Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Runes Augur

Devs you dont understand the toxicity that you are enabling with a 1st engage lock on mobs. Pet classes will park pets at spawns or classes that can insta cast spells or abilities that do little or no damage will collect mobs and nothing you can do about it.

At least make the lock happen when a player, group or raid does like 25% of the mobs hit points 1st, so that its clearly a mob that is being engaged and worked on.

Plus what happens if an FD class trains the group and Fds next to them, the mobs have not walked back to their spawn point so will they wipe the other group because its still locked and you cant do any damage to it or the mobs wont aggro other group while locked?
    Rijacki likes this.
  2. Kahna Augur

I would imagine you will find it harder to do in reality than what you have described here. The boxer will likely be playing the toon with the fastest cast/attack/whatever should you beat them to the punch, they aren't about to just sit there and protect you from other mobs. They will 100% move/FD/Invis/whatever, watch you to get swamped by respawns and laugh while you die.
    Everdork99 likes this.
  3. Sweetkisses New Member

Yeah imagine having a monk flop a mob on you that’s unhittable to you.

I suspect it would ignore you, and that the other scenario with this opening up other exploits will be the implementation.

Such as a monk outside the group tagging a couple mobs on a pull and dragging them to nearby the group and letting the group tag the non locked mobs while the ones the monk hit ignore them and wander back to spawn and reset.
  4. Larsen Augur

It just almost never matters. Unless you're trying to farm one of a select few items during Classic and Kunark, KSing is not really a concern. It's not like you join a group somewhere and constantly fight to get the first tag on something. You spend the staggering majority of the time just doing completely ordinary pulling and tagging your own group's mobs because there's no meaningful competition for them. I guess it eliminates cross-camp mobstealing, but who in their right mind considers that an experimental ruleset? Like the people at frenzy camp won't steal mobs from the people at hamlord as much. Yay. So experimental.

It's the kind of thing that may matter a little bit for the efreeti camp and stuff like that which is typically monopolized by tryhard sweatlords, but for almost any player, it won't matter at all. It's not like people routinely try to KS Armsman in Sebilis or something like that. For most players, this mechanic makes no difference. Competitive pulling mostly stops after classic, and becomes entirely irrelevant after Kunark. It's not a mechanic that matters really. Even when there is competitive pulling going on, all this does is change the winner from the one who can out-aggro the other puller (or bard-charm the pulled mob) to the one who tags it first. It's just largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

It's something that affects the 2% of the playerbase who are either trying to snipe-farm big krono items early on in the server's timeline where that actually takes place, or compete for open-world raid targets. Everyone else is unaffected at almost all times.
  5. Elabone Augur

Truebox has done the job, thats where youre wrong. It was originally put in to combat the people boxing 54 characters. Those people are a very very rare sight nowadays.

You cant say the barrier of entry is too high when a mini PC costs 150 dollars. If people REALLY wanted to buy one, they could easily cut something out in order to do so. Coffee, cigarettes, weed. I mean pick 1 day a month where you would normally order out and you can save yourself 30 bucks. In 5 months you have your PC, this isnt an insane concept.

PlotTwist, the people who want to box, are boxing. Those who dont are not, and for some reason theres a small contingent of players who complain about the Truebox rules.

PS, if they changed how truebox functions, every 6 boxer immediately becomes an 18 boxer, and you playing 3 toons on 1 PC, are still leagues behind.
    Schwifty likes this.
  6. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

I love everything about it.
    I have found my new TLP home.
    *sees the EQ mod's mouse hovering over the delete button*
    I am moderately excited and will play on the server to live with adequate enthusiasm.
    Lejaun likes this.
  7. Everdork99 Lorekeeper

You can't stop jerks from being jerks, True. They will just be Jerks in a different way.
    At least now though you do not have to be DPS kinds to stop them.....butit also means they don't have to be dps kings to be a jerk so......its a crapshoot. Still, probably not worse just not better either.
    Zrender likes this.
  8. Lejaun Augur

Seconded. I absolutely love this ruleset. The only thing I wish it had was free trade / random loot, but I'm still very happy with how it is.
  9. Ruhi Augur

i think trying the encounter locking system will be fine - if it feels that detrimental, don't play on the new tlp - there are many other servers with dps raceable mobs.

