal level players, they outlevel you in a day.

Cos max level players are definitely the ones who need the boost /s
  16. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

So much this.

Stop making EQ be other games.

Other games are WHY we play EQ.

duh.
    B0HICA, dreadlord and Yinla like this.
  17. Baulkin Augur

18. Zrae Journeyman

Good bye live pl ing.
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

Always looking for that silver lining.
  20. Tutankamen Augur

It's outrageous this is even being considered. This is telling me Devs and management are too far away from the player base. Raids at high levels are instanced, and I hardly see anyone stealing camps, ever. If zones are too crowded, a new instance/ pick will pop. This is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist outside TLP where raid mobs are in static zones.

If you want to keep your player base on live happy, keep this garbage to TLP, and the 3 people who want this can play there.

People haven't played this game for 20+ years to have the rug pulled out from under them this kind of daisy cutting rule change. You want to improve the game, just give more content, activities, illusions, mounts, new clickies, and fun ideas to improve it- not more restrictions (which is all this is). This is NOT the way.