the kneejerks here are akin to them applying encounter locking to every server

just relax, give the new tlp a shot or not

the what if scenarios are wild with bold assumptions - the game already has highly toxic encounters with dps races - bard charms and running away - sk harm touch on low lvl mobs - mutliboxing necro/mages - i think most of the nae-sayers here are those folks that have mastered killstealing for the last 20 years and now it's about to change.

right now, if a cleric is sitting on gimblox - any other dps class can show up and take it - and i've seen it happen - there are edgelords on every tlp - i expect fte to have it flaws as well, but im willing to see how it works overall.
    Fallfyres and Zrender like this.
  10. Jontrann Augur

Imagine thinking this server will last till live lol
    HowDidIEndUpBackHere likes this.
  11. coltongrundy Augur

You're in a lguk, finally got a Frenzied camp. rando monk comes and feigns at the spawn. Doesn't say anything, doesn't touch anything. He allows you to keep clearing place holders. Then, as soon as the frenzied ghoul spawns, he immediately stands up and aggros it. Encounter locked to the monk. He pulls it back to where your group is so he's safe from adds, and there's nothing you can do about it. You're not going to (can't) train him back to try to force him to flop it, and even though there's only 1 of him and 6 of you, you can't out DPS him because: it's encounter locked.

Small brained individuals who think FTE needs to be enforced lack the foresight to realize how it will be used against them. This makes it easier for people to "steal" the rares from your "camps".
    Dragon Jockey and Crabman like this.
  12. Rebelord Journeyman

While this might not be a completely awful idea, I don't think it's good for a TLP. It makes more sense on a slower moving live server to be able to do this.

I would be surprised if any noticeable amount of players actually invested the time and money to utilize this feature on a TLP. Would love to be able to see the stats on this after the fact.

Slightly off topic, but I'd personally rather see a stacking bonus from completing on-level TLP challenges every unlock, like quests or raids and over time you would build up the bonus from actually playing and participating in the server. This sounds more enjoyable then mind-numbingly leveling up alts you don't care about.
    Lexx42 likes this.
  13. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Legacy characters and encounter locking have been on EQ2 for years. So in that sense, they have been "tested" and they are part of the franchise. But, yes, they've not been in EQ.

EQ2 also has a concept of "groups" for mobs that cannot be agro split like mobs standing around together in EQ can. Pulling is a different strategy there, but it still happens. There are also spells and actions that hit a group vs true AE.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  14. Lejaun Augur

This is a great addition for a TLP. It encourages people to play in the grouping game more often and roll up alts, which means new people or people who fall behind can find groups to level with and not have to resort to PL's as much like they used to.
    Fallfyres, Sanduleak, zenless and 2 others like this.
  15. Critt Augur

They need to make it free trade and make raid lockouts character only.... That would be the only way I would bother with an alt on the same account making that legacy characters thing slightly useful.
    spiff likes this.
  16. Ruhi Augur

this already happens with dps races, but another group just comes and sits on top of you instead.
  17. Lejaun Augur

Imagine not even worrying about it and just enjoying the the ruleset as is. Play on it or don't.
  18. Sakuraba Augur

Yeah, Free Trade at bare minimum would have been an improvement on what's already a relatively passable ruleset.

It is curious to me that most of the haters are boxers or people "thinking of the economic impact". Almost as if fun is secondary, RMT is primary with them.
    spiff likes this.
  19. Thatoneguy666 Elder

Literally nothing about this proposed ruleset is any good, with the exception of the bonus loot and exp etc. But that should all be in at launch. Why in the world do we have to wait 2 or 3 years for the server to get "good".

Overall this is a pile of dung. Try again next year I guess
    wade_watts likes this.
  20. coltongrundy Augur

You're not understanding that this rule actually makes it easier for people to take rares from other peoples "camps". It used to be if someone tried to take the name from your camp you had methods to try to get it back, now you do not. Once the take it from you, you have no way to get it back. Even if you have the dps, too bad. FTE makes it easier to steal rares even when they don't have the dps to out damage your group.
    Siah and Crabman like this.